Maxwell

zanela

Please quote my post again. :p (for the corrections i've made)

Chyg's team at the time played defensive against us. So, he had a lot of support. It's a diff thing playing for us.

Gnegneri

immaculately conceived
Seems you are as good with calculating transfer fees and available as Txiki? :D

But I reckon so is playing for Palermo or Denmark?

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
pep has faith in chysus.

I have faith in pep.

therefore, I have faith in chysus.

plus he looked rather handy in RCB.

Z, what are your assurances that kjaer would settle in la liga? he has made his name in serie 'a' - a league unlike la liga in pace. samuel looked world-class in calcio but came to la liga and looked like a donkey. plus palermo are a mid-table team, how would he handle playing in europe? could he hack the pressures at the highest level? chysus is struggling and he won the uefa cup last season!

as for luiz... he's probably a safer bet but why on earth would we sign a CB to play LB? pep's new system is more symmetrical, and the LB has to be able to play - which is why he was so keen on filipe. moreover, luiz plays just like puyol, milito and muniesa. signing someone of that style would be superfluous if pep had faith in gabi returning and/or muniesa emerging, which obviously he did/does. meanwhile, marquez is clearly on the way out which leaves us only one tall composed ball-playing CB in piqué. chysus' signing means we now have two.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Pep has faith in everybody. Even when he loses confidence in a player he'll still defend him and I think that's great. However, that does not mean people won't be feeling disappointed with his slowness or be pleased with his passing. Spain ain't England as someone pointed out wisely. Mediterranean mentality is something special and certainly one of the reasons there's so much passion surrounding Barca.

zanela

Seems you are as good with calculating transfer fees and available as Txiki? :D

I've had a busy and a stressful day. And, i wrote that in a hurry. :p

But I reckon so is playing for Palermo or Denmark?

Z, what are your assurances that kjaer would settle in la liga? he has made his name in serie 'a' - a league unlike la liga in pace. samuel looked world-class in calcio but came to la liga and looked like a donkey. plus palermo are a mid-table team, how would he handle playing in europe? could he hack the pressures at the highest level? chysus is struggling and he won the uefa cup last season!

There are no assurances but there are risks involved in every transfer. We took one with a CB playing in the Brazilian league and another with a uruguayan. So why not the danish playing in one of the top leagues and more talented than the other two? He is athletic, strong, great anticipation, good in the air and not too slow either. He'll take less time adapting to La liga than some one whose come from the Ukranian league. Besides, hes done well for his national side so far & at only 20 years of age. Didn't he do a good job on zlatan in the last WCQ? So, it's not like he can't handle pressure at the highest level.
The fact that some of Europe's top clubs are all chasing him speaks volumes of highly hes rated as a defender. Those who 've watched him need no convincing of what a gr8 future prospect he is. The best young defender right now. A talent like him can grow anywhere. :party00231:

as for luiz... he's probably a safer bet but why on earth would we sign a CB to play LB? pep's new system is more symmetrical, and the LB has to be able to play - which is why he was so keen on filipe. moreover, luiz plays just like puyol, milito and muniesa. signing someone of that style would be superfluous if pep had faith in gabi returning and/or muniesa emerging, which obviously he did/does. meanwhile, marquez is clearly on the way out which leaves us only one tall composed ball-playing CB in piqué. chysus' signing means we now have two.

Isn't he a CB/LB? a versatile defender who can play both positions very well.
Puyol is ageing and i doubt Milito 'll be the same player he was pre-injury. And we've two defenders pep quite clearly doesn't rate, so selling them and buying him instead isn't such a bad idea after all.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Zanela... you do dream about this perfect world!!! it never gonna happen until Txiki is in charge :(

Not sure whether we really do need this Kjaer, but David Luiz would have been AWESOME. That bloody bugger is not available even on football manager to at least realize my dream in a bloody simulation :(

Cal-FCB

Wurzeltron
I have Luiz and Kjaer for my Sevilla team on FM2010 Estel :lol: although Kjaer didn't develop that well. Based on this, I wouldn't support his signing for Barca.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
I have Luiz and Kjaer for my Sevilla team on FM2010 Estel :lol: although Kjaer didn't develop that well. Based on this, I wouldn't support his signing for Barca.

Hey where did you find Luiz man!? I searched all his names, but couldn't find him

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
There are no assurances but there are risks involved in every transfer. We took one with a CB playing in the Brazilian league and another with a uruguayan. So why not the danish playing in one of the top leagues and more talented than the other two? He is athletic, strong, great anticipation, good in the air and not too slow either. He'll take less time adapting to La liga than some one whose come from the Ukranian league. Besides, hes done well for his national side so far & at only 20 years of age. Didn't he do a good job on zlatan in the last WCQ? So, it's not like he can't handle pressure at the highest level.

WCQ isn't really the highest level, especially given how duff that group turned out to be.

I watched him vs. zlatan, and he did a good job, but at the same time the service into zlatan was a giant piece of shit and in one of the contests the big fella wasn't even fully fit. also, if I may digress slightly here: who puts two 6'4 targetmen up-top together? I mean it's not like either is a lithe pacy 6'4 either. they're both tanks. they're kinda quick once they get going but they need more mobile partners. jesus lars, you idiot.

anyway back on track, yeah, he's good. I'm still not convinced by your assertation that he'd take less time adapting to lliga than someone from ukraine. I mean it's entirely possible but let's be honest you're just guessing.

The fact that some of Europe's top clubs are all chasing him speaks volumes of highly hes rated as a defender. Those who 've watched him need no convincing of what a gr8 future prospect he is. The best young defender right now. A talent like him can grow anywhere. :party00231:

piqué and evans are both better than kjaer and have proven their worth at the very top levels of club football. kjaer played well in a soft WCQ group and plays well for a midtable serie 'a' team. he's got skills, but there's nothing to suggest he's a world-beater waiting to happen. especially because he still plays for palermo (if he was that good he either would have gone straight to a top team or someone would have bought him this summer).

anyway, as it happens I do think he's awesome and if he keeps working and improving, he could get there. but I don't think there's anything that indicates he'd be a guaranteed hit at barca (DL, however, probably would be). not moreso than chygrynskiy. who may not have had all of europe's top clubs chasing after him, but he had pep after him. and with all due respect to europe's top clubs, I respect pep's opinion more than theirs.

Isn't he a CB/LB? a versatile defender who can play both positions very well.
Puyol is ageing and i doubt Milito 'll be the same player he was pre-injury. And we've two defenders pep quite clearly doesn't rate, so selling them and buying him instead isn't such a bad idea after all.

well he's clearly right-footed, which tells me he's a CB first and foremost and can play at LB due to the portuguese league being, by and large, a pile of shit.

we need our LB to have a left foot.

puyol is 31. he'll be 32 next year. for a defender, this is fine. his moving out of the squad (as he hits his mid-30's) will hopefully coincide perfectly with muniesa moving into the squad in his late teens/early 20's. there's no need to mess with that mojo.

gabi looked just fine to me. and considering he's had about, what, 90 minutes total of football in the last year and a half before the sevilla game and still looked confident as ever speaks volumes. I think we were all premature in writing mr. milito off.

anyway, DL is clearly awesome but we don't have a place for him in our squad.

Co0ter

I'm actually quite happy with Maxwell. Given the amount of playtime he's gotten he's actually a really good defender. He makes pretty good decisions when attacking and always goes to open space to become a pass outlet, that is something Abidal is really poor at. Defensively he's been pretty good too, 1 vs 1 he's done well but his positioning is off at times. I think if he's given more playtime his positioning would improve a bit.

For 4.5 million I honestly think he was a steal. I actually like him a lot.

zanela

WCQ isn't really the highest level, especially given how duff that group turned out to be.

WCQ isn't really the highest level. But, it's a higher level than the second rate European competition which is the UEFA Cup. Not all teams really care THAT much about winning the UEFA Cup, as clubs who compete for it are more concerned about doing well in their respective leagues. As such, play out a second string side till they reach the Qfs/semis. While for most players it's a matter of prestige representing their country and tend to put in more effort as it's once in a lifetime opportunity to be playing in the WC. You don't get picked for ur National side unless ur doing really well for ur club.The matches are also spread out over a longer period, and 've to play with teammates they are not accustomed to playing week in week out unlike playing for your club. All these factors make it more difficult for a team to qualify for the WC than winning the Europa league. Ask Chygy, whose team got dumped out. ;)
So, if Chyg gets points for UEFA Cup experience, Kjaer too should, for doing well in WCQ.(i still think it was a tough group considering it took the last couple of games to decide the group's fate...even if u like to disagree there)

anyway back on track, yeah, he's good. I'm still not convinced by your assertation that he'd take less time adapting to lliga than someone from ukraine. I mean it's entirely possible but let's be honest you're just guessing.

It's not really a guess. Kjaer is younger, more intelligent and a better defender than the Ukranian. He also has quick feet unlike the latter. This would help him adapt to liga in less time than chyg. And, if i'm honest here, just because he won a second rate european tournament, his defending is being overrated. His assets are his vision and great passing range which is why i think Pep brought him here. But he tends to lack in the defensive department. Bad positioning, tackling, no pace, and doesn't anticipate well and make up for his horrendous errors.

piqué and evans are both better than kjaer and have proven their worth at the very top levels of club football. kjaer played well in a soft WCQ group and plays well for a midtable serie 'a' team.

Point to be noted here is that Kjaer is only 20y.o i.e 2yrs younger than Piqué and 1 year in case of Evans. Piqué looked promising & good but not as good as the dane at the same age. He didn't get picked by his national side at 20. Tbh, Evans isn't even THAT good. And, only Man Utd fans rate Evans alongside Piqué. :lol: He looks good when paired with an experienced and quality defender, but looks extremely vulnerable, exposed & very ordinary otherwise. I don't remember him doing a good job on a world class defender in a high pressure match (from what i've seen of him) Kjaer despite being younger is a much better defender than Evans. IMO, the dane has more potential and talent, and if he continues to improve & with more experience he'll become better than both Piqué and Evans :)lol:)....Sorry, but i don't rate Evans.

he's got skills, but there's nothing to suggest he's a world-beater waiting to happen. especially because he still plays for palermo (if he was that good he either would have gone straight to a top team or someone would have bought him this summer).

I don't understand the need to knock down a player 'coz he plays for a mid-table club. So, what if he didn't 've the luxury of being a Man Utd youth product? Ronnie didn't 've the greatest beginnings or wasn't playing for a top European Club at 20. While Oleguer played for Barca B and stayed with the first team for 5 years. Sometimes top clubs keep hold of some of their youth teamers even if they aren't THAT good for various reasons...loyalty, lack of options, tight budget etc etc. But playing for a top club doesn't automatically mean ur a world beater. Likewise, playing for a mid-table club doesn't mean your not good enough for a top club.
The only reason Kjaer hasn't moved to a top club is not due to lack of any suitors but 'coz of the WC . No 20y.o would like to jeopardise his WC chances by moving to a diff country/league when the WC is around the horizon. But, i bet he'll be knicked by one of the big guns after the WC. Most likely Man Utd, as a replacement for Vidic as Fergie has been chasing him for some time now. It also speaks volumes of his quality when one of the best managers in the world considers u worthy enough to replace a world class defender and at only 20years of age.

Last edited:

Co0ter

He looked comfortable today and played very well. He played with the potential he's had from the begining. The only bad thing he did was get a yellow which shouldnt of been a yellow in the first place.

Home of Barca Fans