Maxwell

Catalonian Devil

Shukran Pep
There wasn't much to do when he came on. It would actually suck if he looked nothing but confident when we 're winning by an insane margin at home. :lol:
Those who don't rate him are right in their assessment. He IS a defensive liabilty. In this match alone, he got turned over while in possession leading to a counter. Only Abidal has pace to recover and adriano is stronger with a better workrate in him. So such instances don't cost us nearly as much as when Maxwell is on the pitch. Anything postive that he brings to the attack is cancelled out by his incompetence at the back. In fact, its more a deficit with him.

I never said he isn't a defensive liability, but his replacement Adriano isn't really that much of an improvement on the defensive end. The great link-up play and good crossing that Maxwell offers going forward is of much more use than what Adriano offers, who can't cross for shit and doesn't really have any chemistry with any of our attacking players. I guess what I'm trying to say is what Maxwell offers over Adriano in attack is of more use than what the latter offers over the former in defense .

We have king Abidal when we need to protect our backline, but when we have to risk it and commit another man forward when the situation calls for it, I'd rather see Maxwell going forward than Adriano...

Plus Maxwell plays much better than Adriano at a winger position.

10Rivaldo

Hoy, mañana y siempre traductor
I never said he isn't a defensive liability, but his replacement Adriano isn't really that much of an improvement on the defensive end. The great link-up play and good crossing that Maxwell offers going forward is of much more use than what Adriano offers, who can't cross for shit and doesn't really have any chemistry with any of our attacking players. I guess what I'm trying to say is what Maxwell offers over Adriano in attack is of more use than what the latter offers over the former in defense .

We have king Abidal when we need to protect our backline, but when we have to risk it and commit another man forward when the situation calls for it, I'd rather see Maxwell going forward than Adriano...

Plus Maxwell plays much better than Adriano at a winger position.

Completely disagree, Adriano is much better going forward imo. Firstly I've never even seen Maxwell attempt to make a cross, he always passes back. He's got no pace which is a bit of a problem for a wing back, he can't dribble, and his defending is average at best. Adriano is much quicker, decent crossing (see Messi's winner in the last Clasico), much better dribbling (see assist to Cesc in Joan Gamper), and I'd say their defensive abilities are about the same except Adriano is much quicker.

zanela

I would agree with 10Rivaldo. Just like to add, that Adriano is also stronger on the ball and better tackler. He's also positionally more aware than Max. So I wouldn't really call them equal on the defensive side. Adriano is also proven against the tougher opponents. I know who i'd rather fill in for Abi.

ricknattery

Completely disagree, Adriano is much better going forward imo. Firstly I've never even seen Maxwell attempt to make a cross, he always passes back. He's got no pace which is a bit of a problem for a wing back, he can't dribble, and his defending is average at best. Adriano is much quicker, decent crossing (see Messi's winner in the last Clasico), much better dribbling (see assist to Cesc in Joan Gamper), and I'd say their defensive abilities are about the same except Adriano is much quicker.

Exactly Adriano can beat a player with his pace , take the ball till the line and deliver great crosses(Messi being the primary receptor). Only time I saw Maxwell doing it efficiently was against Inter in San Siro. I'd take Adriano over Maxwell anytime

Catalonian Devil

Shukran Pep
Adriano's one cross in the Classico doesn't erase the atrocious crossing in all his other games. I really don't know how you think Adriano is a better dribbler than Maxwell. Maxwell is a technical player and can indeed dribble very well while Adriano relies on pace to beat anyone. Also Adriano seems on a totally different wavelength to our attacking trio most of the time, while Maxwell links-up with the perfectly, which is critical when you're looking for an outlet in a close game. Maxwell has proven to be useful against tough opponents too, see Inter CL semi-final or vs Sevilla in the final and decisive game of the La Liga season.

Anyways I know I'm fighting a losing battle since most cules have already given up on him, but I still believe the qualities he has are always overlooked...

Bilal Khan

Tito > Mou
Maxwell was great for us in 09/10 he even played at times at RB..
Adriano has been good as well esp before he got injured in the King cup final..

zanela

You lot can't be serious bringing up the Inter game in his favour? At the San Siro, he did given one assist, but he was at fault for all 3 goals Inter scored. They all came from his side - caught out of position, failed to neither block/intercept any cross & got beat for pace. In short, he got totally roasted on the defense side of things. In the return leg, he didn't 've much to do (defensively) given Inter's airbus tactics. Adriano is by far a reliable option.

gingerless

+1

my boy adriano eats maxy for breakfast

xsever

Adriano is more versatile while Maxwell seems one-dimensional.

Offensively, Adriano is 10 times better than Maxwell. Adriano takes on defenders and crosses while Maxwell just "passes back" and takes it easy.

W

Worms

You lot can't be serious bringing up the Inter game in his favour? At the San Siro, he did given one assist, but he was at fault for all 3 goals Inter scored. They all came from his side - caught out of position, failed to neither block/intercept any cross & got beat for pace. In short, he got totally roasted on the defense side of things. In the return leg, he didn't 've much to do (defensively) given Inter's airbus tactics. Adriano is by far a reliable option.

No he weren't at at fault for inters 3 goals that's bullshit.The only goal where he was partly at fault was there second goal,even then it was a great counter attack and the whole team defended badly.The first goal was Alves fault and the third was Messis fault.

Good game today,still a good squad player.

E

estranged

He was his usual utility guy today and even then still a couple of mistakes creeped in. With Adriano around I don't think Maxwell should stay much longer, Adriano is superior in every department IMO.

No he weren't at at fault for inters 3 goals that's bullshit.The only goal where he was partly at fault was there second goal,even then it was a great counter attack and the whole team defended badly.The first goal was Alves fault and the third was Messis fault.

Good game today,still a good squad player.

The second goal was his fault yea, but you know there have been so many games where Pep has subbed Maxwell in towards the closing stages and within minutes we concede a goal that was started on the left side. I was even nervous about that today, he has too many mistakes in him.

W

Worms

He was his usual utility guy today and even then still a couple of mistakes creeped in. With Adriano around I don't think Maxwell should stay much longer, Adriano is superior in every department IMO.

The second goal was his fault yea, but you know there have been so many games where Pep has subbed Maxwell in towards the closing stages and within minutes we concede a goal that was started on the left side. I was even nervous about that today, he has too many mistakes in him.

I think he's capable of playing better though,in the 09 -10 season he was very good and pushed Abidal out of the team.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Seen that Sport rated Maxwell as our worst player of the night. I guess this is his last season with Barca.

Home of Barca Fans