Mehdi Benatia

Tomchin

Why do people keep posting: "give club X what they want and give player Y what they want." While dissing Zubi at every chance they get? Irony much?
Because Zubi can't get any deal done? (except the ones that no one wants, like Bravo ;))

What's the irony about that?

Tomchin

That is why I said almost and I'm sure they will agree to a fee if there is really interest because City have unlimited resources.

How many can City spend at the moment, by the way?
60M, which is 60M less than Barca's 120M transfer-budget this summer (Bartomeu's words, not mine)

Tomchin

No chance.

If you google Marquinhos wages it shows as 800k.... from 2012.

Go and look at the media reports from last year. Almost all are quoting 5/6m euros net when he moved to PSG.
Don't shoot at the messenger, it was PSG-expert Bertus who wrote that :) But he corrected it afterwards to a higher number, I guess he'll post it when he visist this tread.

JamDav1982

Because Zubi can't get any deal done? (except the ones that no one wants, like Bravo ;))

What's the irony about that?

They have probably done more deals than any top club in europe and for some of the most sought after young players going - Ter Stegen and Hallilovic.

They messed up by not getting a CB last summer and it is important that they get it right this summer but making out Benatia is the only answer and they should pay whatever it takes is a joke.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
I wouldnt focus too much on Benatias comments about wages offered by Roma.

Comments like that come from players all the time when they are looking to leave a club, making out Roma screwed him over for wages when he wasnt even looking for that much.

He is looking for a way out and trying to put blame on club and not himself.

I doubt Barcelona have just broken off negotiations, it seems they have told him what they will offer and have left the ball in his court. They wont get into a bidding war with oil rich clubs.

Cant agree with your assessment of Benatia from what I have seen either. Good player but not worth getting into a bidding war for at the age of 27.

Your interpretation hinges on little fact and a lot of speculation. He said that Roma had an agreement with him to double his wages if they got CL football. His salary to begin with was extremely low, so doubling that is still a relatively low salary. It's a possibility that he used this situation as an excuse for angling a move anyway, but there's nothing to support that at all.

I don't think the club even had thorough financial negotiations in the first place. I think Barca's interest was established, Benatia's interest as well, and then after that they had to deal with Roma and we went off to Marquinhos. He's not worth a bidding war which we'd lose, but who says it has to go that far anyway? Just put a solid offer on the table and try and convince him/his agent as much as you can both financially and from a sporting aspect and then let him decide. We don't have to constantly raise offers to match a club that's willing to pay sky-high amounts, but you have to put a lot of effort into it and do what you can to convince Benatia of coming here. Harboring a "take it or leave it" attitude is incredibly stupid considering we are not in the stronger position for negotiations and that we have a lack of other options.

Alik

Make bartra starting cb and buy a less high profile one to rotate. ;)

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

Tomchin

So they will splash everything only for a defender?
Yes, because Benatia would cost 120M? Even if we'd pay 40M for Benatia (which is a huge if, because 40M is Roma's asking price, so he will be sold for less eventually), there'd still be 80M left for other transfers. And I'm not sure whether that 120M includes outgoing transfers too, because in case we sign 2 CBs, of course Mascherano needs to leave which would generate extra cash.

Tomchin

They have probably done more deals than any top club in europe and for some of the most sought after young players going - Ter Stegen and Hallilovic.
Halilovic is a great signing indeed, but the opinions about Ter Stegen are still divided, let's first see how he performs at at topclub like Barca. Let's not forget that the combined cost of Ter Stegen and Bravo will supposedly be 25M, for that price we almost can buy a Courtois. But anyway, that's for another thread.

They messed up by not getting a CB last summer and it is important that they get it right this summer but making out Benatia is the only answer and they should pay whatever it takes is a joke.
But which other high-profile experienced CBs are on the market? I'm curious which ones you'd like to sign. We can't forget that this summer is an extremely crucial one, considering we still have that FIFA-ban hanging over our head for the next transfer-window.

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead
So they will splash everything only for a defender?

That's why we are actually in better position now because if City spend 40M on one defender they don't have much left. Unless they will be selling someone, but Lescott's contract already expired so if they gonna sell players from other positions they will loose squad depth. On the other hand, they might actually don't care about ffp like PSG...

Last edited:

Bertus

Don't shoot at the messenger, it was PSG-expert Bertus who wrote that :) But he corrected it afterwards to a higher number, I guess he'll post it when he visist this tread.
3M is the most current number flying around in France for 2013 since PSG is being secretive. After my mistake here, i almost asked for it everywhere i could and didnt get a concrete answer.

What do we know from a ranking in a french sport magazine is that Lucas Digne earns more than him (Digne is at 3M).

We also know there's a special clause in his contract that says his salary increases via bonus every year to hit a maximum of 10M in 2018

Bertus

3M is the most current number flying around in France for 2013 since PSG is being secretive. After my mistake here, i almost asked for it everywhere i could and didnt get a concrete answer.

What do we know from a ranking in a french sport magazine is that Lucas Digne earns a little more more than him in 2013 (Digne is at 3M).

We also know there's a special clause in his contract that says his salary increases via bonus every year to hit a maximum of 10M in 2018

JamDav1982

What do we know from a ranking in a french sport magazine is that Lucas Digne earns more than him (Digne is at 3M).

Google media sources from last summer and they state 5/6m euors net.

Home of Barca Fans