Mehdi Benatia

Tomchin

That article says that wages of 4m net have been offered which would be closer to 8m a season.

Which is over 150k a week.
I read that he wants 4M gross (not net). But there's always confusion between gross and net salaries everywhere (I don't even know whether Alves earns 8M gross or net at Barca tbh), so difficult to know which one is correct.

hardyboy

He has even said that if Roma had offered him 4m per year as promised, he would've renewed his contract..

JamDav1982

I read that he wants 4M gross (not net). But there's always confusion between gross and net salaries everywhere (I don't even know whether Alves earns 8M gross or net at Barca tbh), so difficult to know which one is correct.

The article posted states 4m net.

Which is much more accurate for a player that is rumoured to be going for 35/40m

Can barely think of any player that have gone for over 35m that are not on at least 150k a week and if there is a bidding war for the player wages will be higher than normal.

No chance at all Benatia is going anywhere for under 100k a week. Wait and see.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
That article says that wages of 4m net have been offered which would be closer to 8m a season.

Which is over 150k a week.

Hmm, that seems more within the realistic ballpark for a top level player. Either way, that's a proposal at a club like City where wage package offers are their biggest calling card and it's not around the 200k per week figure which you were against. We still don't have that much information about City's offer and have no information about what Barca would offer him.

Given what he wanted Roma to offer him, I don't think that wages are Benatia's only priority even if he does want more money. If we were to actually prioritize his transfer, he'd be more than happy with around 6-7m, maybe less with incentives and a bigger signing bonus. The issue is in the negotiations, which we've backed off from. Benatia is a defender with the physical profile and the skillset that we need at the club for our defensive security for the next couple of seasons.

Give Roma what they want and give him the wages he wants. It's not like Roma and Benatia are asking for sums we can't afford. Do Zubi and co really think we can afford to be stingy here? :facepalm:

Tomchin

Can barely think of any player that have gone for over 35m that are not on at least 150k a week and if there is a bidding war for the player wages will be higher than normal.
Bertus gave the perfect example some days ago: Marquinhos. Apparently he's on a very low wage too.

H

Haruko The Goon

City in for Benatia? Bloody hope not. Kompany/Benatia will be a powerful duo. Two beasts.

JamDav1982

Hmm, that seems more within the realistic ballpark for a top level player. Either way, that's a proposal at a club like City where wage package offers are their biggest calling card and it's not around the 200k per week figure which you were against. We still don't have that much information about City's offer and have no information about what Barca would offer him.

Given what he wanted Roma to offer him, I don't think that wages are Benatia's only priority even if he does want more money. If we were to actually prioritize his transfer, he'd be more than happy with around 6-7m, maybe less with incentives and a bigger signing bonus. The issue is in the negotiations, which we've backed off from. Benatia is a defender with the physical profile and the skillset that we need at the club for our defensive security for the next couple of seasons.

I wouldnt focus too much on Benatias comments about wages offered by Roma.

Comments like that come from players all the time when they are looking to leave a club, making out Roma screwed him over for wages when he wasnt even looking for that much.

He is looking for a way out and trying to put blame on club and not himself.

I doubt Barcelona have just broken off negotiations, it seems they have told him what they will offer and have left the ball in his court. They wont get into a bidding war with oil rich clubs.

Cant agree with your assessment of Benatia from what I have seen either. Good player but not worth getting into a bidding war for at the age of 27.

suckabov

Lemon curry?
It's not 100% done at all. The only rumour is that City and Benatia have a deal, not that Roma have agreed to a fee.

JamDav1982

Bertus gave the perfect example some days ago: Marquinhos. Apparently he's on a very low wage too.

When Marquinhos moved last year his wage was being reported as around 5m euors net.

That is more than the net figure being quoted for Benatia.

No idea how accurate that is.

Galning

Why do people keep posting: "give club X what they want and give player Y what they want." While dissing Zubi at every chance they get? Irony much?

L

linetty

It's not 100% done at all. The only rumour is that City and Benatia have a deal, not that Roma have agreed to a fee.
That is why I said almost and I'm sure they will agree to a fee if there is really interest because City have unlimited resources.

How many can City spend at the moment, by the way?

JamDav1982

Bertus wrote that it was 800K net. But then he corrected the number afterwards, don't remember anymore what the final number was.

No chance.

If you google Marquinhos wages it shows as 800k.... from 2012.

Go and look at the media reports from last year. Almost all are quoting 5/6m euros net when he moved to PSG.

Home of Barca Fans