Mehdi Benatia

JamDav1982

They should, but won't. He's not a forward, or popular enough.

The majority of the players signed this summer have not been forwards or even that popular.

Rakitic, Suarez, Bravo even pursuit of Cuadrado shows how popular a player is is not that high on the list of priorities.

Personally I am glad they are not paying 50m for Benatia and there are many other top clubs looking for CBs that wont pay that for him either.

Paganinisrvnge

50M for Benatia is a better deal than 40M for Marquinhos. Benatia would instantly make our back 4 much better. Meanwhile, Marquinhos is still a raw talent who could turn out to be not as good as we hoped. It's an expensive gamble we shouldn't take. I'd gladly take Marquinhos for 20M but not 40M.

JamDav1982

50M for Benatia is a better deal than 40M for Marquinhos. Benatia would instantly make our back 4 much better. Meanwhile, Marquinhos is still a raw talent who could turn out to be not as good as we hoped. It's an expensive gamble we shouldn't take. I'd gladly take Marquinhos for 20M but not 40M.

Personally would rather Marquinhos for 40m as he could be at the club for 10/12 years and although not the finished article has all the atributes to be a Barca center back.

Think Benatia is massively hyped on the back of top season. Good player and if he is worth 50m someone will pay it but personally dont him being as good for Barca as people make out.

Bertus

The only reason I can think is roma not selling for less than 50m or more. Because a club saying "no, he's not for sale" is not stopping the pursue of Marquinhos. Or it's Lucho who really wants Marquinhos and no one else.

If that's the case, then wanting things is nice, but being obtuse is going too far.

If they go only for Marquinhos and fail then they are not better than the previous people that were obtuse last year and added possible difficulties by not signing players they should sign.

As a fan of both clubs i'm a bit fed up by those behaviors but i try to refrain and see how it will be on september 1st.

But so far, the more time passes, the less i'm confident that people who are in charge really learned from some past mistakes that were actually big mistakes.

F

Flavia

The majority of the players signed this summer have not been forwards or even that popular.

Rakitic, Suarez, Bravo even pursuit of Cuadrado shows how popular a player is is not that high on the list of priorities.

Personally I am glad they are not paying 50m for Benatia and there are many other top clubs looking for CBs that wont pay that for him either.
Neither of rakitic, bravo or mathieu cost 50m, did they? Suarez is popular, and a forward. I also doubt they'd pay more than 40m for cuadrado, or marquinhos.

Tomchin

But so far, the more time passes, the less i'm confident that people who are in charge really learned from some past mistakes that were actually big mistakes.
True, if we spend whole August chasing Marquinhos, and eventually end up with no one, I'll be furious.

L

linetty

Personally would rather Marquinhos for 40m as he could be at the club for 10/12 years and although not the finished article has all the atributes to be a Barca center back.

Think Benatia is massively hyped on the back of top season. Good player and if he is worth 50m someone will pay it but personally dont him being as good for Barca as people make out.
Agreed.

Paganinisrvnge

I understand Marquinhoa is young and talented but imagine how stupid the board would look if he flopped. A healthy Benatia would be guaranteed top 10 CB for at least three seasons. Marquinhos could turn out to be mediocre or very great. It's a gamble.

JamDav1982

I understand Marquinhoa is young and talented but imagine how stupid the board would look if he flopped. A healthy Benatia would be guaranteed top 10 CB for at least three seasons. Marquinhos could turn out to be mediocre or very great. It's a gamble.

Nothing would be guaranteed with Benatia. He may well not fit into the system.

There are no guarantees and from what I have seen am not sure he has the pace or the technical ability to play at Barca.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
40-50 mill. for any defender is too much. Simeone forged one of the best defensive walls in recent years out of Felipe,Miranda,Godin and Juanfran. All those players played for Atleti before Simeone and none were so highly rated. That's what the right tactics do. Come to think of it, similar thing happened to Benatia under Martinez so who knows how he'd look here.
Pique,Bartra,Mathieu and Agger are good enough as long as Lucho works his part.

JamDav1982

40-50 mill. for any defender is too much. Simeone forged one of the best defensive walls in recent years out of Felipe,Miranda,Godin and Juanfran. All those players played for Atleti before Simeone and none were so highly rated. That's what the right tactics do. Come to think of it, similar thing happened to Benatia under Martinez so who knows how he'd look here.
Pique,Bartra,Mathieu and Agger are good enough as long as Lucho works his part.

Barcelona will never play with the type of system that Simeone has at Atletico. There are different types of players needed that need to be better when players running at them and when they are pulled into midfield or full back areas.

An example would be Garay - in the world cup he and the rest of the Argentina defence looked poor in the first few games as Sabella threw more men forward to support Messi. Garay and the rest of the defence were all over the place.

Sabella noticed that and put in a better defensive DM in Bigilia pulled Masch deeper to almost a third CB at times. Played a deeper line and reigned in the full backs.

The result was a much tighter defensive unit where Garay looked a star. However at the other end of the pitch Messi was left much more isolated and rarely got the ball any further forward than the half way line with one team mate anywhere near him.

Dont be fooled by thinking the best defenders are in the best defensive unit. In a lot of ways the best defenders are those that allow the team to play a high line and get men forward and can keep the ball well.

Home of Barca Fans