Mehdi Benatia

Trickykid

No im just going on the evidence of the past years of what happened when we didnt get a world class CB. When Tito said Thiago Silva or no one else. When Tata said Puyol will bail us out. Wont be surprised if Enrique says Mathieu is our saviour and our season ends up exactly like the past ones. Im just tired of this nonsense. What happened in the previous seasons will make even my grandmother realize we need a world class defence leader. Dont know its the coaches or the board. But if we dont get a world class CB i dont have much hopes of winning La Liga or CL.

I see. One could easily argue that we lost both La Liga and the ChL last year because of many other aspects that defense though - and that's with a weaker defense that what we have now.
Had we been able to actually carve out decent chances in the last round against Atletico, we would have won the league.

It's not like I would be opposed to signing a world class CB (I don't know if Benatia is the one, as I haven't seen enough of him, just like 90% of the people who claim he'd be the key to every title possible), far from it, but right now I still trust that Lucho knows what he's doing. And, frankly, with Piqué, Bartra, Mathieu and a 4th CB, I'd be pretty happy.

Anyhow, you'd better load up that doom'n'gloom gun of yours, because we're not getting any of the elusive, so called world class CB names that's being thrown around in here. Of that, I'm sure.

Last edited:
I

instinct

Lol sorry mate if i sound like him but i do feel we need another CB

We do but I don't think that our season will be as bad as the last one, if we don't sign a world-class CB. If we believe the rumours, Lucho will try to introduce a 3-5-2 system which means that we'd have 3 CB's (Mathieu, Pique, Bartra) and 2 defensive midfielders (Busi and Masche) + Rakitic who is able to defend. There would be MUCH more defensive stability (at least on paper) than in last season's line-up. I say that, even if we sign Agger or Vermalen we'll be able to win the treble, even without a world-class CB. It's not about names, it's about how you balance the team and how the players defend collectively.

L

linetty

Definatly. We need to strenghten our defence, alot.
You don't understand football do you? Names don't play. We've won Champions Leauge with Pique-Mascherano because we had a plan and Pep got tactics right.

With right tactics you can build a castle with players like Pique, Bartra and Mathieu. Just look at Simeones Atleti.

Cule4life

The Culest
You don't understand football do you? Names don't play. We've won Champions Leauge with Pique-Mascherano because we had a plan and Pep got tactics right.

With right tactics you can build a castle with players like Pique, Bartra and Mathieu. Just look at Simeones Atleti.

It's not as easy that. We had a prime midfield who shielded our defence. In Atletico every player works hard defensively. We have neither of those. With the way we play we have to play a high line. Changing tactics to focus on defence might cause our attack to weaken. So it's not as easy as you make it sound and I hope lucho knows what he's doing what with the rumors of Marquinhos and Cuadrado being the only ones being pursued.

L

linetty

It's not as easy that. We had a prime midfield who shielded our defence. In Atletico every player works hard defensively. We have neither of those. With the way we play we have to play a high line. Changing tactics to focus on defence might cause our attack to weaken. So it's not as easy as you make it sound and I hope lucho knows what he's doing what with the rumors of Marquinhos and Cuadrado being the only ones being pursued.
Rakitic works hard defensively and I'm sure Lucho will get it out of the other players too.

Truthist

So, I'm seriously wondering if all of you who are randomly throwing your little tantrums and hissy fits and constantly whining about Zubi not having signed Benatia (who's apparently the second coming of Christ and the solution to our every problem - retrospectively too, most likely), did you ever wonder if perhaps LE himself isn't that hot on him? Hence our interest being more or less none-existant. I mean, it's been mentioned more than a few times, that Lucho has more or less carte blanch on the market this summer, so surely, if he actually wanted Benatia at all, we'd be going for him.
Finally someone who understands. For all Zubi's incompetence every player we are pursuits or linked to is down to Lucho. That some of the choices seem bizarre show more about Lucho than anyone else. So, if people are whining they should direct it at Lucho and not Zubi who is simply following instructions.

Crixus

We won the CL With defense that had Pique, Maschi ,Abidal + Puyol and G.Milito on the bench and S.Keita also was able to play as defender too .
+ What will happen if one of those three (JM , Pique , Bartra ) got a long term injury like VV and we're facing 1 yr ban ? we're gonna count on Maschi to cover the Defense again !!

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Mathieu, Pique, Bartra and Marquinhos would be perfect for CB's..

1 old,1 27 years old and 2 for the feature

We're not getting Marquinhos.

We should think about now along with the future. Need to get as many trophies as possible with Iniesta and Messi's best years being now.

Agger is an interesting offer, but I think its a quite risky one considering his injury record although if its between him and Vermaelen then I'll take Agger in a heartbeat. :pep:

footyfan

Calma, calma
Finally someone who understands. For all Zubi's incompetence every player we are pursuits or linked to is down to Lucho. That some of the choices seem bizarre show more about Lucho than anyone else. So, if people are whining they should direct it at Lucho and not Zubi who is simply following instructions.

You don't know that for sure any more than the people complaining about Zubi. Almost all the CB targets that Barca are linked to right now have also been linked to Barca in previous seasons, which suggests that Lucho didn't have the input that you seem to infer.

Home of Barca Fans