Memphis Depay

i_bleed_blaugrana

Excellent debut. Lots of invention, daring and end product. That ball into Pique was magisterial.

On a side note, I missed Ray almost as much as Messi tonight.

xXKonan

United Depay and Lyon-Current Depay are two different players now but it's still funny seeing how salty some United fans get when it comes to Depay still.

I remember a United that I'm friends with being stoked buying Depay, and he was hoping he would end up being the new "CR7" for them but it never happened. Some bitched that he was too slow and top-heavy and he had trouble beating his full-back in the EPL and some thought he was some egotistical jackass who thought too highly of himself.

But he has shown with his move to Lyon that he worked his ass off to improve and show people that he deserves a second shot with a big club. Preseason and today's match has shown me a lot of encouraging stuff that he can help fill the giant hole that Messi left behind. A very tidy player with the ball who has plenty of flair as well.

Horatio

You're welcome
Man U move was also for a big part because of Louis van Gaal. Was completely enamored by Depay based on his WC performance and was set on bringing him alongside Blind to Man U.

HanDW

From the way Pique talked about him in the stream it seems like he connected well with the guys in the dressing room.

Laplacian

United Depay and Lyon-Current Depay are two different players now but it's still funny seeing how salty some United fans get when it comes to Depay still.

I remember a United that I'm friends with being stoked buying Depay, and he was hoping he would end up being the new "CR7" for them but it never happened. Some bitched that he was too slow and top-heavy and he had trouble beating his full-back in the EPL and some thought he was some egotistical jackass who thought too highly of himself.

But he has shown with his move to Lyon that he worked his ass off to improve and show people that he deserves a second shot with a big club. Preseason and today's match has shown me a lot of encouraging stuff that he can help fill the giant hole that Messi left behind. A very tidy player with the ball who has plenty of flair as well.

No one outside of Barcelona and Lyon cares about Depay, just look at the Redcafe forum lol. He's hardly if ever talked about at all.

On topic, fantastic performance from Depay. Looks like there was absolutely no reason to be cynical about him at all. He might actually be the first real attacker we've had since Coutinho's first few months at Barcelona. His quality is a far cry from the likes of Dembele/Griezmann.

behindbrowneyes

No one outside of Barcelona and Lyon cares about Depay, just look at the Redcafe forum lol. He's hardly if ever talked about at all.

This will change very quickly if he keeps playing like that. Some clubs will regret not signing him and fans will talk about how much of a bargain he was.

He is playing for a big club now, therefore he'll get much more spotlight and recognition.

Bobo32

On topic, fantastic performance from Depay. Looks like there was absolutely no reason to be cynical about him at all. He might actually be the first real attacker we've had since Coutinho's first few months at Barcelona. His quality is a far cry from the likes of Dembele/Griezmann.

It's Depay's first few months right now, though :)

I think Messis departure was gold for Depay (and for the team to make use of Depay)
He isn't playing better than what I had thought, but I hadn't thought Messi would leave. Since he did, I think Depay is pretty useful. That said, I don't think it will take more than one or two months before this thread will be a lot more negative towards him.

Laplacian

This will change very quickly if he keeps playing like that. Some clubs will regret not signing him and fans will talk about how much of a bargain he was.

He is playing for a big club now, therefore he'll get much more spotlight and recognition.

It's circumstantial really. If Manchester United and co lacked forwards and they saw Depay tearing it up in La Liga, they'd probably get jealous and start talking about him a bit more. Right now they're currently flooded with quality forwards, even if Depay does well I highly doubt they'd care with the squad they have.

JamDav1982

Think he will be at his best from CF with pace around him.

The Barca front line lacked pace and too often after first 20 mins were on the half way line as Sociedad realised no real threat in behind.

Allowed Sociedad to play high and pressure the midfield and defence into passing back to Neto for a 'long pass' up to front three which rarely came off.

Barca struggled to get ball up park from midfield after first 20 odd minutes when Sociedad changed it and pushed up. Busquets was so slow he couldnt often enough get into space to take ball from defence and on rare occasion got ball tight to play it through he shat the bed and tries to initiate contact slowing game down.

Depay CF, more pace to threaten teams away from such a high line and better passing through midfield or teams wont find it all that difficult to counter Barcas approach.

Home of Barca Fans