Mesut Ozil

xavisionary

May seem a tad harsh but I still see him as something of a weak link in the German set up. Would rather see Reus, Schurrle or Draxler alongside Kroos and Muller. Big question now is who plays in the #9 role.

L

linetty

Ozil has been great, he always finds a solution no other player can think of.

R

Ryu Hayabusa

May seem a tad harsh but I still see him as something of a weak link in the German set up. Would rather see Reus, Schurrle or Draxler alongside Kroos and Muller. Big question now is who plays in the #9 role.

Gomez once he's back to full fitness and health.
Müller and Götze are the one's if you want the false 9. For thinking outside the box one would go with Kruse or Volland.

DB10

Ozil has been good, he has more a 'soft' influence on games. He's never going to be that player that dribbles and smashes it in from 25 yards. His movement,passing and intelligence are what define him. One of those players you've got to see in the flesh to truly appreciate.

Gohan

Super Saiyan
Ozil has been good, he has more a 'soft' influence on games. He's never going to be that player that dribbles and smashes it in from 25 yards. His movement,passing and intelligence are what define him. One of those players you've got to see in the flesh to truly appreciate.

Couldn't said it better. People think his assists are what define him as a player. But it doesn't. He is essential in the German team and Löw knows this. Hence why he never passes Özil.

DrPepper

Couldn't said it better. People think his assists are what define him as a player. But it doesn't. He is essential in the German team and Löw knows this. Hence why he never passes Özil.

If it wasn't for Reus' injury I'm quite sure Özil wouldn't have played all matches.

If it wasn't for Reus' injury I'm quite sure Özil wouldn't have played all matches.
Ozil played this entire WC out of position (on the wings) to accomodate Kroos & still wasn't upstaged by him –certainly not during the final.

IMO, if Germany had Reus & an on form Gotze, Klose & Kroos would be the first to go.

BenRobbins

Ozil played this entire WC out of position (on the wings) to accomodate Kroos & still wasn't upstaged by him –certainly not during the final.

IMO, if Germany had Reus & an on form Gotze, Klose & Kroos would be the first to go.

Surely if ozil is better than kroos as 10 then he would of played there instead of him? I think the general consensus in germany was reus would of taken ozil's place on the flank and lots of people were calling for ozil to be dropped through out the world cup despite reus' emission. No slight on ozil though as he is a great player just reus is one of the best in the world and kroos is extremely effective as a 10.

Surely if ozil is better than kroos as 10 then he would of played there instead of him? I think the general consensus in germany was reus would of taken ozil's place on the flank and lots of people were calling for ozil to be dropped through out the world cup despite reus' emission. No slight on ozil though as he is a great player just reus is one of the best in the world and kroos is extremely effective as a 10.
Maybe so, but that's because Ozil had a forgettable season with Arsenal. Quality wise, Ozil is the better player& we saw this at the WC: an in form Kroos playing in his natural position didn't have a better WC than an out of form Ozil playing out of position.

As to why Ozil was playing there in the first place, instead of Kroos: for the simple reason that Kroos would've been ineffectual if played out of position whereas an out of position Ozil is marginally less effective than as a pure 10, but can still be effective (relative to Kroos) outside of his natural position. That's actually a testament to Ozil's quality rather than a slight against him.

Kroos had a way better WC than Özil. Özil was good in the final but that was his only good match though.
That's to be expected, regardless of whether it's true or not. Kroos was playing in his natural position, Ozil wasn't; but that's because one player can while the other can't. Kroos had a better WC than Ozil up until the final; but overall he wasn't that much better. Besides, we wouldn't be even comparing the two if Kroos was on the Wing & Mesut in the center.

DrPepper

That's to be expected, regardless of whether it's true or not. Kroos was playing in his natural position, Ozil wasn't; but that's because one player can while the other can't. Kroos had a better WC than Ozil up until the final; but overall he wasn't that much better. Besides, we wouldn't be even comparing the two if Kroos was on the Wing & Mesut in the center.

Would Löw still have played 4-3-3 if Reus was fit? Because then Özil surely would've been dropped. With a 4-2-3-1 not so sure. So it's all speculation now. I thought Löw just had no alternative. Schürrle is too good as impact sub. And of course you could say that Höwedes as left back offered very little support offensively.

Kroos never plays on the wing because he is a purely central player while Özil has already done it often enough. Saying Özil is better because he is more versatile is strange imo. It's like saying Cazorla is a better player than Xavi because the latter can only play in the center. But could Özil play as an 8 in a 4-3-3? I don't know because he'd have to do defensive work which he doesn't like, while Kroos is perfectly comfortable as the number 10 and 8.

Home of Barca Fans