Neymar - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ursegor

World Champion
Who cares about his marketability? The money he generates lands in his own and his sponsors pockets. The "making up for the transfer fee by selling jerseys" myth. lulz

M

mitkoa7x

Who cares about his marketability? The money he generates lands in his own and his sponsors pockets. The "making up for the transfer fee by selling jerseys" myth. lulz

Selling 2 million jerseys (80 euro each) would generate 160 mil, a big % of that goes to Barca who's colors and crest are on that shirt. Lets say Barca gets 50% and both Nike and Neymar get 25% each. Thats winning right there.

Hatem Ben Arfa

a myth?

Brasil has a huge football crazy populous. If he came here I'm sure Neymar shirts would sell in their millions in Brazil alone.

Ursegor

World Champion
Selling 2 million jerseys (80 euro each) would generate 160 mil, a big % of that goes to Barca who's colors and crest are on that shirt. Lets say Barca gets 50% and both Nike and Neymar get 25% each. Thats winning right there.

Barcelona don't get anywhere near 50 % of shirt sale revenues.

Androutsos

Do you guys think that Santos would agree to a performance based deal? For example if he makes so much appearances or wins so much titles...

Ursegor

World Champion
Do you have some official numbers?

I don't think there are "official" numbers since "jersey sales" isn't particularly highlighted in the balance sheets. But common sense alone should suggest that Neymar won't create anywhere near a profit of € 80 * 2 million / 2 = € 80 million. That would be 1/6 of the current total revenue of the whole club (including the Basketball, Handball and Futsal sections etc.). :lol: After Nike, the player himself, the distributor and taxes, a profit of € 5 for a single jersey is closer to the truth.

Isaac_Cuenca23

I believe how shirt deals for football clubs work is that Nike pay Barcelona whatever the shirt sponsorship deal with them is (I don't know what that is but lets say it's £100m for a ten year contract). Barcelona get that 100m that is written in the contract with Nike and 100% of the money from shirt sales goes to Nike, i.e. Barca gets nothing.

The only way signing a player (Neymar in this instance, Beckham to RM for example) will boost the amount of money a club receives from shirt sales is that the club can negotiate for more money for their next contract with the shirt supplier when the current one runs out.

Ursegor

World Champion
This should also give a bit of clue:

18+Atletico+Money+League+Europe.jpg

Barcelona's revenues from "commercial" = ~ € 150 million (and that's the revenue, NOT the profit). Despite having Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Villa, Pique etc. in the team who are enormously marketable. Also "commercial" includes more than just "shirt sales" as well. Like advertising etc. Suggesting that Neymar alone would increase that number by more than 50 % is obviously totally unrealistic, nevermind that he would create a net profit of € 80 million. The whole team doesn't create anywhear that number by shirt sales alone.

Last edited:

Ursegor

World Champion
Oh, and something else.

If 45 year old fat Ronaldinho who doesn't give a fuck anymore dribbles past entire defenses like this in Brazil, then it really puts Neymar's flashy flicks and tricks into perspective.

Theconomist

Oh, and something else.

If 45 year old fat Ronaldinho who doesn't give a fuck anymore dribbles past entire defenses like this in Brazil, then it really puts Neymar's flashy flicks and tricks into perspective.

Ronaldinho is 32 and he eould start for most clubs in europe. The reason europe gave up on dinho is his attitude.

Perspective my friend. Neymar is the hottest prospect in football. That's not up for debate, what's up for debate is his price tag.

F

Flavia

a myth?

Brasil has a huge football crazy populous. If he came here I'm sure Neymar shirts would sell in their millions in Brazil alone.
Huge exaggeration. Here the football fans are either very attached to their own clubs, or to the nt. No player going to Barça, or any other european team, would sell million shirts here.

Ursegor

World Champion
Huge exaggeration. Here the football fans are either very attached to their own clubs, or to the nt. No player going to Barça, or any other european team, would sell million shirts here.

Ridiculous, isn't it? I mean we were financially screwed when Ronaldinho was a Ballon d'Or winner, in his prime and the most marketable player ever. Where were those ridiculous jersey sale profits when we needed them so badly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans