Neymar - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jadentheman

I expect Neymar to dominate the weaker teams during the group stages of the World Cup. That'll bring some major support for him for the time being. But if/when Brazil come crashing out against a team with a solid defense all eyes will look at Neymar who will lose quite a bit of his reputation.

In my opinion, he is a minnow-slayer and that's where a huge deal of his hype comes from.

I understand that. Ronaldinho was also a minnow slayer as that's where most of his outlandish tricks came from. However we all knew he'd always show up in matches that really mattered. (When he was in his prime of course) except Champions League final where he wasn't as good as he should have been. Also the 2006 World Cup under less than ideal conditions.

Kerrybai

I expect Neymar to dominate the weaker teams during the group stages of the World Cup. That'll bring some major support for him for the time being. But if/when Brazil come crashing out against a team with a solid defense all eyes will look at Neymar who will lose quite a bit of his reputation.

In my opinion, he is a minnow-slayer and that's where a huge deal of his hype comes from.

Look at what happened to Messi and Argentina in 2010. Granted Messi had already proven himself at the highest level of club football. One day Neymar will play for a dominant European club, possibly us, and then we will be able to judge him.

Kerrybai

He should've moved to a random European club a long time ago. Even if Brazil are planning to do great in the WC, which I assume they want, I don't see Neymar being the superstar.

Considering that a European side has never won a world cup on South American soil then Brazil could come good, especially in front of their home crowd.

Robbie

The last world cup on South American soil was in 1978. Since then, youth coaching has changed drastically in Europe. Cruyff didn't revamp La Masia until a year after that, and Clairfontaine didn't even exist until 1988. Hell, Spain went from perennial choke artists to all-conquering world champions as far as 5 years ago.

I don't know... maybe Brazilian soil will magically give Neymar the powers to unlock European defences, even though he couldn't do it in friendlies. Facing the likes of Spain, Germany, Italy, etc when they are actually serious? It might get embarrassing.

Kerrybai

The last world cup on South American soil was in 1978. Since then, youth coaching has changed drastically in Europe. Cruyff didn't revamp La Masia until a year after that, and Clairfontaine didn't even exist until 1988. Hell, Spain went from perennial choke artists to all-conquering world champions as far as 5 years ago.

I don't know... maybe Brazilian soil will magically give Neymar the powers to unlock European defences, even though he couldn't do it in friendlies. Facing the likes of Spain, Germany, Italy, etc when they are actually serious? It might get embarrassing.

I actually meant to say the America's which would include the more recent world cup's in Mexico and the USA.

But you are right, football is much different now and I don't think the 'continental advantage' is anywhere near what it used to be, but at the same time Brazil are playing at home. We saw what that did for France as recently as 1998. On the other side of that coin the home pressure could be too much, and let's face it Brazil won't win anything until someone takes control in midfield.

Robbie

Their defence isn't anywhere near world-cup winning quality either. Good players, but do they play as a unit? And their depth is laughable. I mean -- they called up Andre Santos for the Bolivia game. They are actually considering bringing him to WC2014...

Look at the squads that have won the competition in recent years, and you'll see teams full of world class players in their prime. France had home field advantage in 1998, but they also had Zinedine Zidane, Patrick Vieira, Emmanuel Petit, Bixente Lizarazu, Deschamps, Trezeguet, Pires, Desailly, etc.

Look at who Brazil had in 94, 98, 2002, and 2006. Who do they have now?

Last edited:

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
Well, Brazil do have quite a bit of depth in defense, they just don't call up the right players imo. Thiago Silva (#1 center back in the world :worthy:), Dante, Dede, Marcelo, Adriano, Alves, Rafael... Pretty good back line there. Their midfield is good as well, in addition to the old guys Ronaldinho and Kaka, they have Oscar, Leiva, Fernadinho, Ramires, Paulinho, Hernanes, Moura, Bernard, and probably more I don't remember. Oh, and they called up Santos because the Bolivia game couldn't have any European players, so there isn't that many good players in the Brazilian league.

Armando929

Because its Brazil and they're hosting, the media will make them favorites and the country will DEMAND a trophy. For a young squad that doesn't really have too much experience playing together against top quality opposition, I would say that is a lot of pressure. And on top of that they're pinning their hopes on Neymar to almost single handedly carry them to glory.

They have a lot of good young talent on that team but their squad is nowhere near the flare and talent of the 94,98, and 2002 squads. I can see them doing well against the lower level sides but I think any of the European powerhouses would potentially embarrass them.

SoMa

If Moura is any indication of Neymar in an European setting, we are taking to long to seal the deal.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
If Moura is any indication of Neymar in an European setting, we are taking to long to seal the deal.

There's much less BS in Moura's style of play than Neymar's. Plus Moura has decent strength and a low center of gravity and his style is suited by playing mostly in counter-attacking situations. Neymar however has little balance or center of gravity, absolutely no strength, relies on useless skills that work only against bad defenders, and will be playing against parked buses and will have little space.

Superfly

Banned
There's much less BS in Moura's style of play than Neymar's. Plus Moura has decent strength and a low center of gravity and his style is suited by playing mostly in counter-attacking situations. Neymar however has little balance or center of gravity, absolutely no strength, relies on useless skills that work only against bad defenders, and will be playing against parked buses and will have little space.

This.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife

Both have speed but strength is an important attribute to possess on this level, in Europe...There's no question Neymar doesn't have enough of it now and will need it to succeed over here

I hadn't seen enough of Moura to know what else he could do but there's a lot to like to his game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans