Neymar - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke

Why does everyone think Neymar is suddenly going to make Barcelona an insane amount of money? You guys do realize that we have Lionel Messi, the greatest player ever, half of the Euro, World Cup, and Euro champion Spain team, AND have won 2 Champions Leagues in the past 5 years as well as making 3 other finals...right?

Neymar is just a Rosell obsession. Please read this.

http://www.weaintgotnohistory.com/2012/7/30/3201349/how-much-are-shirt-sales-really-worth

lol if you even think Barcelona only selling 1 million shirts worldwide every season. Just apply basic logic before you jump on this article and blindly copy pasta it. The population of Catalonia alone close to 8 million, if only 10 % of Catalonians buy Barcelona shirts, that's 800k!

JamDav1982

I don't need to go more into telling you that Neymar's marketability would do very little for the team, just read the article Paganinisrevenge posted, facts are there too.

If you don't follow our youth progress then allow me to tell you that there are plenty of young players who have the ability to turn world class. Players like Thiago, Deulofeu, Montoya, Rafinha, Samper, Sandro, Dongou, etc. are all amazing, but wasting time focusing on outside players like Neymar will stunt their development. Hell I'd say Deulofeu will be more marketable than Neymar in the future, only difference is that Neymar would cost us a massive amount of money and could very well end up being a burden. We'd be producing a lot more world class youth players if Rosell and co. focused on developing that area of the club instead of buying a high profile media icon.

Barcelona will always be a mix of youth players and the top players from around the world.

Your logic would stop the likes of Villa, Alves, Ronaldinho etc being signed.

This season has proved that relying on the homegrown players is not enough.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Very flawed logic. Not every man, woman, and child in Catalunya will buy a Barca shirt. Even 10% is not close to a reliable number when you factor in peoples age, financial status, or if they're even Barca fans. Also, a huge deal of shirt sales are blank/customized as stated in the article.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Barcelona will always be a mix of youth players and the top players from around the world.

Your logic would stop the likes of Villa, Alves, Ronaldinho etc being signed.
http://www.barcaforum.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1017623
This season has proved that relying on the homegrown players is not enough.

The point of transfers is to buy players who are NECESSARY. Our defense is extremely weak and since the club refuse to give Montoya/Bartra an extended chance, bringing in a couple of defenders is necessary. Our wingers might not be the strongest right now but all things should be considered before going out to spend 60 million on an unproven player. We still have Tello, Deulofeu, Cuenca, and many more Masia wingers who have amazing potential. And if they were given a chance, I'm very confident they will perform and greatly improve our problems in attack.

Plus the thing with Neymar is that he's no longer just a transfer in, he's become an obsession of the board. They'd go to almost any length and take out any player to make room for Neymar. Their obsession with him has pretty much stopped them from observing the internal situation and improving the players that are already here.

JamDav1982

The point of transfers is to buy players who are NECESSARY. Our defense is extremely weak and since the club refuse to give Montoya/Bartra an extended chance, bringing in a couple of defenders is necessary. Our wingers might not be the strongest right now but all things should be considered before going out to spend 60 million on an unproven player. We still have Tello, Deulofeu, Cuenca, and many more Masia wingers who have amazing potential. And if they were given a chance, I'm very confident they will perform and greatly improve our problems in attack.

Plus the thing with Neymar is that he's no longer just a transfer in, he's become an obsession of the board. They'd go to almost any length and take out any player to make room for Neymar. Their obsession with him has pretty much stopped them from observing the internal situation and improving the players that are already here.

The signing of attacking players is just as much needed as central defenders.

In virtually all the big games this season Messi was the only threat, the wide players at Barcelona are well below what the other top teams have.

In what way is Neymar unproven? He has proven everything he possibly can in South America and has a good level at international level.

He is needed by the team hugely.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
The signing of attacking players is just as much needed as central defenders.

In virtually all the big games this season Messi was the only threat, the wide players at Barcelona are well below what the other top teams have.

In what way is Neymar unproven? He has proven everything he possibly can in South America and has a good level at international level.

He is needed by the team hugely.

Needed and wanted are two very different things.

If youngsters were given more chances and were more developed by now, we'd have less attack problems and much better rotation.

In defense however, we'd STILL need to bring in a player or two even if Bartra and Montoya were given regular playing time and trust. That's how bad the injury/form crisis is in that area.

JamDav1982

If youngsters were given more chances and were more developed by now, we'd have less attack problems and much better rotation.

In defense however, we'd STILL need to bring in a player or two even if Bartra and Montoya were given regular playing time and trust. That's how bad the injury/form crisis is in that area.

Yes needed is more important than wanted and new attacking players are needed.

The young players will be given time to develop but not one of them are good enough to be in the starting eleven for Barcelona. Neymar will be a huge step up in that are of the team next season if he comes.

A center back will be signed, two are not needed unless they are going to get rid of Puyol or Mascherano.

What would it take for you to consider Neymar a success?

Duke

Very flawed logic. Not every man, woman, and child in Catalunya will buy a Barca shirt. Even 10% is not close to a reliable number when you factor in peoples age, financial status, or if they're even Barca fans. Also, a huge deal of shirt sales are blank/customized as stated in the article.

lol at flawed logic! ok how about 1% of each country in just Europe continent? Still will sell more than a million. The article is talking about global sale which make absolutely no sense!

I have doubts about Neymar myself, but we will need a new forward next season if Villa leaves, since we need a scoring threat besides Messi. I don't think the youngsters will be enough for next season (maybe the following season).

Like I said though, I have my doubts about Neymar. IMO, we should go for a striker who can play on the wing. Someone like Suarez or Aguero (extremely unlikely we'll get him though). That way, we get someone who can score from out wide and play the role Villa did against Milan if/when needed. Both of which we'll need if Villa leaves.

JamDav1982

I have doubts about Neymar myself, but we will need a new forward next season if Villa leaves, since we need a scoring threat besides Messi. I don't think the youngsters will be enough for next season (maybe the following season).

Like I said though, I have my doubts about Neymar. IMO, we should go for a striker who can play on the wing. Someone like Suarez or Aguero (extremely unlikely we'll get him though). That way, we get someone who can score from out wide and play the role Villa did against Milan if/when needed. Both of which we'll need if Villa leaves.

Neymar is much better out wide than Aguero and Suarez has all the ability but is a complete liability.

Stric

1% of each European country to buy a Barca shirt? Or better yet, a Neymar shirt? :lol: :lol: Can I have some of what you are smoking? :lol:

0n0mat0p0eia

Can someone tell me why 'who can play on the wing' is nearly always attached to 'we need a striker'?

WTF is this obsession for strikers who can play on the wing? A striker is a fuggn striker!

Let's get a CB who can also play in goal, or what about a Left back who is also a physiotherapist, or a right back who also is a great kit man!!

Let's get a bloody striker who can take the heat of Messi; who can score with headers from crosses and corners; who can help defend corners and free kicks; who can pull away CBs to make space for Messi playing just behind; who can hold the ball up and be an 'out' ball; who can flick on headers for players running beyond him...

Just an honest to goodness out-and-out striker. Is it too much to ask for?

...and breathe. Rant over.

JamDav1982

The commercial worth of Neymar is not just his ability to sell shirts.

Go and read up on why the experts on such things have decided he is going to be the most marketable player in the world over the next few years.

I dont think they even mention shirt sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans