Nico Williams

Masetro10

If we sign him then the Olmo signing is even dumber. Imagine signing only Nico and spending 60m on Zubimendi or some other defensive player instead of trying to replicate Spain's attacking formation.
Zubimendi isn't God tier player. He is ok but guess what he also very obviously didn't want to come here or he would have. It's his choice.

Olmo/Nico/Yamal line won the Euros so it would definitely cook here.

Loki

“There’ve been some contacts with Nico Williams’ camp yesterday. I’d rather not give more details, so things don’t get screwed up"

---

Ojo thinks he is involved in the transfer negotiations. Utter butt-tit
He needs his twitch subs and for this, he needs to create hype even if fake.

Andresito

Staff member
Zubimendi isn't God tier player. He is ok but guess what he also very obviously didn't want to come here or he would have. It's his choice.

International football doesn't equal club football. It's such a simple mistake to make.

malvolio

None of those you pointed out are God tier or even world class. Some could become though.

But Zubimendi at DM is a far better option to have than buying Olmo.

companyofcules

So I get their plan, they use the libero money to plug the gap in losses (I don't know if is enough our fan base thinks we run at a profit lol) and the Nike money to buy this guy. Then again the leftover of libero money to plug the next gap.

So considering we will not get other leavers the board somehow thinks Nico is our main player for possibly a decade.
Imagine if he is exposed and Lamine is not at least Ronaldinho level, a decade of mediocre Barcelona.

Last edited:

draconifire

NTC with a Positive attitude
I don't know what the sentiment around Bilbao fans is. As much as I have seen, the guy has been very respectful and stayed out of this whole saga. It's only the usual journalist churning out news on his transfer because they need to make money.
If it's any diff and the Bilbao fans and the club are a bit annoyed I can imagine him being a bit averse to going through this transfer at least this window.
His family lives there, and his brother is a legend and a starter for them. He wouldn't want any bad blood towards them.

Porque

None of those you pointed out are God tier or even world class. Some could become though.

But Zubimendi at DM is a far better option to have than buying Olmo.

We have better options than Zubimendi for double pivot though. When we wanted a DMC, different story.

Offensively we are light. Ignoring the money, Olmo and Nico are more important, though you could make an argument of Olmo/Nico + Zubi/pivot

draconifire

NTC with a Positive attitude
We have better options than Zubimendi for double pivot though. When we wanted a DMC, different story.

Offensively we are light. Ignoring the money, Olmo and Nico are more important, though you could make an argument of Olmo/Nico + Zubi/pivot
Who is the better option?
Are you talking about Bernal/Casado?

malvolio

What are talking about? A guy who is good at playing lone DM can't play double pivot?

Porque

What are talking about? A guy who is good at playing lone DM can't play double pivot?

No but the requirements are different. We have been looking so long for a lone dmc to balance the midfield trio.

Now with a double pivot profiles like Pedri and Gavi will work better in the double pivot than at DMC.

Zubi played double pivot alot in Sociedad so there is no doubt he can play the role. But the urgency to have a midfielder for double pivot is different to that of a DMC in a midfield.

Now if/when Flick goes and we revert back to a 433. Then that is another question.

Personally I have no qualms about the Olmo and Nico deals together as the problem with the squad IS offensive quality. It's overly reliant on a 16 year old. Olmo and Nico take that pressure off Lamine (and Raphi).

My bigger issue is that we could have gone for a ton of midfield options cheaper than Zubi that would benefit the squad. Thuram went for 20m, the lad that name escapes me who went to Porto for 8m, etc.

But saying that, I have high expectations in Bernal. And in his paritcular example, his profile is way more suited to a double pivot than either the DMC in a midfield trio, or one of the central midfielders in a trio.

JamDav1982

Barca do not have an AM that can score, drive with ball and create.

Olmo... fitness permitting is the best AM/10 Barca will have if the aim in that role is a player to get in and around box to support the CF.

Olmo and Nico would improve Barcelona massively in final third and that threat in final third forces teams to think twice about how to set up v Barca.

Fed up watching Real/PSG having no real worries in pressing Barca high when have not enough threat on break the other way.

Zubimendi is good but not sure he is quite the midfield defensive titan some think either.

Home of Barca Fans