Oriol Romeu (loaned to Girona)

zanela

For a moment, I though his thread was in the La Masia section. :(

Latest on him..

He got his first start for Chelsea(vs Fulham) in the League Cup tonight. I missed the sec half cause of Barca. Nothing spectacular in the first half, but after Alex's dismissal at the end of first half, our boy apparently turned in to a beast-mode, doing all thats required of him and more. He was unanimously voted as MOTM by the Chelsea fans.

They all seem quite impressed by him.

I felt Romeu just looked at home from the first minute and for a 19 year old making their full debut to have just one or two dips in concentration over 120 mins was amazing. Seldom have I been quite so confident after seeing so little from someone in a Chelsea shirt but the boy just oozes class and has quick thoughts and a good range of passing and seems pretty unflappable into the bargain. MOTM for nearly everyone-and rightly so

MOTM for me was Romeu by a country mile. He makes space and time for himself and picks a great pass almost all the time. Very excited about him.

My MOTM was Romeu. seemed to be very fit seeing as he hasn't played in a while. Very strong in the tackle, showed balls and seems to have personality. Also technically good for someone in his position. Much more mobile and pacey than Mikel. He's a possibility to break into the first team.

and whole lots more..

:D

Look forward to seeing him more in action. :)

bombayblue™

Fourteen and Hutch..
By AVB

"His ability to receive the ball is something out of this world, its extraordinary his comfort with the ball, receiving it straight from the goalkeeper under pressure. You saw that led eventually to a ball loss but that is the risk you take when you build from the back.

It shows that the school where he is from is fantastic and shows that he can play in the Premier League."

He had a fine performance but was voted for MOTM by most because Josh was substituted due to us being down to 10 men, who was the better performer when they both were on the pitch. My MOTM was Ryan Bertrand. Romeu was instrumental in keeping the clean sheet after playing 120 minutes and being down to 10 men for almost 75 minutes and that got him a lot of votes. He is over enthusiastic in his pressing and got rounded off one time too many by a simple side step and almost gave a goal away with a careless backpass but to his credit he ran back and won the ball himself.

Keeping in mind the 3 year age difference with Sergio, he is nowhere near the quality of Sergio 3 years back. But there is huge potential which is quite easily evident and he knows to stay on his feet unlike Mr. Busquets something highly appreciated in the Premier League.

Last edited:

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Good going my lad... I was really pissed when he was sold. But if he realises his potential we at least have a buy back option :)

Plip

Cardenal de Catalunya
Definitely makes sense.

This makes sense in case he could play a box-to-box role in addition to his DM role.

Good to see the kid doing good. I've always liked Romeu ever since his Cadete A years.

And what comes to certain Malian, he has been used in an absolutely atrocious manner by Pep this season.

dalitis8

Banned
That certain Malian, should be used for dead rubbers and against the most feeble of opposition. Let's get serious.

Plip

Cardenal de Catalunya
That certain Malian, should be used for dead rubbers and against the most feeble of opposition. Let's get serious.

That Malian should actually be used in a more balanced formation to provide grit and box-to-box runs against more physical opponents. He is also quite effective a sub.

Pep has been using him in every other situation but the aforementioned. No wonder he has been looking out of place.

Yugi

good to see him doing good
looking forward to see 2 world class DMs in Romeu and Sergio covering the place for next decade

dalitis8

Banned
That Malian should actually be used in a more balanced formation to provide grit and box-to-box runs against more physical opponents. He is also quite effective a sub.

Pep has been using him in every other situation but the aforementioned. No wonder he has been looking out of place.

Keita no longer has the legs for that box-to-box role. Otherwise I would have been all for him. Our formation by the way, does injustice to the entire squad, including Keita if we are being fair. But my point is that he can no longer be of any use in tough games. He is past it, it's the circle of life if you will.

I agree with StokeBarca here, he should be restricted to CDR fixtures. If many in here were rating Thiago above Cesc, then who wouldn't rate Thiago over Keita?

bombayblue™

Fourteen and Hutch..
This makes sense in case he could play a box-to-box role in addition to his DM role.

Good to see the kid doing good. I've always liked Romeu ever since his Cadete A years.

And what comes to certain Malian, he has been used in an absolutely atrocious manner by Pep this season.
He plays as CB and really well at that too. You could do with a half decent back up. I hope we use him sparingly for the next two seasons :p

Barcafan 2304

Great to see him excel here. Barca have done the right thing, his stint at Chelsea in a very competitive and good league will bring him on leaps and bounds

Home of Barca Fans