Ousmane Dembélé

Status
Not open for further replies.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
I don't know, he was surely trying but was dribbling straight into defenders and botching passes left and right... At least his attitude was different and was trying to make things happen, a shame his body is faster than his brain...

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
I liked his directness & aggression in the first 5-8 minutes he was on but once he missed a couple of shots on goal he looked to visibly drop in confidence

I'd like it if the medical staff & trainers evaluate him extensively everyday, especially just after matches

kattanib

Not at all I was impressed. The main part of my comment was saying he had a decent game. I was just adding that last bit coz its something strange I see him doing in games

You do not need to justify yourself to them. It’s their problem if not everyone is jumping on their bandwagon

Lapi

Poor decision making again but we need his speed.
Luis, Messi and Antoine will not work. We need Dembele on the pitch.

Dembele was not really tracking back to defend during his 1st year. Then EV "thaught" him to always go back (in which he is quite weak) and try to defend.
That's fine.

Now (after his most recent injury) he comes on for a short time to replace Griezmann (who will be a flop on LW, because he is slow and can't dribble) and he immediately becomes a threat, even if feckes up two far shots. But there are always 3 Inter defenders trying to stop him, he makes space for the others. Fine, he made some bad passes, but all Barca players do.

Here comes the greatness of Valverde's tactical vision:
If you have 3 attackers, one is medium-slow, the other is snail-slow in every possible situation, the third is extremely fast, then which is the one you ask to go back to defend?
Obviously the fastest (Dembele) is the one who should NOT go backwards, he should be in line with the last defender, so in case the team wins a ball back early, he can run, even the goalkeeper could kick a long ball forward, instead of giving it to the defenders and then the team comes up to the box with 56 touches.

The very same scenario worked perfect in Neymar's time, and Barca scored a lot of goals at quick counters.
So whenever Dembele plays, he deserves a very different tactical handling, to utilize his pace, as EV's never working "safety net" would hardly work with him, as the coach wants.

EV did two changes, and this time both were good and progressive, but the fact remains that the max EV is capable of doing is to send players in, but the TACTICAL scenario remains the same.

Messi983

Dembele was not really tracking back to defend during his 1st year. Then EV "thaught" him to always go back (in which he is quite weak) and try to defend.
That's fine.

Now (after his most recent injury) he comes on for a short time to replace Griezmann (who will be a flop on LW, because he is slow and can't dribble) and he immediately becomes a threat, even if feckes up two far shots. But there are always 3 Inter defenders trying to stop him, he makes space for the others. Fine, he made some bad passes, but all Barca players do.

Here comes the greatness of Valverde's tactical vision:
If you have 3 attackers, one is medium-slow, the other is snail-slow in every possible situation, the third is extremely fast, then which is the one you ask to go back to defend?
Obviously the fastest (Dembele) is the one who should NOT go backwards, he should be in line with the last defender, so in case the team wins a ball back early, he can run, even the goalkeeper could kick a long ball forward, instead of giving it to the defenders and then the team comes up to the box with 56 touches.

The very same scenario worked perfect in Neymar's time, and Barca scored a lot of goals at quick counters.
So whenever Dembele plays, he deserves a very different tactical handling, to utilize his pace, as EV's never working "safety net" would hardly work with him, as the coach wants.

EV did two changes, and this time both were good and progressive, but the fact remains that the max EV is capable of doing is to send players in, but the TACTICAL scenario remains the same.

In theory this is all well but in real world would you rather send an injured Messi (he doesn't defend even when he's fit) or a slow Suarez to track back? If/When we'll play with Messi/Suarez-Griezmann-Dembele front 3 I'm sure Griezmann would be the one tracking back the most (he has the best work ethic and is used to this) and try to play a through ball to Dembele to use his speed if we'll play against an opponent who would play with a higher line and not sit back like Inter did for most of the game.

Devils

EF58yIaXUAAqxap

Lapi

In theory this is all well but in real world would you rather send an injured Messi (he doesn't defend even when he's fit) or a slow Suarez to track back?

Tactically there are/were many options.

1. It is Suarez who tracks back in these situations, his lack of speed is less important than his presence. He is slow but strong, so his midfield presence would be more beneficial than Dembele's.
2. None of the 3 track back, which would be hazardous but at least two defenders would also stay with them.
3. In these situations Suarez would go to the left, and Dembele to the middle (to give the most chances for his speed).
4. Messi would go slightly backwards (he is surely sort of man-marked so even more space frees up forward).
5. Playing 4-3-2-1 or even playing 3-4-2-1

I can go on, but the essence remains the same: how to utilize the speed of a speedy guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans