Paul Pogba

Alarcón

Excellent logic and example. PSG is an oil club. Money does not matter for them. Neither for the likes of Man City. That's why you see them paying insane amounts for player such as Mangala as well who they bought for almost 45 million euros. Mangala of all players!

That's why FFP is highly needed and has been created. Exactly to stop such madness from occurring far too often. If it did not exist you would see such oil clubs pay insane amounts for players that are not worth it and create inflation on the transfer market. Something that is already a problem.

No, he is easily worth 150 million euros in fact. I suggest that we sell Camp Nou and spend all the money on him.

PSG and City aren't the only ones throwing money around. Football has become increasingly marketable in the last years, especially in the last 10 years, the development has been ridiculous . That yields much more money for clubs and no, not only oil clubs. United signed a massive deal with Adidas, and Chevy before that. Bayern signed a new Adidas deal recently that quadruples the money they get from their existing contract. The new La Liga TV deal will double the amount that clubs get, even the top clubs will see their TV money increase by millions. The sponsor we get after Qatar will pay a lot more, and the next time we negotiate with Nike, we'll ask for at least twice as much as we're getting now.

Oil clubs have somewhat sped up the development of increasing market values but they didn't cause it at all. Clubs have more money to spend now, so they spend it. 90m today is not a lot. What else would we do with the money? Donate it? Pogba is not only a great player but he will also strengthen our position in sponsorship talks. He's 21 & maybe the best player at a soon-to-be CL finalist, as well as probably the best midfielder we could realistically get, and we need a midfielder. It's not a high risk transfer at all.

Last edited:

Leo_Messi

Oliver Torres can't even get into Atleticos starting lineup lol and Gundogan is made of glass

:facepalm:

Óliver Torres is 20 years old. Did it ever cross your mind that Óliver Torres would be a long-term investment and that he would not arrive on his own?

He was loaned out to Porto (hardly a weak club) the past summer not because he is not talented but because Cholo currently prefers other types of midfielders who are more experienced, physically stronger and who fit his current system better. The same Torres has impressed hugely for Porto. Ask any Porto fan.

Óliver Torres would fit our club and playing style like a glove and I can't think of a single young and promising midfielder who would be a better fit for us. Him being a Spaniard and familiar with our playing style (youth teams of Spain) is an advantage too.

Anyway you deliberately "missed" the fact that I wrote Koke (or a player of a similar stature to him) and Gündogan or a player like Óliver Torres. I consider such an option better than spending all the money on Pogba.

Give me 1 reason why we should spend 100 million euros on Pogba of all players and give him an insane salary when we could buy the likes of Koke and Gündogan for the same amount of money?

T

Thanos

Because he's easily better than both Koke and Gundogan not to mention the latter is injury prone.

F

forcabarca

Tuttosport reporting Juve rejected our 80m bid. Expecting 100m for Pogba :O

Leo_Messi

PSG and City aren't the only ones throwing money around. Football has become increasingly marketable in the last years, especially in the last 10 years, the development has been ridiculous . That yields much more money for clubs and no, not only oil clubs. United signed a massive deal with Adidas, and Chevy before that. Bayern signed a new Adidas deal recently that quadruples the money they get from their existing contract. The new La Liga TV deal will double the amount that clubs get, even the top clubs will see their TV money increase by millions. The sponsor we get after Qatar will pay a lot more, and the next time we negotiate with Nike, we'll ask for at least twice as much as we're getting now.

Oil clubs have somewhat sped up the development of increasing market values but they didn't cause it at all. Clubs have more money to spend now, so they spend it. 90m today is not a lot. What else would we do with the money? Donate it? Pogba is not only a great player but he will also strengthen our position in sponsorship talks. He's 21 & maybe the best player at a soon-to-be CL finalist, as well as probably the best midfielder we could realistically get, and we need a midfielder. It's not a high risk transfer at all.

I did not write that. What I wrote is that they have contributed to the inflation on the transfer market, that their transfers have often been ridiculously overpaid and that they should not be taken as a measuring stick for other clubs in this regard.

This is why inventions such as the FFP have been created and been deemed necessary. I fully support the FFP personally and consider it as a healthy step in the right direction.

I know that football is constantly changing and that the financial strength of all clubs is increasing, especially the top clubs.

That does not mean that we should overpay for the sake of it or just because we can.

As I said can anyone mention a single midfielder at the age of 22 with the track record of Pogba who was sold for 100 million euros (!) in recent memory? The answer is that nobody is able to do that because this is yet to happen.

Lastly as I wrote before, I don't consider this to be solely a question of money but rather a question of sporting necessity combined with finances. Or just a question of whether his transfer fee will be justified.

Anyway, not to disappoint the guys here who want the club to buy him, but I highly doubt that we will buy him considering our transfer ban and the fact that the likes of Man City and PSG are likely willing to offer Juventus silly money and an insane salary.

Anyway why are people here not talking about the rumors about his insane wage demands and how that could disrupt the squad harmony? Or that we need to strengthen other positions in the near future other than just the midfield? That our wage bill is the highest or one of the highest of any sports team in the world already and that we have not unlimited funds?

Those are all questions (others as well) that seem to be brushed aside because people want us to buy Pogba this much.

Because he's easily better than both Koke and Gundogan not to mention the latter is injury prone.

Your one-liners and arguments in this debate have been really convincing. I am sold completely!

Last edited:

Marchisio8

Banned
Tuttosport reporting Juve rejected our 80m bid. Expecting 100m for Pogba :O

Not expecting anything, He's just not for sale, Juventus has never been a selling club. Besides I don't think the board is stupid enough to sell him 1 year before Euro 2016. Where his value most likely will increase If he put in some good performances, which he will.

Leo_Messi

My two cents: No player active in the current Serie A is worth anything above 65-70M, let alone 100M euros.

This. I say that as a fan of Serie A who follows the league on a weekly basis. In fact I would go as far and say that there is no midfielder out there who is currently worthy of such a high price tag.

People totally omit the fact that midfielders are never as expensive as attacking players and that there is no precedence of any club paying this much money for a 22 year old midfielder with the track record of Pogba.

I say let PSG or Man City pay such a ridiculous sum of money and give him an insane salary. The world does not begin or end with Pogba and there are other options out there.

Last edited:

Zebulun

based on what i've seen from videos/whoscored, Pogba won't be ideal for us. he's too similar to cesc for me in that he likes space/time to operate in. nearly all his videos showcase him scoring or charging behind the striker for juve. I may be wrong but i'm not sure he has the best close control/ control under pressure that's needed in our team. also he holds onto the ball for far too long, he would never be able to do that in spain. I'd take that 80+ mil elsewhere. veratti koke or just invest more minutes into samper.

Morten

Pogba did quite well in the world cup, didnt he? Not exceptional, but well, or so i heard. So clearly he has shown something outside Serie A.

F

Flavia

Pogba did quite well in the world cup, didnt he? Not exceptional, but well, or so i heard. So clearly he has shown something outside Serie A.
Not to be worth 100m. That's just raiola hyping him to the exosphere.

Leo_Messi

Not to be worth 100m. That's just raiola hyping him to the exosphere.

Exactly. Raiola is close to pulling off the deal of the century IMO if he will be able to sell Pogba for anything close to 100 million euros. He will be a very happy AND rich man.

As I recall it Benzema and Matuidi alone were better than him. Bartus might be able to confirm or disprove this.

I don't give much for that "best young player" award. He was nowhere near the "Golden Ball" nor did he even make the "Dream Team".

The runners-up in that "best young player" award were his teammate Varane and Depay who I think was better. His team also performed better and reached the semi-finals.

Has Pogba ever performed in the CL against a decent opponent?

serghei

Neymar didn't do much either on club level prior to his transfer at Barca. Talent is talent, you can see it on the field. That transcends everything. We should pay as much as we possibly can to get this player. Even if it means no other transfers will be made that window.

Morten

Exactly. Raiola is close to pulling off the deal of the century IMO if he will be able to sell Pogba for anything close to 100 million euros. He will be a very happy AND rich man.

As I recall it Benzema and Matuidi alone were better than him. Bartus might be able to confirm or disprove this.

I don't give much for that "best young player" award. He was nowhere near the "Golden Ball" nor did he even make the "Dream Team".

The runners-up in that "best young player" award were his teammate Varane and Depay who I think was better. His team also performed better and reached the semi-finals.

Has Pogba ever performed in the CL against a decent opponent?

I dont know, if he hasnt, he can wait until next season :)
Anyway, not saying he was close to being the best player in the world cup, but that prize is always going to go to a forward/attacker. Just as the biggest prizes on the club level always goes to strikers/attackers.

Home of Barca Fans