Paul Pogba

Bertus

Can we talk about Pogba and not PSG in this thread? It seems that too many threads turn into talk about PSG and what their Qatari owners and chairman are saying. Most of us could care less.

If Juve sell him for anything close to 80 million euros or more they will have made the deal of the century considering that they bought him as a 19 year old back in 2012 for 4 million euros!

Having said that then it is an absurd sum of money regardless of the current market.

Pogba is neither the best playmaker out there, famed for his goalscoring ability or a defensive bulwark. He has a bit of everything though but is that enough to warrant such a high price? I am not so sure. I am yet to see him decide/boss a game at the highest level against an difficult opponent. Or doing that on a consistent level as the likes of Hazard, Varane etc. for instance have done.

If we were talking about the likes of Hazard for instance that kind of money would be acceptable. That's just me.

Gonna quote Bojan again:

- Pogba's fee shouldn't be a problem as long as Barca can pay it, because even if he fails, he can still be sold for an insane price + he will be one of most marketable players soon (not ronaldo or messi level, but still ultra popular), Barca will earn mass of money in merchandising.

Leo_Messi

Lol PSG is a failure... Chelsea didn't win the CL for what, 9 years? Despite making several semi final appearances as well as a final appearance and being one of the best teams in England. These projects take time, and the CL isn't the be all end all when you're in the first 5 years of the project. Even moreso when you consider they are in Ligue 1, hardly a league that makes world class players jump for joy(no offence Bertus). They've done well to get where they are, the CL isn't something that is necessary right now, but it's always something newly rich, championship winning sides like PSG and City will strive for.

In other words you're pretty much telling Bertus to stfu. He can post what he wants, especially as people are throwing around rumours about his club like they are absolutely true, he can debunk them with reports from France and PSG if he likes. If you don't like his posts you can scroll past.

No, I am saying that people should stick to the topic which I can do without your meddling. This thread is about Pogba and people are interested in reading news about Pogba. PSG have their own thread. I would have written the same thing if people suddenly started talking about aliens in this thread.

Keep your childish interpretation to yourself.

Last edited:

Morten

Took Chelsea 9 years and then they won with their poorest team under under Abramovich probably.

I wouldnt call them a failure even so. They made semi-finals like a habbit, and have had really bad luck in the semis a few times and the final against United. You could say their luck in 2012 was payback for all their misfortunes earlier, looking at their history in cl. Chelski has done alright i think.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
In other words you're pretty much telling Bertus to stfu. He can post what he wants, especially as people are throwing around rumours about his club like they are absolutely true, he can debunk them with reports from France and PSG if he likes. If you don't like his posts you can scroll past.

Bertus is not a PSG fan. He's their prisoner with Stockholm Syndrome. He hates PSG and he loves it. He defends them and bashes them. In short, Bertus has Battered Wife Syndrome.

Leo_Messi

Gonna quote Bojan again:

- Pogba's fee shouldn't be a problem as long as Barca can pay it, because even if he fails, he can still be sold for an insane price + he will be one of most marketable players soon (not ronaldo or messi level, but still ultra popular), Barca will earn mass of money in merchandising.

I think that it is much more complicated than that. Let's assume that the club buys Pogba this summer or the next one for 80 million + (I am pretty sure that he will be this expensive given the interest in him) and he flops? We would likely not sell him the season after but give him another chance. If he continues to flop then what? Not only would he have lost value but the club would be damaged sporting wise.

I am saying this because we can practically buy Koke AND Gündogan for instance for that kind of money. Koke especially would be a much more secure option sporting wise if you ask me.

Also I am not so sure that Pogba is such a marketable player. He is no Messi, Ronaldo or even a Hazard.

Last edited:

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
I think that it is much more complicated than that. Let's assume that the club buys Pogba this summer or the next one for 80 million + (I am pretty sure that he will be this expensive given the interest in him) and he flops? We would likely not sell him the season after but give him another chance. If he continues to flop then what? Not only would he have lost value but the club would be damaged sporting wise.

I am saying this because we can practically buy Koke AND Gündogan for instance for that kind of money. Koke especially would be a much more secure option sporting wise if you ask me.

Also I am not so sure that Pogba is such a marketable player. He is no Messi, Ronaldo or even a Hazard.

A 24 year old Pogba won't lose much value, if at all. If he "flops" it would be Cesc level of flopping, he's not going to forget how to play football and look like Douglas out there. He'll lose no value at all, likely he actually earns value when you count inflation.

Leo_Messi

Guys, I am not feeling offended or anything, so don't fight :x

I don't know what that guy is blabbering about. I am not forbidding anyone from writing anything I am just urging users here to stay on topic because many threads tend to turn into off-topic discussions especially involving PSG and their players in this section (other players) of the forum. My post was not aimed at you or any specific user.

Anyway most people here should have realized by now that we won't buy any top player from PSG. The relations between the two boards are pretty much screwed and PSG won't sell the likes of Verratti or Marquinhos to us or any other club for that matter unless they come up with some SERIOUS money.

Or you could have said it in a much less douchebaggy way, that would have also helped.

Shit post gets shit reply.

Anyway I'm done. :D

Dry your eyes and safe us from your ridiculous interpretations.

Leo_Messi

A 24 year old Pogba won't lose much value, if at all. If he "flops" it would be Cesc level of flopping, he's not going to forget how to play football and look like Douglas out there. He'll lose no value at all, likely he actually earns value when you count inflation.

Pogba is actually only 22 years old. Born in March 1993.

I am not so sure about that. Let's say that Di María flops for 1 more season. Do you really think that another club would pay 80 million euros for him? I don't think so. Pogba is younger but I don't think that the situation would be much different should he flop which is not that unlikely again.

Anyway this should not be the club's main concern. Rather if other options, for instance buying Koke and Gündogan, would not be a better pick.

Remember Ibra? Another Serie A star (the main one as well) that we wasted millions on.

Anyway let us hope that you will be right should we buy him and should he then flop.

I am not convinced at all that he is the right pick nor him being that marketable.

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
Also take into consideration that Barcelona are known to not be very good when it comes to wringing money out of other clubs for players. That said, after the election is over, you may get some new people in who can change that.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
Pogba is actually only 22 years old. Born in March 1993.

I am not so sure about that. Let's say that Di María flops for 1 more season. Do you really think that another club would pay 80 million euros for him? I don't think so. Pogba is younger but I don't think that the situation would be much different should he flop which is not that unlikely again.

Anyway this should not be the club's main concern. Rather if other options, for instance buying Koke and Gündogan, would not be a better pick.

Remember Ibra? Another Serie A star (the main one as well) that we wasted millions on.

Anyway let us hope that you will be right should we buy him and should he then flop.

You said if he flops for 2 seasons, 22 + 2 = 24.

Di Maria would be 28 after one more season and while he might not go for that high, he'll still command a very high transfer even if he under-performs further.

Pogba is not the same situation because firstly, his potential "flopping" at Barca would be like a Cesc or Ibra type of "flopping" meaning under-performs or fails to adapt, but still good production; and secondly, after 2 years Pogba would still be 3 years younger than Di Maria and Cesc were when they were sold, which means the world in terms of value.

Btw, Ibra is a poor comparison because he was bought as a 28 year old and sold as a 30 year old (one loan season in between). He lost more value due to age than anything else.

Edited for clarification.

Last edited:

Leo_Messi

Another thing, Tuttosport just reported that Juventus apparently refused a 80 million euros offer from us. They are a Torino based sports newspaper that have really close connections with Juventus. Normally their credibility is very low but when it comes to Juventus they are mostly spot on. So if Juventus are refusing that kind of money think for a second what it would take to buy him.

100 million euros (for instance) would be absolutely laughable. He is no Suárez, Neymar or Ronaldo. In fact I am not sure if I would not rather pay that kind of money for a 24 year old Bale as RM did in the summer of 2013.

I am afraid that the club would commit a mistake if we bought him this summer. Just like we did when we bought Ibra right after our treble season in 2009. Also with all due respect to Pogba, Ibra was on another level when we bought him aside from being an attacking player who are always more expensive than midfielders, defenders etc.

I don't know man.

Morten

Thats how the market is these days, if you want arguably the best young midfielder(along with Verratti and Koke), you got to pay for it.

Home of Barca Fans