Paul Pogba

Leo_Messi

The price isn't as big an issue as it may sound, especially as Barca do make a lot of money, but you still don't want to pay 100m and then they flop. There's always a risk involved. I mean, when Chelsea payed something like £32m for Hazard(true he was from Ligue 1 but still) and then you have Pogba for €100m, it's hard to find the value sometimes. But then you have Luiz for £50m. The market sure is crazy.

Exactly. I also have the Ibra deal in the back of my head and I was very convinced of him being the next big thing for us and I spoke in favor of his transfer. In hindsight I was wrong and the club lost a fortune.

Let's not forget that the club has a very bad track record when it comes to selling players.

As I wrote before as well then it's not so much about money for me it's more a combination of whether Pogba would be worthy of his transfer fee and wages compared to other options out there. So it's basically sporting value and money.

Let's just assume that instead of buying Pogba the club bought Koke and Gündogan. Koke would beast it in our midfield while Gündogan would make us almost forget Xavi. Now imagine if we bought Pogba for 100 million euros and he flopped? Yes, we could probably sell him the season after or the season after again for 60 million euros or more but that would still be a loss of money and not only that we could be worse of sporting wise while we potentially could have been much better off.

Oh my, I know it won't happen, but a midfield matuidi+verratti+pogba would be like putting together Batman+Superman+Spiderman :worthy:

That would be something. It's a shame for you guys (Frenchmen) that Verratti was not born on Corsica. If so your national team could have played with that midfield! I am happy that he plays for Italy though. Can't complain.

Eh... Pogba is going to be awesome wherever he lands, and would be especially so at Barca or RM. His potential is second to none and that includes players such as Neymar, Leo Messi just likes to hear himself talk. 100m is steep but it's today's market, and as has already been alluded, whatever club signs him will easily make that back in merchandising and marketing alone. If he busts? Put him back on the market for a comparable fee, even if it's at 90% of what you initially paid.

It's hard to see the negatives in this signing. Juve, Real, or Paris fans will be happy come fall.

That's your opinion. My arguments are strong arguments whether you like it or not and I am pretty sure that I have watched Pogba many more times than you have and most other users here with all due respect.
I am participating in a discussion with several users something that you have a difficulty with understanding as you tend to write to yourself.

Last edited:

Bertus

Eh... Pogba is going to be awesome wherever he lands, and would be especially so at Barca or RM. His potential is second to none and that includes players such as Neymar, Leo Messi just likes to hear himself talk. 100m is steep but it's today's market, and as has already been alluded, whatever club signs him will easily make that back in merchandising and marketing alone. If he busts? Put him back on the market for a comparable fee, even if it's at 90% of what you initially paid.

It's hard to see the negatives in this signing. Juve, Real, or Paris fans will be happy come fall.

I know all that, but he would also be awesome in PSG midfield. Too bad the FFP sanctions against PSG only end in summer 2016 :(

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
Hazard was the perfect transfer. For every Hazard, there's 5-6 Schurrles.
Haha, not exactly! Not many flops gets sold for more money than what they were bought for. :D:D

I think Pogba is more likely to end up at PSG if he does move. Can City afford to buy him without heavily breaching FFP? They don't seem to do that well when it comes to selling. Then again they probably don't care...

serghei

Haha, not exactly! Not many flops gets sold for more money than what they were bought for. :D:D

I knew you're gonna say that. I wanted to edit the comment, but then I realised that the point still stands. You didn't buy Schurrle to sell him for profit. He just wasn't working out for you. The fact that you made money with a failed transfer (strictly on footballing terms) only shows that Chelsea knows how to sell.

Last edited:

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
I knew you're gonna say that. I wanted to edit the comment, but then I realised that the point still stands. You didn't buy Schurrle to sell him for profit. He just wasn't working out for you. The fact that you made money with a failed transfer (strictly on footballing terms) only shows that Chelsea knows how to sell.
Well yeah of course, it's just a bonus we got a good price for him in the end. Seriously, Chelsea are borderline scammers when it comes to selling players.

A good point was brought up earlier about Pogba, how it's attackers who are sold for the big money and not midfielders. A Pogba sale of over €80m could end up being the start of top class midfielders all costing over £50m. I was going to say next thing you know defenders are going to start costing that too... Hang on a sec! :lol:

Kohe321

@Leo_Messi I remember we had this discussion after the rumors of Gundogan to ManU had just started, and we both concluded that Pogba should not be pursued if the price surpassed 70-75m, which it apparently just did with Juve dismissing a 80m bid. If that bid included that same insane salary demand of 12m a year after taxes, then I'm not sure what the Barca board has been smoking when they sent the bid to Juve...

If Pogba is bought for 100m and flops, we will never be selling him again for the same amount or more. That will never happen, even with inflation taken into account. Inflation wouldn't get much time to grow anyway, because if he flopped it would be clear within the first or second season, and he'd be out quickly. No way would they keep paying 12m a year to a player who wasn't performing at the highest level year after year. Keeping him for 5-6 years as an underperformer would be financial disaster. The transfer fee alone would be a huge loss, let alone counting the 12m a year he would have been collecting in the meantime.

Look, Pogba is a great young player, but I am really against jumping on this hype train that Juve and Raiola are creating together with the media here. This price is utterly absurd, and the salary even more so for such a young player. I said it earlier, but imagine the future contract negotiations (if things went well for him) when the baseline you're negotiating from is 12m a year, at 22 years old. His contract talks around 28-30 are going to be fun, eh?

100m would be worth it if he went on to be a world class player who has a career lasting 10+ years in Barca, but that is not at all certain. In my opinion he has not shown nearly enough to be worth that fee at all, which is why I called him "unproven" in the last debate, which I received some flak for. I admitted that was a bit too salty - he has indeed proven himself at a high level, but nothing like Neymar did at 22 with Brazil. In his case, the asking price could be much more easily defended. Forget that one is a midfielder and one is a forward - the point is, what have they done to earn that hype in their position? Neymar was an obvious super rare talent from the country that has produced some of the most legendary forwards, and hey, forwards are not exactly cheap either, so the fact that Pogba seems to be costing more than Neymar did while having done less should be a big warning sign.

I'd rather go for Gundogan for 25m and then perhaps Koke for 60m, or take a risk with someone like Oliver Torres or Kovacic in addition to Gundogan. We have other positions that needs reinforcing as well, we can't go and spend 100m on one midfielder.

Last edited:

Leo_Messi

@Leo_Messi I remember we had this discussion after the rumors of Gundogan to ManU had just started, and we both concluded that Pogba should not be pursued if the price surpassed 70-75m, which it apparently just did with Juve dismissing a 80m bid. If that bid included that same insane salary demand of 12m a year after taxes, then I'm not sure what the Barca board has been smoking when they sent the bid to Juve...

If Pogba is bought for 100m and flops, we will never be selling him again for the same amount or more. That will never happen, even with inflation taken into account. Inflation wouldn't get much time to grow anyway, because if he flopped it would be clear within the first or second season, and he'd be out quickly. No way would they keep paying 12m a year to a player who wasn't performing at the highest level year after year. Keeping him for 5-6 years as an underperformer would be financial disaster. The transfer fee alone would be a huge loss, let alone counting the 12m a year he would have been collecting in the meantime.

Look, Pogba is a great young player, but I am really against jumping on this hype train that Juve and Raiola are creating together with the media here. This price is utterly absurd, and the salary even more so for such a young player. I said it earlier, but imagine the future contract negotiations (if things went well for him) when the baseline you're negotiating from is 12m a year, at 22 years old. His contract talks around 28-30 are going to be fun, eh?

100m would be worth it if he went on to be a world class player who has a career lasting 10+ years in Barca, but that is not at all certain. In my opinion he has not shown nearly enough to be worth that fee at all, which is why I called him "unproven" in the last debate, which I received some flak for. I admitted that was a bit too salty - he has indeed proven himself at a high level, but nothing like Neymar did at 22. In his case, the asking price could be much more easily defended. Forget that one is a midfielder and one is a forward - the point is, what have they done to earn that hype in their position? Forwards are not exactly cheap either, so the fact that Pogba seems to be costing more than Neymar while having done less should be a big warning sign.

I'd rather go for Gundogan for 25m and then perhaps Koke for 60m, or take a risk with someone like Oliver Torres or Kovacic in addition to Gundogan. We have other positions that needs reinforcing as well, we can't go and spend 100m on one midfielder.

ribzbr.gif

xc6mxg.gif

You have basically written what I have been writing in fewer words and just in 1 post. I could not agree more.

Last edited:

Alik

100m would be worth it if he went on to be a world class player who has a career lasting 10+ years in Barca, but that is not at all certain. In my opinion he has not shown nearly enough to be worth that fee at all, which is why I called him "unproven" in the last debate, which I received some flak for. I admitted that was a bit too salty - he has indeed proven himself at a high level, but nothing like Neymar did at 22 with Brazil. In his case, the asking price could be much more easily defended. Forget that one is a midfielder and one is a forward - the point is, what have they done to earn their hype given their position? Neymar was an obvious super rare talent from the country that has produced some of the most legendary forwards, and hey, forwards are not exactly cheap either, so the fact that Pogba seems to be costing more than Neymar did while having done less should be a big warning sign with blinking text reading "Beware, here there be hype".

+1

dakt

I cannot believe you guys would cash out 100mil for that player. We will become like RM for fuck sake. Buy young talents for cheap and train them through our system.
We can hold on with Iniesta, Rafinha and Rakitic for a season or two. In the mean time, we should buy couple of very promising and talented players for no more than 30 mil.

Morten

I cannot believe you guys would cash out 100mil for that player. We will become like RM for fuck sake. Buy young talents for cheap and train them through our system.
We can hold on with Iniesta, Rafinha and Rakitic for a season or two. In the mean time, we should buy couple of very promising and talented players for no more than 30 mil.

What? You are not in the Guardiola-era anymore, mate. You bought 2 galacticos these two past summers. More to come, im sure.

Home of Barca Fans