Paul Pogba

Kohe321

Suarez cost 81m EUR and was completely worth it. He was probably a hundred times more proven when we bought him than Pogba is right now, which makes the fact that Juventus just dismissed a bid of a similar price for Pogba pretty funny. Add to that how they are the undisputed world champion lowballers of the football world, then... Well... :lol:

Pogba would be a "galactico" only in price, probably not in substance. I really don't see him making that immediate impact like Hazard, Suarez or Neymar would do. Who knows though, I could be wrong - but that's back to the question of risk and reward, where I fall firmly on the side of thinking he's not worth the 80m, let alone 100m risk.

Last edited:

Hamzah

High Definition Member
our iniesta replacement isn't an easy thing. koke is unavailable. pogba is too much of a risk and gundogan may be crippled.

there has to be a more left field and smarter option. let's pick up a player before he gets to the middle man and increases in price for a change.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
You guys keep talking about the risks of a high fee because of the player potentially flopping and the team not being able to recuperate their investment, but what exactly do you mean by flopping? When was the last time a player like that actually flopped?

There's a difference between flopping and under-performing your fee. Ibra was not a flop, he under-performed his fee and didn't fit. Di Maria hasn't been a flop in Man U, he's just under-performing his fee. Cesc was not a flop, he just never reached the expectation people had of him. Bale is not a flop, again, under-performing his fee. There is a difference.

Flop is Vermaelen (so far), Douglas, Chygrynskiy. Those are flops.

Pogba has about as minuscule a chance of flopping as there can be. Short of him forgetting how to play football or suffering a career ending injury, he just won't be a flop. Can he under-perform his huge fee? Sure. Can he be a disappointment because he never reaches the expectation levels to justify his fee? Sure. But even if he never plays well enough to justify his fee, he's going to command a huge resale fee.

Gareth Bale has not justified his €100M fee that RM payed for him, but if they decide to sell him this summer, 2 years after buying him, 2 years where he has not lived up to his fee, he'd still fetch a similar price.

(And once again, my disclaimer, just speaking about the resale value argument, I'll repeat I would go only as high as €75M for Pogba because Barca need more players and cannot spend all in just one.)

Alik

Gareth Bale has not justified his €100M fee that RM payed for him, but if they decide to sell him this summer, 2 years after buying him, 2 years where he has not lived up to his fee, he'd still fetch a similar price.

You brought up Bale. Would you not say he has flopped, not only relative to price but absolutely? We'll see what price he'll be sold at, but I'd expect it to be 60-70 million tops. That's already more than 30 million loss in addition to his poor performance.

Last edited:

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
You brought up Bale. Would you not say he has flopped, not only relative to price but absolutel? We'll see what price he'll be sold at, but I'd expect it to be 70 million tops. That's already more than 30 million loss in addition to his poor performance.

No Bale hasn't flopped, absolutely not. He has not come close to justifying or living up to his humongous fee, but that doesn't mean he flopped. And yes, if sold this summer I expect another humongous fee.

Alen

You guys keep talking about the risks of a high fee because of the player potentially flopping and the team not being able to recuperate their investment, but what exactly do you mean by flopping? When was the last time a player like that actually flopped?

There's a difference between flopping and under-performing your fee. Ibra was not a flop, he under-performed his fee and didn't fit. Di Maria hasn't been a flop in Man U, he's just under-performing his fee. Cesc was not a flop, he just never reached the expectation people had of him. Bale is not a flop, again, under-performing his fee. There is a difference.

Flop is Vermaelen (so far), Douglas, Chygrynskiy. Those are flops.

Pogba has about as minuscule a chance of flopping as there can be. Short of him forgetting how to play football or suffering a career ending injury, he just won't be a flop. Can he under-perform his huge fee? Sure. Can he be a disappointment because he never reaches the expectation levels to justify his fee? Sure. But even if he never plays well enough to justify his fee, he's going to command a huge resale fee.

(And once again, my disclaimer, just speaking about the resale value argument, I'll repeat I would go only as high as €75M for Pogba because Barca need more players and cannot spend all in just one.)

Makes sense but a 100M player not living up to his fee is the same as a 20M player flopping. The expectations are so high that i don't see a midfielder possibly living up to them.
I also have a feeling that we'd sell him for at most half the price if he under performs, as we've done before.

Alik

No Bale hasn't flopped, absolutely not. He has not come close to justifying or living up to his humongous fee, but that doesn't mean he flopped. And yes, if sold this summer I expect another humongous fee.

Well, I guess we disagree there.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
Well, I guess we disagree there.

You want to see a RM flop, look no further than Illarramendi. That's €30M flushed down the toiled. They'd be lucky to get half of that now 2 years later. (disclaimer, at least he's a flop so far)

And even a flop like that still has resale value because of age.

Last edited:

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
Makes sense but a 100M player not living up to his fee is the same as a 20M player flopping. The expectations are so high that i don't see a midfielder possibly living up to them.
I also have a feeling that we'd sell him for at most half the price if he under performs, as we've done before.

Fair enough, and this, among other reasons, is why I wouldn't spend a penny over €75M for Pogba.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
IMO pogba goes for £80-90m and if he flops he goes to the premier league or psg for £60m.

barca could handle that kind of loss actually.

Alen

Who knows, maybe he'll be an awesome signing. Plus, once you reach 80M, 100M is only a matter of principles. It's the wage demands that i'm not ok with, as they directly affect the team mojo.

Home of Barca Fans