Paul Pogba

BenRobbins

Also i didn't know he has a brother who plays for Crawley town? :lol::lol:

Imagine if Raiola sold him to City for £100 million instead of Paul

BenRobbins

His twin, Florentine, plays for Saint Etienne. Really good player, actually. And still young.

Does he have enough talent to play for a top club? Or is he at around his level now?

Always find it odd when there is a situation like this where there are 3 brothers who are all professional footballers. Is the Pogba family tree have a lot of footballers in previous generations do you know?

I

instinct

Noone knows whether Pogba would be a ''flop'' for us or not. Assumptions like ''he'd be shit for us'' or ''he doesn't fit in our system'' are based on speculations instead of actual facts.
He could become the player everyone expects him to be and if that's the case, the price tag won't be remembered anymore in a few years. He's young and extremely talented and he not only shows his talent in the ''overrated Serie A''. He is playing at a very high level for the French NT and had a very good WC (at least in my opinion)

Let's be honest: Does the price tag really matter for a club like Barcelona? Assuming that we still have money left for other crucial signings, he could be affordable for any price especially since Pedro and Song could be sold at the end of the season.
We know very little about the club's financial status and how the club would deal with such a huge transfer without doing harm to our finances. In addition, Pogba is young and every top club is after him. There would probably be a big club willing to buy him for a huge fee even if he played below the expectations in one season at Barcelona.

I don't say that we should go for him at all costs but we shouldn't judge a possible transfer based on speculation since we're only fans and other people know more about football than we do. Few people expected Rakitic to be a good transfer (including me) but he proved us all wrong. Why should Pogba not be able to do this?

Jair Ventura

Does he have enough talent to play for a top club? Or is he at around his level now?

Perhaps not start, but I could see him in a reserve role. Saint Etienne is a top French club with awesome youth development, so I'd wager he'd do well at Arsenal/Liverpool, Valencia/Sevilla, Lazio/Napoli, Leverkusen/Gladbach level clubs.

Always find it odd when there is a situation like this where there are 3 brothers who are all professional footballers. Is the Pogba family tree have a lot of footballers in previous generations do you know?

Not sure about his parents, they're Guinean immigrants so there maybe some footballing background.

Jair Ventura

If it's Juventus that turns down City, and not the player, then I suspect Juve already has an agreement with a suitor. It isn't Madrid and is isn't United(don't believe they're contenders at all). If Juventus loses this week, shortly after they'll announce an agreement with Dybala, an extension of Tevez or the addition of Cavani, and the departure of Pogba.

RM announcing today that they've willingly exited the race for his signature, this early into negotiations, only fuels my suspicions.

DrPepper

I don't say that we should go for him at all costs but we shouldn't judge a possible transfer based on speculation since we're only fans and other people know more about football than we do. Few people expected Rakitic to be a good transfer (including me) but he proved us all wrong. Why should Pogba not be able to do this?

Rakitic was a 20M transfer, hence less pressure. Why do we have to pay 100M for a midfielder whose skillset is fairly similar to Rakitic? Especially when there are a lot of better players for us (not necessarily in terms of individual quality) and some are even more established in world football.

If anything, Rakitic's transfer showed that we don't need to splash huge amounts of money for the best individual players but rather buy intelligently without spending unreasonable money. I thought we were a team that wasn't just about individual quality, but rather about the whole being greater than the sum of its parts.

And yeah, the price tag matters. Why shouldn't it? I doubt the board would get much for Pedro and Song :)lol:) as well.

G

Gasgas

Rakitic was a 20M transfer, hence less pressure. Why do we have to pay 100M for a midfielder whose skillset is fairly similar to Rakitic? Especially when there are a lot of better players for us (not necessarily in terms of individual quality) and some are even more established in world football.

If anything, Rakitic's transfer showed that we don't need to splash huge amounts of money for the best individual players but rather buy intelligently without spending unreasonable money. I thought we were a team that wasn't just about individual quality, but rather about the whole being greater than the sum of its parts.

And yeah, the price tag matters. Why shouldn't it? I doubt the board would get much for Pedro and Song :)lol:) as well.

So basically you are saying we should buy a. Gundogan who is just back from career threatening injury and is fffar below his best from before injury?

DrPepper

"just back" lol. That injury thing plus him being allegedly much worse than pre-injury is the lamest argument ever. It's the same thing as making him the only one responsible for Dortmund's downfall, ignoring the fact that his teammates have changed over the years, from prime Hummels, Subotic, Lewandowski, Reus and Götze to the likes of Ginter, shit Hummels, Mkhitaryan, Immobile and Kampl. That makes a huge difference, especially at Dortmund; a team, where the whole was indeed much greater than the sum of its parts and played the best collective counterpressing in world football. Now? Long balls to Aubameyang to chase it.

Even prime Xavi couldn't do much with these scrubs. He, like Gündogan, makes his teammates better, but when they're shit already there's not much to improve. A team player suffers when others are bad and Ilkay is without doubt one. Shame most people just repeat things they hear from somewhere before making their own judgement. Doubt many here who like to throw in dem phrases watched more than 1 game.

Add to that there are plenty of other players I would prefer ahead of Pogba. Iniesta is not fully done anyway and benching Rakitic after a (potential) treble season would be harsh too.

Then again many people here would take the Alcuntara back who is even more "just back" from injury. Hypocrisy everywhere. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead
I think he'll fit right in, but only if Lucho stays, if he leaves this summer or after his contract expires and Laporta brings in someone like Pep(or Pep himself) and we play tiki-taka again then we'll have to sell Pogba and Rakitic. I am not worried about the price, if Barca is bidding 80M for him, they know that he'll pay off, he'll 22 years old after all, he can play for like +10 years for us.

G

Gasgas

"just back" lol. That injury thing plus him being allegedly much worse than pre-injury is the lamest argument ever. It's the same thing as making him the only one responsible for Dortmund's downfall, ignoring the fact that his teammates have changed over the years, from prime Hummels, Subotic, Lewandowski, Reus and Götze to the likes of Ginter, shit Hummels, Mkhitaryan, Immobile and Kampl. That makes a huge difference, especially at Dortmund; a team, where the whole was indeed much greater than the sum of its parts and played the best collective counterpressing in world football. Now? Long balls to Aubameyang to chase it.

Even prime Xavi couldn't do much with these scrubs. He, like Gündogan, makes his teammates better, but when they're shit already there's not much to improve. A team player suffers when others are bad and Ilkay is without doubt one. Shame most people just repeat things they hear from somewhere before making their own judgement. Doubt many here who like to throw in dem phrases watched more than 1 game.

Add to that there are plenty of other players I would prefer ahead of Pogba. Iniesta is not fully done anyway and benching Rakitic after a (potential) treble season would be harsh too.

Then again many people here would take the Alcuntara back who is even more "just back" from injury. Hypocrisy everywhere. :rolleyes:
For starters i dont want thiago back

And i think the argument that we should buy a player just because he was worldclass two years back is as worse as it gets,

And i am not talking about his teammates here i am talking about his indiviidual play. He has become slower, more sloppy reluctant to tackle
His dribbling has become less and less impressive

G

Gasgas

And Dr. Pepper. There are more reasons to why i prefer pogba to gundogan

1. Pogba is younger and yet has higher potential and has a bigger name and so even if he flops he can be sold for very hgh amounts
2. Pogba is more versatile. With Juve he is attack mnded and more box to box, while with the french national team he iis the pacesetter and has excelled in both
3. Pogba has more tools in the box. Dribbling, physicality headers excellent visionary passes predatory instincts and he is much better defensively and he fits right into the role Iniesta is playing with upgrades in more areas and he is 22 so he will be here for a long time and form a longterm partnership with neymar ter stegen and the likes (younger starters)
4. Pogba suits lucho's direct play a lot batter. Can control direct aerial balls superbly as well as ground balls
5.pogba is a bigger name. Will sell us more shirts and all that marketing stuff
6. We have a future french national team with us as well
7. Hehas a higher ceiling too
8. Usually with transfers players in a new team players usually go into a bit of poor form before adapting completely especially at barca, gundogan being as bad as he is these days, anything worse than what he is offering will be a disaster,
Pogba is already performing world class levels, he will likely suit right into lucho's system in the left of the midfield and set things on fire right away, he is that good and his profile fits right away. While with gundogan we will be moved more towards the pre-lucho post-pep period

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans