Paulinho

Potroh

Once again, I wasn't actually calling him an idiot.

Well you did call him an idiot, but let's just get over it.

(Especially from a player who's only experience is in fucking China) isn't as valuable as youth. Sorry. Who would you sign for your club, Iniesta, or Verratti? Ronaldinho, or Neymar?

As I've said elsewhere, the "fucking China" factor would be truly important if the player had played nowhere else, so he was actually "coming" from China but Paulinho still plays for his NT, so China doesn't really matter in his general context. I don't say he is a Barca material player, because I don't know it as yet, I just say: his years in China don't really matter.

Adriano, or Grimaldo? Toure, or Kroos? Dembele, or Pedro?

A rich club needs and wants players who can fulfill their particular aim. They usually don't care about their age because they want to stay on top all the time, have the money, therefore they like to possess the best ones, regardless their present age. Smaller clubs live on cultivating the young talents, then selling them over.
Barca is a special case because of the academy and its tradition giving WC players, but as you can easily see, that tradition is fading and the bad management tries to wrongly buy unfit players like Arda or Gomes, Vidal or Douglas - hoping that the investment pays off.

I've lived my entire life playing the game too, bud. I may not have a professional career behind me but I live in America, where you're actively discouraged by clubs to even try to play on a higher level unless your parents have the cash, so go somewhere with your "beer in hand in front of the TV" bullshit and shove it. Who the hell are you to make judgments about me?

Unfortunately I didn't address the "beer in hand in front of the TV" parable particularly towards you, didn't even think of making such a judgement. It was/is simply a general sentence towards those statistical-minded folks, who think and believe that the mere age of a player tells a lot about him.
So no reason to get angry again, I didn't mean to hurt you personally.

You being a former pro doesn't make you better than anyone here, and it doesn't validate your opinion any more, either. Get off your fucking high horse, abuelo.

No, I'm not a bit better just because I played on a relatively high level.
I just might have a DIFFERENT angle to see things, compared to the average chair-beer-player. I think (might be wrong) that very rarely reading a tiny bit more insider-type of opinion would never hurt, even if I'm wrong time to time.
My opinion is just one out the many, and I don't feel being "superior" in any sense, just because I used to be a pro. Perhaps you will understand that when you calm down a bit.

Older players start to slow down. They lose their skill bit by bit. They decline.

Wrong. Older players tend to slow down but it's not always the most important factor.
Wrong. Older players NEVER lose their skill, they are simply not motivated anymore for different reasons. Skill is a gift, that stays and never goes away. Other negative factors just cover it.

Is Paulinho a top class player? Is that what you're trying to say? If not you are speaking utter nonsense and arguing against a strawman.

Paulinho is an international-class player, who can give 2-3 good years to the team. But who knows, maybe not. Regardless of that, his mere age tells little about his future in this team.
The utter nonsense I say is what 95% of all players or ex-players worldwide would answer to the question, that's why I repeatedly say that the players or pros think a bit differently about these basic questions.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
Barcelona do need young players in key positions but that doesn't mean that Paulinho won't be a good signing or that he won't contribute some good seasons for Barcelona. Paulinho might be a good signing when looked at individually but people are angry because they wanted a different type of player (controlling midfielder) or a guy with more reputation. So I think people are directing all anger towards Paulinho unfairly.

Givenchy

i want to see him starting ahead of Raki and Gomes, give the guy a chance i say. if he can replicate his Brazil form for us he'll contribute alot this season.

all anger should be directed at Barto

If, at the age of 29, Paulinho, after having been voted as Spurs' worst player of all time and having left Europe years ago to go to China, a fucking retirement league, turns out to be anything other than a catastrophic failure, he will unironically have pulled off the greatest career turnaround of all time. Not even Thiago Silva flopping in Russia, going to Brazil and then returning to Europe in the middle of his career to become one of the world's best CBs will come close.

Should he be a success for us by June, I will make him my avatar for 6 months. Screenshot this.

Last edited:

mesiesta

If, at the age of 29, Paulinho, after having been voted as Spurs' worst player of all time and having left Europe years ago to go to China, a fucking retirement league, turns out to be anything other than a catastrophic failure, he will unironically have pulled off the greatest career turnaround of all time. Not even Thiago Silva flopping in Russia, going to Brazil and then returning to Europe in the middle of his career to become one of the world's best CBs will come close.

Should he be a success for us by June, I will make him my avatar for 6 months. Screenshot this.

Lelouch vi Britannia with Paulinho's avatar... I'm done now :D

michelco

Well you did call him an idiot, but let's just get over it.
As I've said elsewhere, the "fucking China" factor would be truly important if the player had played nowhere else, so he was actually "coming" from China but Paulinho still plays for his NT, so China doesn't really matter in his general context. I don't say he is a Barca material player, because I don't know it as yet, I just say: his years in China don't really matter.

Oh but it does. There's a reason Paulinho's career on top club football ended at only 26 years of age. There's a reason no other club would buy him after his Tottenham stint. There's a reason he had to go to China. There's a reason Tottenham fans were ecstatic by his departure. There's a reason I once saw him in a Tottenham game trying to trap the ball, only for him to completely mess it up having the ball hitting him in his own face then toppling over.

Since you are completely discarding this reason, I'll spell it out for you: He's shit. That's the reason

Tomchin

Not sure if this has been clarified already in the thread, but what was going on there yesterday during the press-conference, when they mentioned that Paulinho's price was 40M + VARIABLES!? His release-clause was 40M, so how can we possibly have paid extra variables to get him?

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Did I read correctly the other day that Paulinho was 40mil. + variables? Cause I thought the release clause was 40 fixed.

Acer

People underestimated him only because has played in China.

His actually a strong and skillfull midfielder

Truthist

Barcelona do need young players in key positions but that doesn't mean that Paulinho won't be a good signing or that he won't contribute some good seasons for Barcelona. Paulinho might be a good signing when looked at individually but people are angry because they wanted a different type of player (controlling midfielder) or a guy with more reputation. So I think people are directing all anger towards Paulinho unfairly.

People are not angry because he isn't a controllin midfielder, it's more a case of buying a 29 year old from the Chinese league, who was only there because he was a flop in his previous stint in Europe. Besides since when do Chinese teams ever sell players for a profit, teams sell their flops to them and fleece them, we must be the only club that the reverse has happened so the anger is completely justifiable.

JamDav1982

People are not angry because he isn't a controllin midfielder, it's more a case of buying a 29 year old from the Chinese league, who was only there because he was a flop in his previous stint in Europe. Besides since when do Chinese teams ever sell players for a profit, teams sell their flops to them and fleece them, we must be the only club that the reverse has happened so the anger is completely justifiable.

To be fair he went to China not on a massive fee and was one of if not the best player in the league by all accounts and put in the effort a lot dont.

He didnt seem to treat it as a retirement league as many do.

No idea how he will turn out but he was good in Brazil, good for Brazil and good in China. Have to hope something went drastically wrong at Spurs inbetween all that.

mia7007

I like to be optimistic, he can give aggressiveness to the midfield better than Raki,Gomes,Denis...
Which gives us opportunity to play with 2 strong midfielders Sergio/Roberto/Paulinho leaving one creative midfielder like Iniesta and may be Raki/Gomes/Alena (assuming Gomes will be back to form and same for Raki) or switch to 4-2-3-1 eih Messi as play maker

Potroh

There's a reason Paulinho's career on top club football ended at only 26 years of age. There's a reason no other club would buy him after his Tottenham stint. There's a reason he had to go to China.

Right, there's a reason for everything and anything, but hopefully you don't imply that in the football market each and every player have been playing where they should be or where they belong to.
If he played bad in Tottenham, perhaps no club had a good offer for him, so logically he went to China for the money. But it doesn't necessarily mean he had no offers.
(Similar to Arda and Gomes cases... as far as we know there are no clubs really begging or scamble for them. So what would have happened if Enrique wasn't as silly as refusing the Chinese offer in January?)

Since you are completely discarding this reason, I'll spell it out for you: He's shit. That's the reason

I'm not discarding this reason, I simply do not know it yet.
But in case you do know the reason, namely that he is a pile of bowel, how does China matter?

Home of Barca Fans