Penal Madrid

footyfan

Calma, calma
I would say that Ronaldo relies on his team mates to the same degree that Messi and pretty much any forward does, we have see plenty of games in the past where he disappears when his team's tactics come up short. he struggles just like any player would. The comparison isn't exactly fair either, Messi doesn't just finish our attacks, he's usually the one who starts them too while Ronaldo has less responsibility in that regard.

Messi relies less on team-mates' passes than any forward in the world (Messi is impossible) but Ronaldo doesn't rely on getting x no. of touches on the ball to get going like Messi does. Messi's strengths are all on-the-ball and combinations, while Ronaldo's strengths are all off-the-ball and versatility related (headers, left foot, right foot). He doesn't need to be involved in the play like Messi does, which is why you can stick him in different setups and he'll get goals (as long as teammates are creating chances for him). To me, creating a chance for Ronaldo is easier than creating a chance for Messi due to Ronaldo's versatility and that's a big advantage.

IMO Ronaldo is the best goalscorer in the world. Messi trumps him in playmaking abilities but it's not like Ronaldo is some chump. Take the game vs Atleti for example. Also, last season, Ronaldo got more assists (and goals) than Messi despite playing less minutes.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
IMO Ronaldo is the best goalscorer in the world. Messi trumps him in playmaking abilities but it's not like Ronaldo is some chump. Take the game vs Atleti for example. Also, last season, Ronaldo got more assists (and goals) than Messi despite playing less minutes.

Really? Ronaldo had more assists last season? And he played less minutes?

Giving assists is not the same as play making though. Passing the ball to a teammate who is in the perfect position to score is not necessarily playmaking.

I'd say the first half vs. Atletico is an anomaly though. Haven't seen Ronaldo play like that in a great, great while.

Kerrybai

Messi relies less on team-mates' passes than any forward in the world (Messi is impossible) but Ronaldo doesn't rely on getting x no. of touches on the ball to get going like Messi does. Messi's strengths are all on-the-ball and combinations, while Ronaldo's strengths are all off-the-ball and versatility related (headers, left foot, right foot). He doesn't need to be involved in the play like Messi does, which is why you can stick him in different setups and he'll get goals (as long as teammates are creating chances for him). To me, creating a chance for Ronaldo is easier than creating a chance for Messi due to Ronaldo's versatility and that's a big advantage.

I see where you are coming from, the only thing I will add is that assists don't tell us the full story of Messi's playmaking contribution.

I'd also rank Ronaldo as the better goalscorer as he has more weapons in his arsenal, headers being his stand out advantage.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I see where you are coming from, the only thing I will add is that assists don't tell us the full story of Messi's playmaking contribution.

I'd also rank Ronaldo as the better goalscorer as he has more weapons in his arsenal, headers being his stand out advantage.

And bicycle kicks, which Messi will never master. ;)

Co0ter

messi-solo-goal-vs-real-madrid-o[1].gif

best-goal-messi-o.gif

LionelMessigoal.gif

messi-goal-2-vs-getafe-a.gif

763487603.gif

These are few I quickly picked. I mean, sure, we can compare Ronaldo with Messi by how many goals each have scored....but it's just that. Otherwise, I wouldn't even bother comparing these two.
Playmaking, assists, dribbling, vision, not diving....wow, where do I start!?
Messi's top N goals will always be better then any other's player top N. If for some reason Messi would suddenly disappear, I would still say, THE BEST EVER. Ronaldo or any other living known player
just don't have that ability. Period. Win 20 freaking ballon dors, I don't care. I know art when I see it. And mostly, that feeling when Messi has the ball...the only player that comes this close is Iniesta (oh shit
Barca again, but fuk it...it's the truth).
The biggest compliment that Ronaldo ever got and is getting is that he is constantly being compared to the best footballer in history...and I don't think it's because he deserves it but because it's being pumped by
RM machinery, fans and media. Otherwise it's a different galaxy all together.

I know art when I see it.

Amen, brother. It's not about what you've done, it's about how you do it.

Mitchell1978

Ronaldo played 4027 minutes last year (2537 in la liga), Messi 3746 (2505 in la liga).

Another thing Messi has much greater ability in creating for himself and his teammates. Its not just about finishing chances your teammates create for you.

Last edited:

Samper

pretty shure its around 280 million now (around 2009 it was around 450 million if i remember correctly)

Both Real Madrid and Barca always come out with their netto debt. They just say the netto debt is X. I think the netto debt of Barca is 234 million atm. And Real Madrids is like 75 million. All the debts on the balance sheet are higher. I am not really in the mood to explain it all. But this article from Swiss ramble explains it really well. The numbers are outdated but it's the idea.

http://swissramble.blogspot.nl/2012/04/truth-about-debt-at-barcelona-and-real.html

Home of Barca Fans