Penal Madrid

F

Flavia

With Khedira and Illara playing they actually won't be as imbalanced as most of us think. Problem is that Khedira is injured and Illara was banished. I really think it was media influence that caused Carlo to finally play the kid last week and today. But as a starter? I highly doubt that will happen so we'll still see the midfield trio they have now.

But Carlo seemed to have a hard on for Khedira which kind of goes against us or any other top team facing them since he is a defensive presence they need. Once he comes back, he'll probably be a starter again along with Modric and Kroos.
What about Hames? benched?

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
With Khedira and Illara playing they actually won't be as imbalanced as most of us think. Problem is that Khedira is injured and Illara was banished. I really think it was media influence that caused Carlo to finally play the kid last week and today. But as a starter? I highly doubt that will happen so we'll still see the midfield trio they have now.

But Carlo seemed to have a hard on for Khedira which kind of goes against us or any other top team facing them since he is a defensive presence they need. Once he comes back, he'll probably be a starter again along with Modric and Kroos.

To achieve that, you gotta bench one of Bale, James or Benzema. I also think Khedira looks more interested in protecting his future next year outside of Madrid than anything. Don't think he'll play all that much, tbh, and about Illarra I just don't think he's that good.

I still insist that Madrid's inconsistency due to imbalance is going to hurt them in a long campaign. They'll be dangerous in a one game scenario because of all the individualities and talented players though.

CuleLife4Life

To achieve that, you gotta bench one of Bale, James or Benzema. I also think Khedira looks more interested in protecting his future next year outside of Madrid than anything. Don't think he'll play all that much, tbh, and about Illarra I just don't think he's that good.

I still insist that Madrid's inconsistency due to imbalance is going to hurt them in a long campaign. They'll be dangerous in a one game scenario because of all the individualities and talented players though.

Benzema would be my bet to be benched. The guy is as inconsistent as they come. I'd rip my hair out if Suarez was like that. Carlo has been in the game for too long to actually think that midfield will work. He is probably being forced to start James but James would ideal to come off the bench in games versus teams like us since he tends to push forward as a cm. There were parts of last week's CL game where it looked like Madrid were playing 424 since he was so far up with the attackers. Today once Benzema came off and Illara was put in, they played a 442.

I watched Illara when he played for La Real, he has a lot of potential and can definitely play the Busi/Xabi role but he needs time that RM aren't giving him at all. During an earlier RM game, Khedira was actually subbed on before Illara. The guy who basically told RM to f*ck off while he rode out his contract got to play ahead of the boy who committed his future to them. Carlo just doesn't believe in him.

I watched the highlights, and most of the 8 goals RM scored were due to Deportivo's lousy defence, including the GK. It's not like they will score 8 goals on AM, FCB, Athletic Bilbao or Sevilla. And yet they conceded two goals, while we have a clean sheet. Not saying they didn't play well, but nothing to be astonished at.

Kerrybai

Shocking from Deportivo. Messi can wave goodbye to Balon Dor number 5 now.

2014 stats

Messi 44 games 34 goals + WC final

Ronaldo 38 games 34 goals + CL winner

He can wave it goodbye? you just posted stats showing Messi is having a better statistical year... how is it gone based on one game? Hyperbole everywhere today.

Kerrybai

I would tend to agree. The side-effect of Madrid's style is that they concede more goals than Barca despite having the better individual defenders. It's harder for them to reach a level of consistency in their play compared to Barca. But if you look at the trophy count for Barca in the last 3 years, it is identical to Mourinho's 3 years at Madrid and people specially Barca fans consider his reign a resounding failure. So maybe Barca are not really doing well nowadays despite their playing style.

Until last season, Madrid also had the better individual players overall, or atleast the more versatile players, and this allows them to play different styles against different opponents, which under a good manager, is a huge advantage. (Of course they pretty much fucked themselves over this transfer window, but I wouldn't be surprised if they still win stuff). Look at Ronaldo for example. Talent wise, he's not really on Messi's level. But he scores goals in almost any and every kind of setup. Under Mourinho's 4-2-3-1 when they setup really defensively against the better teams, or with the same 4-2-3-1 against the weaker teams where they played really offensive, he had no problems scoring. Under Ancelotti's possession 4-3-3 against all opponents or in his 4-4-2 against the better teams at the end of last season, he had no problems scoring. Contrast this with Messi whose game depends a lot on interacting with other players. The forwards need to be setup in a certain way for him to flourish. First half against Bosnia in the World Cup, in Sabella's weird 5-3-2 formation, he had his worst 45 minutes at the World Cup. When they switched to 4-3-3 for the rest of the group stage he started scoring the goals. In the knockouts, they switched to 4-4-2 for more defensive solidity and his goals+assists totally dried up.

I would say that Ronaldo relies on his team mates to the same degree that Messi and pretty much any forward does, we have see plenty of games in the past where he disappears when his team's tactics come up short. he struggles just like any player would. The comparison isn't exactly fair either, Messi doesn't just finish our attacks, he's usually the one who starts them too while Ronaldo has less responsibility in that regard.

dakt

I would say that Ronaldo relies on his team mates to the same degree that Messi and pretty much any forward does, we have see plenty of games in the past where he disappears when his team's tactics come up short. he struggles just like any player would. The comparison isn't exactly fair either, Messi doesn't just finish our attacks, he's usually the one who starts them too while Ronaldo has less responsibility in that regard.

messi-solo-goal-vs-real-madrid-o[1].gif

best-goal-messi-o.gif

LionelMessigoal.gif

messi-goal-2-vs-getafe-a.gif

763487603.gif

These are few I quickly picked. I mean, sure, we can compare Ronaldo with Messi by how many goals each have scored....but it's just that. Otherwise, I wouldn't even bother comparing these two.
Playmaking, assists, dribbling, vision, not diving....wow, where do I start!?
Messi's top N goals will always be better then any other's player top N. If for some reason Messi would suddenly disappear, I would still say, THE BEST EVER. Ronaldo or any other living known player
just don't have that ability. Period. Win 20 freaking ballon dors, I don't care. I know art when I see it. And mostly, that feeling when Messi has the ball...the only player that comes this close is Iniesta (oh shit
Barca again, but fuk it...it's the truth).
The biggest compliment that Ronaldo ever got and is getting is that he is constantly being compared to the best footballer in history...and I don't think it's because he deserves it but because it's being pumped by
RM machinery, fans and media. Otherwise it's a different galaxy all together.

Last edited:
I

instinct

Why do people still compare Ronaldo and Messi? Everyone has his own opinion which weighs more than stats and records. Just enjoy their football

gatsu

Great post dakt, and it's not only about goals, but football as a whole, vision, intelligence, instinct, technical qualities, ball touch, and more than anything magic, it's not something you learn but given at birth, Messi is a genius like Iniesta, Maradona, Ronaldinho and some few great legends.

Ronaldo can't be put in the same category.

Richard.H

I only understand girls or diehard Ronaldo fans who will say Ronaldo is better, but any pundit or so called "football analyst" who says it will lose all credibility. You just can't compare the two anymore. Maybe back in 2008-2010, but not anymore.

Samper

Home of Barca Fans