Penal Madrid

F

FlaFCB

It means they care about the cup more now. Bringing catalonia cup into this makes no sense, it's not an official tournament.

It's really simple: no cdr, no treble.

kilian

Sorry, but you are completely wrong. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so...

real-madrid-cibeles-copa-del-rey-2014.jpg

khaled_a_d

Does that mean that Barca&RM care about the cup (ok, we know that Barca do care)?
Or it means that Barca&RM are so much stronger than all opponents (remember the talk about why Messi and CR7 are scoring so much goals today compared with Ronaldinho, Etoo, Rivaldo etc, because Barca and RM are way stronger and richer than opponents in 1995 or 2005) and they can win CDR even with Rafinha, Arda, Denis are similar players?

When Bayern wins a German cup, does it mean that Bayern really, really cares about a cup or that Bayern is miles stronger than all other opponents and they will win it more or less, no matter in which lineup or with how much motivation they play?

I could exaggerate and say: when Barca wins a cup of Catalonia, is it because we care about it soooo much or because other teams are a total crap and we can win with any lineup?
And when you look at a list of winners of a cup of Catalonia, what does that list tell you?
Not too much, for me...

Yes,it means they care about it,you can look at the squad they are playing those games with and you will know that,you see how fans celebrate and you know about it. It is an era where big clubs wants to win it more and more. every trophy counts

JerseyAddict

It is an era where big clubs wants to win it more and more. every trophy counts

exactly. It is a title race and they will invent more and more "competitions" to "upload" titles no for clubs so they can bring out new awards, patches, jerseys and shit.. cause it brings more tv rights contracts, sponzors, labels and shit... every trophy counts = every $ counts

Capitan Puyol

Prior 2009. Last RM CdR 1993, last Barca CdR 1998. And then Barca won it in 2009 and RM in 2011. So RM and Barca didn't care about CdR for atleast one decade !

Does that mean that Barca&RM care about the cup (ok, we know that Barca do care)?
Or it means that Barca&RM are so much stronger than all opponents (remember the talk about why Messi and CR7 are scoring so much goals today compared with Ronaldinho, Etoo, Rivaldo etc, because Barca and RM are way stronger and richer than opponents in 1995 or 2005) and they can win CDR even with Rafinha, Arda, Denis are similar players?

When Bayern wins a German cup, does it mean that Bayern really, really cares about a cup or that Bayern is miles stronger than all other opponents and they will win it more or less, no matter in which lineup or with how much motivation they play?

I could exaggerate and say: when Barca wins a cup of Catalonia, is it because we care about it soooo much or because other teams are a total crap and we can win with any lineup?
And when you look at a list of winners of a cup of Catalonia, what does that list tell you?
Not too much, for me...

The lineups of Atletico - Barca will show otherwise. And we're talking about two clubs with little incentive in the copa this season (Barca is the two times copa champion chasing the liga, and Atletico is not yet assured of making top 4 in la liga which would be a disaster)

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
To suggest Real Madrid tanked the cup is laughable.

They wouldn't have reacted that way or put so much effort in making a comeback if they truly tanked the cup.

If Ancelotti had won the CDR in his last season, he wouldn't have gotten sacked.

Last edited:

BBZ8800

The lineups of Atletico - Barca will show otherwise. And we're talking about two clubs with little incentive in the copa this season (Barca is the two times copa champion chasing the liga, and Atletico is not yet assured of making top 4 in la liga which would be a disaster)

Ok, some opinions from outside of our forum:
http://www.si.com/more-sports/2010/11/11/copa-delrey

Or how midtable teams look at cup matches and how much energy do they invest:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/fa-cup/10548716/Does-the-FA-Cup-still-matter.html

It is not as if nobody cares about it, but it is quite questionable with how much effort low table teams play (in order to save the energy for matches in La liga and not to get relegated) and how much energy big teams use in these matches.

Now, since even midtable and lowtable teams aren't playing with 100%, it is quite easy for top teams to reach semis.
That doesn't mean that Barca and RM care about the trophy, but that majority of team play with 50% or 80%, and 50% by Barca's team is still way more than 50% by Malaga and Barca will always reach semis and a final.

I would currently rate a CDR's title the same as winning Spanish supercup in August.
If you win it=awesome. A new trophy in your cabinet.
But if you'll play bad in real competitions, like a CL and La liga, then trophies won in a supercup and a CDR won't mean anything.

Vilarrubi

Ok, some opinions from outside of our forum:
http://www.si.com/more-sports/2010/11/11/copa-delrey

It's interesting you use this article for "some opinions outside of our forum"..........

You know that Sid Lowe is MADRID based journalist who works on REAL MADRID TV!!!!

At the time this article was written (2010) Real Madrid hadn't won the CDR since 1993....

And it was a year after Barca had just won the treble.

You couldn't find a more bias article to support your argument if you tried.....

Neymessi

I wouldn't look too much into RM losing out on copa. After the amount of injuries they have its better for them to lose out on the worst trophy and fight for the other two. Could be a blessing in disguise for them.

Vilarrubi

I wouldn't look too much into RM losing out on copa. After the amount of injuries they have its better for them to lose out on the worst trophy and fight for the other two. Could be a blessing in disguise for them.

It would have only been two legs against Alaves and that's it until May... They would have loved that.. especially Ronaldo.

Kerrybai

The two extra matches would have taken its toll on this injury-ridden squad. As i have said, i would have prefered to go through, but there are positive aspects to going out.

I get what you are saying but you would have been playing Alaves. I think it would have been a fairly straightforward path to the final without too much stress on the team.

Home of Barca Fans