Pep Guardiola

JDaniels

tumblr_lyf1tmdXXd1qe8s6wo1_500.gif

:pep:

B

barcelonista

Got his tactics wrong. How are you going to score with 7 defensive players, a deep lying central midfielder and a goal keeper on the pitch? What was the point of Adriano upfront? He's a good crosser but we never have bodies in the box with Messi dropping deep (and being a midget anyway). A genuine forward player like Tello caused the most problems for Villarreal in the whole match, despite only being on for 15 minutes. Pep talks a lot about "being bold", but that lineup wasn't bold at all. Cuenca and Tello upfront + Thiago instead of Mascherano in midfield would have been bold.

F

Flavia

Got his tactics wrong. How are you going to score with 7 defensive players, a deep lying central midfielder and a goal keeper on the pitch? What was the point of Adriano upfront? He's a good crosser but we never have bodies in the box with Messi dropping deep (and being a midget anyway). A genuine forward player like Tello caused the most problems for Villarreal in the whole match, despite only being on for 15 minutes. Pep talks a lot about "being bold", but that lineup wasn't bold at all. Cuenca and Tello upfront + Thiago instead of Mascherano in midfield would have been bold.
I agree. He made bad decisions today.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Pep's short comings : small squad & unable to deal with emotions & sentiments

:cesc: was never needed Pep, never. We could have given his minutes to Thiago & Romeu easing Busi into's Xavi's role.

Never play :alves: in a winger role again and Cesc in mid field

Clockwise

Buccaneer
chill out guys!

7 defensive players? Nope man. It's clear I think that sometimes for Pep the post a player is supposed to play in, is just a name. we have used both Dani and Adriano as wingers before and it was useful, specially Adriano. both these players has the ability to be totally attack minded but non of them is actually as good as a real forward. And let's be fair Pep had little choice to have up front.
Messi didn't start dropping deep up until like 10 minutes in the second half when he saw there's little service and nearly no supply from midfield. it was due to Busi, Xavi and Fabregas' sup par game that Messi had to start droping deeper and deeper.
The subs were fresher but also entered the pitch when other players had alarm bells ringing in their heads so they were trying to win the match by even the least margin possible and the subs benefited from that. if they had started there is no guarantee that we would have seen them like that, because there was very limited midfield supply.

Boldness imo is not only playing 9 attackers, What Pep did with the resources he had could be interpreted as boldness as well, depends on your point of view really. Trying to use all your players ,defender or attacker, as a means to attack... but it didn't pay back as he had in mind. And I agree with gingerless, He could have benefited more from using his subs a bit sooner, that was when he was not bold enough IMO, Pep is not a coach to use he subs very soon unless he wants to make a total tactical change but this time he seemed too cautious. it was ,to me, like he waited for any injury to happen, keeping his subs for the necessary subs and then use his remaining substitutions. And even then it was not very illogical.

House of Flies

all your bases belong to us
as for the game, its simple. we had one finisher on the pitch and he got crowded out by villarreal defence. it doesnt matter how many creators you have, if you dont have multiple finishers, you might as well call it a draw.

also our transitions were horrible. possibly the worst transitional play that i have seen barcelona do. is that pep's fault? you be my guest.

Beast

The Observer
chill out guys!

7 defensive players? Nope man. It's clear I think that sometimes for Pep the post a player is supposed to play in, is just a name. we have used both Dani and Adriano as wingers before and it was useful, specially Adriano. both these players has the ability to be totally attack minded but non of them is actually as good as a real forward. And let's be fair Pep had little choice to have up front.
Messi didn't start dropping deep up until like 10 minutes in the second half when he saw there's little service and nearly no supply from midfield. it was due to Busi, Xavi and Fabregas' sup par game that Messi had to start droping deeper and deeper.
The subs were fresher but also entered the pitch when other players had alarm bells ringing in their heads so they were trying to win the match by even the least margin possible and the subs benefited from that. if they had started there is no guarantee that we would have seen them like that, because there was very limited midfield supply.

Boldness imo is not only playing 9 attackers, What Pep did with the resources he had could be interpreted as boldness as well, depends on your point of view really. Trying to use all your players ,defender or attacker, as a means to attack... but it didn't pay back as he had in mind. And I agree with gingerless, He could have benefited more from using his subs a bit sooner, that was when he was not bold enough IMO, Pep is not a coach to use he subs very soon unless he wants to make a total tactical change but this time he seemed too cautious. it was ,to me, like he waited for any injury to happen, keeping his subs for the necessary subs and then use his remaining substitutions. And even then it was not very illogical.

He made a mistake.. even when he used Alves before as a winger in the clasico 2 years ago vs Pellegerini in SB he switched him back to a RB.. it never functioned

the usual thing he should do is trust the youth to play this game instead of the injured ones.. Villarreal is crap we all know that you don't need just to play the first team against them

Maria

I don't understand why he didn't start Thiago(last year the boy had a very good game without Messi and Xavi on the pitch) and Cuenca/Tello. And Beast is right..while Adriano as a winger is very good, Dani has almost always been dissapointing. He is uncapable of stretching the field without making runs from deep.
In this kind of games I believe using more youth players will do us good..especially seeing how Messi, Xavi and Dani are not too bothered latelly. And another mistake was letting Soriano go for only 500 000 euro when he would have been very usefull right now.

Kinlejus

I don't understand why he didn't start Thiago(last year the boy had a very good game without Messi and Xavi on the pitch) and Cuenca/Tello. And Beast is right..while Adriano as a winger is very good, Dani has almost always been dissapointing. He is uncapable of stretching the field without making runs from deep.
In this kind of games I believe using more youth players will do us good..especially seeing how Messi, Xavi and Dani are not too bothered latelly. And another mistake was letting Soriano go for only 500 000 euro when he would have been very usefull right now.
Messi has been playing good football lately...I suppose you would not have written this had he scored yesterday

Clockwise

Buccaneer
He made a mistake.. even when he used Alves before as a winger in the clasico 2 years ago vs Pellegerini in SB he switched him back to a RB.. it never functioned

the usual thing he should do is trust the youth to play this game instead of the injured ones.. Villarreal is crap we all know that you don't need just to play the first team against them

sensible comment, it is...

Birdy

yep!
exactly that..
Dani is always poor in an advanced role..
Why he did not stat at least thiago, cuenca and tello?
why he didnot play 3-4-3 like the first game and use dani at the back?

Poor performance from Pep..

Home of Barca Fans