Pep Guardiola

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, English is Germanic language and it's really not that hard to learn.
Although, they do speak slightly different German in Bavaria than that learned in most schools.

Waschdel

Well, English is Germanic language and it's really not that hard to learn.
Although, they do speak slightly different German in Bavaria than that learned in most schools.

Hehe slightly different German :lol: (people form northern parts of Germany hardly understand the dialect that is spoken in rural bavaria)
There is a difference to speak German on an acceptable level or being able to answer questions in press-conferences and motivate a football team.
Off course most Germans understand English and I am sure that they´ll speak some Spanish in the team as well (Martinez, Gomez and the brazilians). Maybe I am wrong but I think :pep: is an ambitious character that has high demands on himself. Therefore I am relatively sure that he´ll speak quite good German when he starts to work here. It is a part of his preparation for the new job and he is in the comfortable situation of having half a year to prepare.

loozy

It is a common misconception that all Germans speak English, let alone good or excellent English. However, I reckon that Guardiola will speak English at first. The players will understand him, so there should be no problem.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
German might be relatively close to English but it's very far from Spanish. Swedish is even closer to German than English but I still find it difficult.

Stric

At this stage in language development, it doesn't really make any difference whether German and English belong to the same family, Germanic languages, that is. They're extremely different. In the case of English and German, knowing one doesn't help much with learning the other. At least not nearly as much as it does in the case of Romance languages.

N

Noldorin

Gramatically, English still betrays a lot of its common heritage with German, although it has simplified somewhat more than German over time. Certainly it is closer to the other Germanic languages than the Romance tongues in this respect. Most of the very common words in English are also quite similar to their German or Dutch equivalents, though almost all advanced vocabulary of English is Old French/Latin in origin (and sometimes ultimately Greek). I personally find a lot of parallels between English and Spanish vocabulary, rather more than between French, perhaps because Spanish has remained truer to the original vulgar Latin while French has diverged greatly since the Normans introduced their language here some thousand years ago!

Gosh, I just realised this is a thread about Pep Guardiola. Where's the linguistics forum? :)

Home of Barca Fans