Pep Guardiola

Huckleberry

The mistake was a year before, when Pep thought, that he could make a teamworking primus inter pares out of a selfish diva.

Tomchin

He is Our fucking Boss ! Full faith and trust on him !
I absolutely adore Pep, but that doesn't mean that he doesn't make mistakes. Pep himself already acknowledged that he probably made mistakes in the whole Ibra-saga.

I've been against the Eto'o-Ibra swap since the first day (if we wanted to get rid of Eto'o so desperately last summer, we should have rescinded Eto'o's contract and paid the 50M that Valencia wanted for Villa), but yeah, it is what it is.

Let's hope that Pep will have learned from this fiasco, and that it will help him to grow as a manager.

Over the past few days, Pep has been hugely criticized for his huge spending over the last 3 years. Is the criticism correct, or not? Let's quickly summarize his transfers over the last 3 years:

2008/09
Out: 88M
In: 49.5M
Total: 38.5M

2009/10
Out: 92.5M + Samuel Eto'o
In: 2M
Total: 90.5M + Samuel Eto'o

2010/11
Out: 71.5M
In: 39M
Total: 32.5M

2011/12
Out: ?
In: 24M (if Milan buy him)

So basically, over the past 3 years, we've spent on average 54M each summer (+ 1/3th of Samuel Eto'o :lol: ). I can't be bothered to lookup the stats now, but how much did we spend on average under Rijkaard? Anyway, 60M each summer (54M + 20M/3), that's an acceptable figure. It's 10M more than our estimated transfer-budget (50M), but still.

---

However, if we look at the transfers separately, there's some reason for concern.

2008/09:

Keita: 16.2M
Pique: 7M
Pinto: 0.5M
Caceres: 16.5M
Alves: 35M
Hleb: 17M
Henrique: 10M

Well-spent: 58.7M
Badly-spent: 43.5M

2009/10:

Maxwell: 5M
Keirrison: 16M
Ibra: 49M + Samuel Eto'o
Chygrinski: 25M

Well-spent: 5M
Badly-spent: 90M + Samuel Eto'o

2010/11:

Villa: 40M
Adriano: 9.5M
Mascherano: 22M

Well-spent: 71.5M (hopefully)
badly-spent: 0M (hopefully)

So what do you think about Pep's transfer-policy? Is there reason for concern? Will it hurt the club in the long term?

desoe

Do we really know which of these transfers are Pep's ones and which are not?

Because this is not England's managerial system mate, I guess you know this. For example, I really don't think that Keirrison or Henrique could be put in Pep's bag. There was something very wrong about these moves and I hope it'll be cleared out some day.

And we know that he wanted Chygro, but is it really his fault that he got SO MUCH overpriced? I mean, he was not holding the talks with Shakhtar, Txiki did. And if they managed to get these fucking 25 millions for him, then what exactly Txiki was thinking during the negotiations? If he was a 8-10-12 mil. mistake, then nobody would really give a damn. But a 25 mil. mistake - this really hurts.

Last edited:

Tomchin

Do we really know which of these transfers are Pep's ones and which are not?

Because this is not England's managerial system mate, I guess you know this. For example, I really don't think that Keirrison or Henrique could be put in Pep's bag. There was something very wrong about these moves and I hope it'll be cleared out some day.
I find it extremely hard to believe that those signings were NOT requested by Pep. What's the benefit for Txiki/Zubi to buy a player that Pep doesn't want?

One could argue that the Board wanted to buy Keirrison and Henrique for marketing purposes (against the will of Pep); but those 2 players don't have any important marketing-potential whatsoever (at least not atm), so that doesn't make sense either.

And if they managed to get these fucking 25 millions for him, then what exactly Txiki was thinking during the negotiations? If he was a 8-10-12 mil. mistake, then nobody would really give a damn. But a 25 mil. mistake - this really hurts.
The same like Rosell and Zubi etc. were thinking yesterday? The circumstances of the Chygrinski transfer were quite comparable to the Zlatan-transfer (in the opposite way). In both situations, the end of the transfer-window was very close. And last year, we desperately wanted to buy (I've no idea why, 'cause I've never rated Chygrinski), and yesterday we desperately wanted to sell.

Still, it's extremely sour that we sold Zlatan (one of the top 5 strikers in the world; although not suitable to the Barca-system), for less money than Chygrinski. Makes me sick really.

F

fried chicken

The same like Rosell and Zubi etc. were thinking yesterday? The circumstances of the Chygrinski transfer were quite comparable to the Zlatan-transfer (in the opposite way). In both situations, the end of the transfer-window was very close. And last year, we desperately wanted to buy (I've no idea why, 'cause I've never rated Chygrinski), and yesterday we desperately wanted to sell.

Still, it's extremely sour that we sold Zlatan (one of the top 5 strikers in the world; although not suitable to the Barca-system), for less money than Chygrinski. Makes me sick really.
Ibra top 5 striker?? I'd prefer Villa, Torres, Rooney, Drogba, Eto'o, Milito, Forlan all ahead of him.
According to the Sid Lowe article last summer Pep wanted Villa but also wanted Eto'o out more. But the only way the get rid of Eto'o was to include Ibra in the deal, so fingers should be pointed at the previous board, which despite the success wasted a lot of money, like renewing Messi and Xavi contract twice in 2 years. Also apparently under Ibra's contract there was a clause saying that if Barca sold him they have to pay his years wages, hence explaining this loan deal to get out of this clause. So the previous board in more to blame than the new board.

thezone

Some thoughts

Laporta did a great job with cleaning up Barca when he came in. The economy suddenly started getting black numbers in the books.
However the last year the economy went back to maybe even a worse state than before but now we seem to close our eyes for it.
The big loans were never payed back, instead Laporta invested in real estate just before the crash in Spain, yes that should be lost money today. ( I could be wrong)
Pep was a bright light coming into the club after F-Face Rijkaard. However Pep have wasted a lot of money on deals. Getting players for huge amounts and not even letting them get a single chance.

Now with the Zlatangate it has become more obvious of the lack in man management at Barca. We send our players out to whine in the press to get players from other clubs (Mascherano and Fabregas) and then we complain at Mino Raiolas style.

Puyol been asked about Pep and Ibra a couple of times now and its pretty clear Puyol is not the biggest fan of Pep.
I think Puyol knows that he is on his way out and Pep is trying to find substitutes for him. However there is an other player that is on his way out for Pep but who is not really that comfortable with it and thats Xavi.
Xavi pushed Pep out of Barca and now Pep will push Xavi out of Barca. Fabrigas is the replacement for Xavi.

When Laporta and Rosell took over Barca they started competing with each other about taking most space in the club. It was pretty clear that we fans divided them up into two main good things with them.
Laporta was the economy guy and Rosell the player contact / trading guy.
Laporta failed with the economy in the end
Will Rosell fail with the player transfers or will there be a battle between him and Pep?

and finally
Pep been very afraid of the conflict in the zlatangate and as one guy commented in a football show i saw:
Mourinho will rip Pep to pieces if its true that Pep cant handle conflicts and the media.

Pep is a Barca legend but he could be in for a rough ride considering that these things are more or less happening at the same time.
Especially i think the arrival of Mourinho to Madrid this year is a really bad timing for Pep.

Hopefully Pep will prove himself and be on the top of these things in the end of the season.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Some thoughts

Puyol been asked about Pep and Ibra a couple of times now and its pretty clear Puyol is not the biggest fan of Pep.
I think Puyol knows that he is on his way out and Pep is trying to find substitutes for him. However there is an other player that is on his way out for Pep but who is not really that comfortable with it and thats Xavi.
Xavi pushed Pep out of Barca and now Pep will push Xavi out of Barca. Fabrigas is the replacement for Xavi.

There seems to be a real dearth of facts in a lot of what you put out there, to be fair...Not saying these conclusions are incorrect but does seem to suggest a lot of innuendo

In particular, this bit from you had me curious...Where did you draw these conclusions from?

silky_soccer

Fireman Sam
Bullshit, What CB's have we bought since Pique? (not including Chyggy now) none, Puyol is a vital part of the squad, the only CBs other than Pique, Puyol, Milito is Fontas, Muniesa, Bartra Sergi Roberto, Yup Puyol is on his way out alright.

and because we want Cesc, Xavi is on his way out? no.

Does that mean Busquets is on his way out because we bought mascherano? or Maxwell because of adriano? its called depth ffs.

Unbelieveable, people spend weeks complaining about how thin the squad is, then when another quality player is being brougt in, it means Pep is intentionally pusing Xavi out of the squad because Xavi replaced him?

Last edited:

Tomchin

Euhm, any proof to back up those claims?

thezone

Bullshit, What CB's have we bought since Pique? (not including Chyggy now) none, Puyol is a vital part of the squad, the only CBs other than Pique, Puyol, Milito is Fontas, Muniesa, Bartra Sergi Roberto, Yup Puyol is on his way out alright.

and because we want Cesc, Xavi is on his way out? no.

Does that mean Busquets is on his way out because we bought mascherano? or Maxwell because of adriano? its called depth ffs.

Unbelieveable, people spend weeks complaining about how thin the squad is, then when another quality player is being brougt in, it means Pep is intentionally pusing Xavi out of the squad because Xavi replaced him?

LOL
is the glass half full or half empty

CBs we got in (full backs)
2010/2011: Adriano 8.5M can play CB also but is a full back
2009/2010: Dmytro Chygrynskiy 22.5M (Maxwell 4M)
2008/2009: Gerard Piqué 4.5M, Martín Cáceres 14.8M, Henrique 7.2M (Dani Alves 37.4M)

I'm not gona say anything, but interesting that Pique is the cheapest we bought in excluding the B team players that have been moved up

Puyol is 32 and resigned from the national team once. His contract with Barca was until June this summer but was prolonged in end of october last year until 2013. He will stay those years but shouldn't feel safe for his position (competition for a spot in the starting eleven is good you know). Puyol started as a full back in barca, i think he proved against Man U he is still very good in that position.

Xavi is 30 and still got 4 years at least if you ask me. He has been interested in a move to England before and will not end his career in Barca but im not that sure of when he is prepared to go.

Fabregas is the natural person to take over after Xavi; Fabregas is very young still and captain in Arsenal.

W

woobie

Why would you think that Xavi won't end his career at Barcelona?

Cule Angles

Visca el filòsof!
A manager preparing for the future and bolstering the squad is not some sort of machiavellian plot to get rid of players he doesn't like. Good God, I don't even know why I'm replying to this rubbish but it's safe to say that until Xavi is no longer good enough to do the job he does for Barça he has a place in any team managed by Pep Guardiola, in fact I'd put money on Xavi still being at the club when Pep leaves the manager's role.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
foto_448773_CAS.jpg

Picture from the Manager Forum. Pep only one not wearing a suit.

thezone

Why would you think that Xavi won't end his career at Barcelona?

because he is good enough to be able to choose team, country and team before he finish his career.

Not all people like to work at the same place their whole life.

W

woobie

He doesn't seem to have given much indication that he's dying to go anywhere else, though -- unless I've missed interviews somewhere?

Home of Barca Fans