Pep Guardiola

KingLeo10

Paisley, Mourinho, Clough, Michels, Sacchi.
What argument does Saachi have over Pep lol? Like Pep's Barca, he had one of the most loaded teams ever assembled, and although he was truly innovative, his methods didn't last too long before he was figured out.

Michels, Paisley, Clough are debatable. Pep is clearly superior to Mourinho at this point.

jamrock

No shot Jose is a better coach that pep, not taking anything away from what he did with Porto & the league title with Madrid was also very impressive.

But the inter CL, which is that really puts him over the top, he needed the gods to send a volcano in order to win it, that came at the san siro all the Barcelona players ran less than their season average, and we all know how important pressing is to any pep team, that 14 hour bus journey killed us.

I give him credit for losing 1-0 with 10 men but that again was some kinda miracle, the Roman gods was on inters side heavy in that round.

Can't kill pep for playing with great players that rate sacchi ahead of him.

Michels is the only one I'd say could go over pep, the other two debatably.

Temptation

What argument does Saachi have over Pep lol? Like Pep's Barca, he had one of the most loaded teams ever assembled, and although he was truly innovative, his methods didn't last too long before he was figured out.

Michels, Paisley, Clough are debatable. Pep is clearly superior to Mourinho at this point.
At this point yeah but Mourinho's achievements at Porto and Inter are way more impressive than anything Pep has ever done. That's a fact. Mourinho has a better CV. Has gone to clubs with varying situations and budgets. Pep's CV reads like a journey which is almost too convenient.

KingLeo10

At this point yeah but Mourinho's achievements at Porto and Inter are way more impressive than anything Pep has ever done. That's a fact. Mourinho has a better CV. Has gone to clubs with varying situations and budgets. Pep's CV reads like a journey which is almost too convenient.
Mourinho is a victim of his own ego. His post 2014 stints have hurt him quite a bit - man is a has been in CL and other premier competition for nearly a decade now. Also been managing some clown clubs like Spurs in the meantime.

If Mourinho retired in 2014 or so with his mystique/aura still mostly intact, it's a different story.

Temptation

Mourinho is a victim of his own ego. His post 2014 stints have hurt him quite a bit - man is a has been in CL and other premier competition for nearly a decade now. Also been managing some clown clubs like Spurs in the meantime.

If Mourinho retired in 2014 or so with his mystique/aura still mostly intact, it's a different story.
Since he has taken on so many challenging jobs we have to cut him some slack. In a manager's legacy there can be bad times towards the end but that's not what defines them. His CV is still insane. Still United's best manager since Fergie and got Roma their first(and nearly second European trophy) spending 6 mil last summer. Mourinho peaked higher than Pep and has had more than enough longevity. Also, if we go on abstract impact, Jose has one of the biggest and most followed personalities in the sport. For a manager, personality matters a lot.

I understand the hatred Barca fans have due to his infamous Cruyff quote insulting the guy: "He still has to teach me how to lose a European Final 4-nil" but come on now!

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Somehow Mourinho failing to win with stacked teams is never held against him lol.

Pep surpassed him a while ago. Would be overwhelmingly clear if you asked other fanbases too.

jamrock

He gets to build stack teams over & over because he's earned it, if you put Jose & city he would win half as much and he out after 2/3 seasons because he burnt all bridges.

Many aspects that goes into being a top manager, pep doesn't lack in any of those areas.

Conti
Jose and so many more can't cut it at the top for long, they always find a way to self destruct.

It is intelectually dishonest from you guys to put words I never said in my mouth.

I never said Pep is bad or lousy manager, no. He is among finest. If I seem like Pep hater to you then you have wrong idea - I only claim he is no GOAT.

When you take into consideration what he did + with what he did it = it's not that impressive.

When you have best (Barca) and most expensive ($ity) teams then Trophyz in droves are normality, not breathtaking endevours.

I hate Mou (Egomaniac and selfadorer, bastard that poked in the eye) but what he did with Porto and Inter is out of chart managerial result.

Last edited:

Rory

Jose gets massively disrespected in conversations about who is greatest. What he did at Porto is mind blowing. League, Uefa Cup and copa del rey equivalent and supercup quadruple in 02/03. Then league and champions league double.

Moves on to Chelsea. Instantly brings success smashing the competition setting all kinds of records. Beats Arsenal invincibles to the league title as well as SAFs Man utd.

Then the Inter treble, crazy achievement considering the competition in the UCL. Real madrid didn't win enough. However, he broke the league winning streak by us (arguably greatest team ever) by setting lots of new records in the process. Won 3 trophies at United despite them recruiting like they actively wanted to bring in the worst players possible. Then won a trophy with Roma, albeit not the best trophy to win, before taking them to a final.

Pep is ahead by now but it's not some easy and obvious decision when you look into the detail of things.

KingLeo10

Prime Jose Mourinho (03-10) is one of my favorite managers ever, from a charisma standpoint.

We broke him in 10-11 with that 5-0 and RM did the rest.

Spalletti is so underrated!

He took Udinese when they barely survived in the league, brought them into top 6 and UEFA Cup. Then into Coppa Italia Semis and CL (where he managed to have same number of points like 2. team in the Group but goal difference fucked them)! Imagine that. Outstanding!

Than with Roma was 2., won Coppas, won Supercoppas, played QF in CL, broke Records with 11 victories, Revolutionised the game, played without Attacker, had best defence in CL for a long time, ... splendid!

Now he won Serie A with weak Napoli squad, almost reaching CL Semis, ... Huge!

In my eyes he is nothing short of a Miracle maker... who do you know did stuff like these?

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Nothing to do with it
It's the resources that allow Pep to make 6 stacked teams in space of a decade that reeks. Rotten methods

How's that different from what Abramovich did for Mourinho? Rotten methods for sure, but it's not like Mourinho didn't enjoy some of the same perks.

It's just that his personality didn't allow for him to stick around for as long and then he's failed to adapt his tactics too.

Mourinho did spend 360m on players in a three year span at Chelsea. Adjusted for inflation that's around 560m.

Both of them have enjoyed the perks of being bankrolled by questionable sources. No other club in England could compare to Chelsea when Abramovich acquired them until City was acquired in 2008ish.

Last edited:

Temptation

Prime Jose Mourinho (03-10) is one of my favorite managers ever, from a charisma standpoint.

We broke him in 10-11 with that 5-0 and RM did the rest.

Let's not reduce him to just charisma and persona.

One of the greatest tacticians ever and his man management is pretty great too. Every big manager except Klopp falls out with certain players all the time(probably why Klopp is a bit too nice and not as much of a serial winner as Pep and Mou).

Home of Barca Fans