Pep Guardiola

Cruijffista

SOY ANTIMADRIDISTA
Interesting beliefs. I'm not so sure I share them. I've seen no proof whatsoever of any of it other than the very warm personal relations between Guardiola and Bielsa.

There are a lot of reasons why one might not want the head coaching job at Barcelona: it's a very high pressure job with extremely high expectations that come along with it. Look at what 4 years in the job did to Guardiola. There are also issues like PR and, well, have YOU ever watched a Bielsa press conference? I have and he's not the very best public speaker.

Bielsa IS a very good coach and he's worked wonders with Athletic -- who, let us not forget, are still active in three competitions -- and he seems comfortable there and he's absolutely loved there (this from the several Athletic socios I know and the way people flock to him after practices - Athletic's practices are all open). Bielsa, it seems to me, does better with national teams than he does with clubs and Athletic is far closer to a NT than Barcelona is, given the makeup of the club. There's also the fact that this year's Athletic is a work in progress. They can only get better if he stays, so he may well see his work as unfinished. And he may see Athletic as a challenge: getting a team of guys chosen from a small region in northern Spain to two cup finals is a pretty impressive achievement.

I've watched Bilbao all year long and fully convinced he can come in and improve the club. I could care less about how he speaks at a press conference as long as the performance on the pitch is stellar.

Here's a great article on him:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/mar/07/marcelo-bielsa-athletic-bilbao-manchester-united

I think he's the perfect choice. I love how he's used Javi Martinez in a central defending role this season. I love the way they attack.

Puyol the wall

sent-up-the-bomb
If he comes then maybe he will bring Martinez with him but Guardiola still for me until he officially leaves the club we must not go beyond him,he is the best for us.

Pepe Silvia

2 finals for Bielsa's team this season says a lot.

Having Guardiola's admiration says even more.

Mildly assuring for the inevitable.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
I tend to agree with Woobie. I LOVE Bielsa, but he's not a political type. Pep minds his own business, Bielsa not so much. Between the constant media pressure, the budget and having to put up with Rosell's salesman act Bielsa could be unpredictable. One reason he's always been more comfortable with national teams, the room to tinker and the flexibility, as opposed to being part of a marketing machine.

If Pep is really going, all jokes aside I suspect Rosell will be looking to Brazil.

M

mitkoa7x

Unless Guardiola changes his mind last minute, Barcelona will on Friday announce the coach will leave the club. [catalunya radio]

Raul (Schalke, ex-Real Madrid): "Future of Guardiola? Football needs Guardiola and he'll make the best decision." [via as marca]

:cry:

Alonso

if he leaves , I have 2 names in mind, Wenger and Bielsa. I think both could do the job. Well they wouldn't be exactly Pep but they'd be the next thing.

Wenger is very good but at Arsenal he tried too much to be a manager which he failed.
That's why he din't get any trophies for so much time, but if he would come at us he would already have so much quality in the team and he'd know that the key players can't be bought by other teams like it happened at Arsenal when he watched helplessly how players like Cesc, Henry, Nasri and so on left for better clubs.
Look at Arsenal not many quality players nowdays but still manages to get a place in UCL and got to trash teams like Liverpool, Tottenham, Chelsea and got a win over City also who spent so much more money on players lol

I think Wenger would be the best choise if Pep leaves. Bielsa also could be a good choise, but Wenger would be better.

Last edited:
B

beautifulgame

if he leaves , I have 2 names in mind, Wenger and Bielsa. I think both could do the job. Well they wouldn't be exactly Pep but they'd be the next thing.

Wenger is very good but at Arsenal he tried too much to be a manager which he failed.
That's why he din't get any trophies for so much time, but if he would come at us he would already have so much quality in the team and he'd know that the key players can't be bought by other teams like it happened at Arsenal when he watched helplessly how players like Cesc, Henry, Nasri and so on left for better clubs.
Look at Arsenal not many quality players nowdays but still manages to get a place in UCL and got to trash teams like Liverpool, Tottenham, Chelsea and got a win over City also who spent so much more money on players lol

I think Wenger would be the best choise if Pep leaves. Bielsa also could be a good choise, but Wenger would be better.

View attachment 5348

go now before the others find you.

M

mitkoa7x

Wenger? :lol::lol::lol:

Good thing you have a Larsson avatar...

so he is leaving ? :(

Everything points to it man :cry:

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
The bitter truth about sport is that there will be constant coming and going. That's the pain of being a fan, being loyal to the shirt itself and not to individual personalities. If this is it for Pep I'm definitely shocked, but I understand. If this ends up being some mindgame or something, so be it, don't be surprised when it happens for real.

A lot of you come from the English football tradition where managers tend to stay on forever. There's a lot of reasons for that, but it rarely translates to other leagues. Even in the EPL today, the only real example of a manager staying on through the evolution of the game successfully is Ferguson. The imitations such as Wenger have often done more harm than good. Sport is always evolving, especially this game where there is so much happening at once.

Guardiola has a connection to this club like no other. A lifelong fan, a product of a specific type of football that has been the club's identity at least since the 90's, he was the best Catalan representative on a team built around Spaniards and Basques, and later foreigners, back when fans weren't spoiled with la masia producing half the team. His management career has been unreal so far. But maybe that's why he doesn't to push it. Maybe he's burnt out; we don't know everything. As a Rosell skeptic I suspect there's tension but I don't know anything for certain. Maybe he just feels like he needs to prove himself elsewhere, to show his ideals can transfer to other leagues on teams that don't have the double-benefit of a home produced golden generation and an unlimited budget. It's more respectable than refusing to evolve the way Wenger has.

The thought of what comes next is scary because, who will replace him? I don't blame Lucho for Roma's failings, he's been stubborn but that's been an uphill battle all season and it could have been a lot worse. But is he ready or does he want to prove himself first? Who else is qualified right now who truly understands the club culture? The other members of the dream team have been coaching failures - Koeman, Stotchikov, Bakero. Laudrup hasn't flopped per se but he's proven nothing and is a traitor who should have no part in this club's future.

But this is the reality. Managers come and go, it's a part of the game. Guilt-tripping Pep to stay would be a terrible mistake if this is what he feels is right. Pep's instincts have been mostly right so far, we need to trust him. If he needs a break, feels he can only evolve in a new enviornment, or can't work with the guys above him, then it's for the best.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans