Philippe Coutinho

behindbrowneyes

Like it or not, Coutinho always has been a name in Koeman's plannings. Before he got injured, he had his role in his team and I think him not being in the squad is more a result of convalescence. If I had to choose who to keep out of Pjanic, Umtiti and Coutinho, I'd keep Coutinho.

Rumours of him costing another 20M if he plays 10 more games for the club aren't true btw. 15M of that are already paid as the rule was 5M for every 25 games until he reaches 100 games for the club.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
He's staying it seems & Koeman is counting on him. Realistically, where does he play? I doubt he can be a CM in a 4-3-3. Definitely can't be a LW. Only options are LM or CAM in a 4-2-3-1.

BBZ8800

He's staying it seems & Koeman is counting on him. Realistically, where does he play? I doubt he can be a CM in a 4-3-3. Definitely can't be a LW. Only options are LM or CAM in a 4-2-3-1.

He can be a LW in 4231.
And against weaker teams he could play as Iniesta in 433.

We survived with Rafinha as a CM, so we could survive with Coutinho.

About him being weaker in defense in 433, now it's different because 2-3 years ago we played with 9 players because Messi and Suarez were walking in attack.
Those two paired with ligh Cou in midfield (like on Anfield) and you have 7 men in defense, where two of them are slow Raki, slow Busi, questionable Roberto and Alba and bad Pique and Lenglet.

So, imo, without Messi and Suarez in attack and with a better defense behind him, he could play as a CM in 433.
But that would mean that Busi, Frenkie or Pedri would need to be dropped, which will never happen, since Busquets is unbenchable.

JamDav1982

They would sell him could but seems unlikely.

If he stays he is still far better players than likes of Puig and at Liverpool was LW/AM and 8 so would imagine any of the three would be used in but not relied upon heavily.

Used to rest Puig and Busquets would be my guess.

Birdy

That season was an outlier, Coutinho didn't finish higher than 4th with Liverpool except that one time.

That's cheap revisionism, mate.
Liverpool that season were CL finalists, far from a team that settles for 4-7 places

Not only did he almost won the league under Rodgers.
But he was undisputed starter in the Liverpool that was about to make it to the CL final.
Yes VVD brought stability, but if Cou had stayed put, he would be starting the CL final ahead of Milner.

Birdy

He can be a LW in 4231.
And against weaker teams he could play as Iniesta in 433.

This!
The system that better suits him is the 4-2-3-1
He is not effective as a winger in a 4-3-3, but he can rotate with Pedri in the left CAM role.

It's a problem that he wants to occupy the same spaces as Depay.

But it's not justifiable to start Griezzy ahead of him, when the latter offers so little in attack

khaled_a_d

Coutinho isn't a starter here under almost any formation.
The trio of Pedri/FDJ/Busquets has their places cemented deservingly under any formation, whether it is 433, 4231, 352 or 343.
After that you have Fati and Depay unquestionably ahead of him in attack as either CF/LW/SS
That leaves a place for a RW, which is the worst position for Coutinho, and both Dembele and Griezmann are far better fit there.
The only other position he stands a chance is if we play 352 with FDJ as Libro and Fati & Depay as attackers, in such case he might fit as 3rd midfielder, even then I am not sure he is the right fit with Depay and Fati. I would actually take Roberto/Puig ahead of him.

And he is just super expensive back up, versatile and could be useful but super expensive.
Him staying or leaving will only depend on other clubs willing to take his salary, Koeman can want him to stay all he wants but Laporta priority has been clear and it is to clear the financial mess.

Birdy

Coutinho isn't a starter here under almost any formation.
The trio of Pedri/FDJ/Busquets has their places cemented deservingly under any formation, whether it is 433, 4231, 352 or 343.
After that you have Fati and Depay unquestionably ahead of him in attack as either CF/LW/SS
That leaves a place for a RW, which is the worst position for Coutinho, and both Dembele and Griezmann are far better fit there.
The only other position he stands a chance is if we play 352 with FDJ as Libro and Fati & Depay as attackers, in such case he might fit as 3rd midfielder, even then I am not sure he is the right fit with Depay and Fati. I would actually take Roberto/Puig ahead of him.

And he is just super expensive back up, versatile and could be useful but super expensive.
Him staying or leaving will only depend on other clubs willing to take his salary, Koeman can want him to stay all he wants but Laporta priority has been clear and it is to clear the financial mess.

Sure, a possible Depay-Fati-Dembele as a trio are ahead of him I agree.

But he can either rotate Depay or rotate Pedri, we have no decent sub for Pedri atm. He can't play again 70 games per season.
If he has that role, he can get as many or more minutes than the ones he got from Sept to Jan last season

About being expensive, maybe we can negotiate a cut with him, but others are more pressing financial needs atm

khaled_a_d

But he can either rotate Depay or rotate Pedri, we have no decent sub for Pedri atm. He can't play again 70 games per season.
If he has that role, he can get as many or more minutes than the ones he got from Sept to Jan last season

About being expensive, maybe we can negotiate a cut with him, but others are more pressing financial needs atm

Yes, he can be a useful rotation, even better than that if he proves believers right, or worse if he believes doubters to be correct.
But coming from 2 knees surgeries at the age of 29, I don't think the club is willing to take the risk.
If he accepts a pay cut he will be welcomed to stay, if we get an offer we will gladly allow him to leave. If neither we will be forced to let him stay and smart thing is to try to use him.
So, pure business when it comes to him. Sad situation for both the player and the club

Home of Barca Fans