Premier League 2013/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

S7_MUFC

Right now, their team is on par with rm and barça. Not a lot of big names, but as a team, they're fantastic. I think atletico would beat arsenal if they met.
but what makes Arsenal so inferior to Athletico? They've been just as good in Europe and they have more big name players..there are no parameters to judge which team is better currently so, It's ridiculous to suggest EPL is poor because Arsenal have similar points total as Real(ie. Less points than Athletico)..........

F

Flavia

but what makes Arsenal so inferior to Athletico? They've been just as good in Europe and they have more big name players..there are no parameters to judge which team is better currently so, It's ridiculous to suggest EPL is poor because Arsenal have similar points total as Real(ie. Less points than Athletico)..........
It is ridiculous, I agree. But it's also ridiculous to say only the top 3 teams in la liga are good, or that they are clueless defensive. Man utd knows it well. Athletic Bilbao(not Atletico de madrid) isnt a top 3 team, for instance. Most spanish players do well in the epl for a reason.

My opinion is based on what I've seen from both teams. Right now, I think Atletico would win, but it'd probably be close.

Superfly

Banned
Arsenal are definitely not as inferior to Atletico as some people here would like them to be. They'd give Atletico/Real/Barcelona a much tougher game than most teams up there . The way people underestimate them here you'd think it was the same Arsenal of years ago with crap and mentally weak players like Denilson, Eboue, Clichy, Arshavin, Djourou etc.

They're a top side with one of the best CB partnerships out there, a world class midfield that includes the best #10 in Europe, and efficient forwards. Not a side to take lightly.

S7_MUFC

It is ridiculous, I agree. But it's also ridiculous to say only the top 3 teams in la liga are good, or that they are clueless defensive. Man utd knows it well. Athletic Bilbao(not Atletico de madrid) isnt a top 3 team, for instance. Most spanish players do well in the epl for a reason.

My opinion is based on what I've seen from both teams. Right now. I think Atletico would win, but it'd probably be close.

Athletic were amazing that season but most of their big name players were snapped up by better teams so now they are not as good....that's the main problem with mid table La Liga teams...they cannot retain talent and replace those players with inferior players so, their quality will gradually deteriorate and emergence of Athletico as top team will only hamper the league because there is only 1 Champions league spot to fight for and teams aren't going to spend massive amount of money in hope finishing in top 4.......Although we only scored 1 goal in 2 games against Sociedad..they were one of the poorest teams we've faced this season and the lack of quality was obvious......

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Dortmund are better than Atletico and Arsenal fared fine vs them...

Dortmund aren't really that strong this season, hate to say it. 3rd in Bundesliga behind the Leverkusen side that just went down 9-0 to United on aggregate. And yes I know, saying that one point alone isn't enough to discredit Dortmund as a side but it's easy to see that they aren't as capable of taking down the elites as they were last season.

Atletico are capable of beating Arsenal, it's a pretty close contest though. And Semi, you pointed out that Arsenal would have the stronger midfield game, and you were correct, but that isn't where it would actually be won. Atletico made Barcelona's best midfield seem sparkless despite them being in control, with the added factor of Messi. That makes me fairly sure that even if Arsenal control the midfield, they won't be able to get past them and create attacks without immense difficulty.

As for the La liga criticism, it's well warranted but over the top. Athletic this season are also quite impressive and gaining form, Villareal even more so; neither are title contenders, but easily capable of providing a challenge to their EPL counterparts. It'll be a while before La liga is on the level of BPL in terms of competitiveness, but that's really down to the style of the league being much more tactical rather than unpredictable, plus the midtable sides are only just starting to grow.

suckabov

Lemon curry?
Dortmund aren't really that strong this season, hate to say it. 3rd in Bundesliga behind the Leverkusen side that just went down 9-0 to United on aggregate. And yes I know, saying that one point alone isn't enough to discredit Dortmund as a side but it's easy to see that they aren't as capable of taking down the elites as they were last season.

Dortmund's struggling is mainly linked to huge injury problems. With Gündogan and Subotic two of their key players are out for large parts of the season, while players like Schmelzer, Hummels and Kehl have each been out for several weeks. They aren't faring worse than in other seasons when they won the title, in fact they are doing quite well considering that for some time, most of their starting XI was injured. Their last two defeats in the Bundesliga and Bayern's form just make it seem worse than it is.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Dortmund's struggling is mainly linked to huge injury problems. With Gündogan and Subotic two of their key players are out for large parts of the season, while players like Schmelzer, Hummels and Kehl have each been out for several weeks. They aren't faring worse than in other seasons when they won the title, in fact they are doing quite well considering that for some time, most of their starting XI was injured.

That's why the losses are excusable and they aren't at their best. If they were, they'd probably breeze through their CL group in top position.

S7_MUFC

That's why the losses are excusable and they aren't at their best. If they were, they'd probably breeze through their CL group in top position.
Most fans on this forum think that the strength of the first XI is the only thing that matters and they take strength of squad for granted....Arsenal were also without Walcott and Carzola for significant amount of games but they managed to grind out results....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans