Quique Setien

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead
I really enjoyed the way we played yesterday, when I saw the line-up I thought, this is going to be horror show, but even with these players we managed to play fast and attractive football and create chances. If we play like that in majority of our away games that would be huge improvement. I think Semedo is also playing better under Setien, does better under pressure and contributes to attack more.

Last edited:

Raketa10

Some of you wanted Suarez out of the squad and now we can't score shit without him. Many times I also wanted him out but boy I was wrong! Apart from Suarez who else is missing??? Dembele? No he was also injured under Valverde. So Setien is only short for ONE important player and because of that now all of a sudden we have problems with shortage of players while under Valverde we were claiming we had more than decent squad. Setien is also responsible for letting Perez go while it would be more than useful to have him in our squad right now. I am not saying Valverde should have stayed and I was 100% for sacking him I am just saying we have double standards now and I don't like that.

There is also one more thing, so far under Setien we won only against shitty opponents and many people here are all of a sudden delighted with our way of playing?!?! I mean WTF??? We won against Granada, Ibiza, Leganes and Levante and lost both to Valenca and Bilbao so how the hell is that good all of a sudden?! Double standards level 50.000!!!!

Last edited:

Andresito

Staff member
I kind of liked what I saw yesterday. Our problem at the moment is that we lack quality in certain positions.
Busquets, Rakitic and Roberto are all reactive players, they take zero initiative meaning that when they get the ball, we can't expect any progression in our play.

What calms me is that we're creating a lot of chances. Ansu had a few, Frenkie and obviously Griezmann and Messi all had chances that have resulted in a goal.

JohnN

We have Suarez out, our only attacker since fire was discovered.
Arthur not match fit for months.
Vidal not fit.
Dembele permanently injured.
Messi playing through pain.
Lost Alena
Lost Todibo
Lost Perez
Now, pique could have an injury

This is pretty bad. Having to play rakitic with busquets away from home is not ideal.
Having to rest Griezmann because he is playing non stop and we can't afford to lose him is not good.
Depending on 32 year old Messi to not get injured while pressing like a madman is bad too.
Also, counting on a 17 yo to score goals..

I think it is fair to say we are in a tough spot right now..

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
I really enjoyed the way we played yesterday, when I saw the line-up I thought, this is going to be horror show, but even with these players we managed to play fast and attractive football and create chances. If we play like that in majority of our away games that would be huge improvement. I think Semedo is also playing better under Setien, does better under pressure and contributes to attack more.

Same. At the outset looked like Valverde redux from the XI but I left impressed and continue to enjoy football under Setien. It's not the fault of Quique that the players were unable to convert all the chances created or the small squad he has been left with much less the scandalous officiating in Spain

MTL_Barca

Some of you wanted Suarez out of the squad and now we can't score shit without him. Many times I also wanted him out but boy I was wrong! Apart from Suarez who else is missing??? Dembele? No he was also injured under Valverde. So Setien is only short for ONE important player and because of that now all of a sudden we have problems with shortage of players while under Valverde we were claiming we had more than decent squad. Setien is also responsible for letting Perez go while it would be more than useful to have him in our squad right now. I am not saying Valverde should have stayed and I was 100% for sacking him I am just saying we have double standards now and I don't like that.

Suarez is pretty bad in many aspects, but i doubt most people who heavily criticized him thought everything will be alright if he is just removed from the squad. Most want him replaced and not just out, and more importantly want him to lose his status as safe starter no matter how he plays but that doesn't mean he isn't useful especially if the team has troubles scoring goals and is running dangerously low on forward options.

Also the squad is still decent, but having only Messi + Griezmann + la masia is just far from perfect no matter how we look at it. Idk why Perez is frequently brought up, i don't think he would make any real difference even in the current situation.

Raketa10 said:
There is also one more thing, so far under Setien we won only against shitty opponents and many people here are all of a sudden delighted with our way of playing?!?! I mean WTF??? We won against Granada, Ibiza, Leganes and Levante and lost both to Valenca and Bilbao so how the hell is that good all of a sudden?! Double standards level 50.000!!!!

There is more than just black and white, and at this point most people should've realized it. Constantly screaming double standards and bringing up Valverde time and time again won't help it.

I think the game yesterday was alright considering the circumstances, not great but also far from terrible. But i also think arguing solely based on results is pointless in general and never did that with Valverde too.

Vilarrubi

Tough loss yesterday. Usually we get dominated at San Mamés, but Bilbao did fuck all. Referee was a joke too, probably should have had a pen. We had 2 clear chances and played well in general. Would have liked a Copa win, but maybe it’s a blessing in disguise with this thin squad.

MagIX

I agree

The whole thing is absurd.
If you try to say something positive about Valverde, it automatically means you're a huge fan of him and you hate Setien. If you try to say something negative about Valverde, you automatically hate him like the plague and you are a Setien fan. If you try to say something negative about Setien, automatically you're a fan of Valverde.
And so on and so forth....... what a kindergarten!....as if our problem would be the coach, like we have a fantastic set of players (this is a indisputable fact!), but unfortunately we are missing a coach with the skills to make them win the triplete and play in a divine way.

Raketa10

We have Suarez out, our only attacker since fire was discovered.
Arthur not match fit for months.
Vidal not fit.
Dembele permanently injured.
Messi playing through pain.
Lost Alena
Lost Todibo
Lost Perez
Now, pique could have an injury

This is pretty bad. Having to play rakitic with busquets away from home is not ideal.
Having to rest Griezmann because he is playing non stop and we can't afford to lose him is not good.
Depending on 32 year old Messi to not get injured while pressing like a madman is bad too.
Also, counting on a 17 yo to score goals..

I think it is fair to say we are in a tough spot right now..

Alena and Todibo were important as Puig and Araujo so that can't be counted as a loss to be fair. We lost Perez because we are dumb as fuck. I am not saying he would be decisive factor but at least we would have a backup in attack. Vidal is fit now and everything else apart from Suarez injury is the same for moths. We planned this season horribly wrong from the start and it's fair to say that we got what we deserved. If our management learns something from this it would be great but I sincerely doubt they will.

I am almost sure we'll go for Neymar and Lautaro in summer and we will again spend 250 mil on those two alone. After that we won't have anything left for a midfielder and CB and Roberto will continue to play as a RB for another season. We will again enter next season with to many old and injury prone players and wrongly balanced squad and than we'll be surprised when 30% of them ends up injured or in bad form. I honestly can't see anything will change before next elections. If you ask me no manager in the world can repair this shit until we change our board and the way we think and act on the market.

To be able to raise again we need to go back to our values and stop signing only 100+ mil players out of whom majority of them don't even fit here. What's even more important we need to realize one good signing or even two are not enough to for wining CL. For that you need to have a well balanced squad and we don't have that for years now.

In the end I don't even blame Setien for anything, he definitely has limited resources within the squad but I am definitely against hyping someone only because he managed to establish possession based football once again.

Last edited:

BBZ8800

I know you love your boy Ernie but what gives you this kind of confidence in him? Don't forget Suarez would've been out for Valverde as well.

1. We changed one average manager with another.
Except that a first one knew the team, their strengths and flaws after three years.
2. Plus, the first one knew their flaws and their age and thus played an ugly slow granny football, but was efficient.
Setien is trying to play more beautiful football which requires lots of movement, lots of running and younger players.

Imo, there is a high chance that a time will tell that EV was just realistic and:
= this team can't play both beautiful and effective

So, you have to pick:
1. Ugly football and wins
2. Nicer football and defeats
3. Ugly football and defeats

EV picked a no1.
Setien picked a no2.

Fans want a no4, which is impossible with this team=more intensity, more movement, beautiful play and winning.

Just look, EV is gone for 3 weeks and suddenly majority is realizing that:
Our team is bad
That even Messi is declining fast
That amigos are done
That Frenkie is limited in lots of areas
Arthur also

Only 1 Month ago: Frenkie was lost due to EV.
EV was ruining Arthur etc.

My point: how things are unfolding, there is a high chance that in the future people will say: even EV didn't have much choice with this team. That was more or less the only way how to use this granny team if we wanted to win trophies.

It is what it is.
Literally.

JohnN

EV made this team the way they are. Not alone. He had Barto, who picked him to be a pawn, with him. Half the squad injured is absymal. Could be bad luck too. But the last games prove we CAN run more. We can take pressure. We can make combinations. So, what if these things were drilled for a whole summer? You can't not acknowledge that we got results in EV's first year. But then nothing happened. He let the team be complacent and happy with bad football and lax tactics. And all this shit lead to today. Today didn't happen last 3 weeks.

Raketa10

1. We changed one average manager with another.
Except that a first one knew the team, their strengths and flaws after three years.
2. Plus, the first one knew their flaws and their age and thus played an ugly slow granny football, but was efficient.
Setien is trying to play more beautiful football which requires lots of movement, lots of running and younger players.

Imo, there is a high chance that a time will tell that EV was just realistic and:
= this team can't play both beautiful and effective

So, you have to pick:
1. Ugly football and wins
2. Nicer football and defeats
3. Ugly football and defeats

EV picked a no1.
Setien picked a no2.

Fans want a no4, which is impossible with this team=more intensity, more movement, beautiful play and winning.

Just look, EV is gone for 3 weeks and suddenly majority is realizing that:
Our team is bad
That even Messi is declining fast
That amigos are done
That Frenkie is limited in lots of areas
Arthur also

Only 1 Month ago: Frenkie was lost due to EV.
EV was ruining Arthur etc.

My point: how things are unfolding, there is a high chance that in the future people will say: even EV didn't have much choice with this team. That was more or less the only way how to use this granny team if we wanted to win trophies.

It is what it is.
Literally.

As much as I don't wan't to be negative right now I am afraid this might be the truth. I don't even blame Valverde for playing bad. What I blame him the most is that 0-4 loss. Even that Roma defeat which was horrible can happen once but to allow that shit to repeat two times in a row is unacceptable. That 0-4 loss against Lpool may actually ended this generation once and for all. That was our last chance and we blew it. He should have reacted, he should have said something during halftime when we were down just one goal. He should have been prepared knowing what happened a year ago! So if you ask me those two defeats should have never happened not even with this old granny squad! That alone is enough to label him as a failure and that alone should have gotten him fired way before this season started.

Last edited:

Riordon

Lets see if we can keep this up. It was a good game to be honest. You can see he is a good manager with good ideas but we need to help him by bringing in new players.

MTL_Barca

Probably, but people have terrible memory. Just like how Paulinho is now somehow the GOAT transfer when in reality selling him after one year was probably the equivalent to winning the lottery.

This far i see absolutely no clue to Setien somehow being worse than Valverde in any aspect of coaching. You just like to blow everything about him out of proportion, what is funny considering how you always complain about people doing the same thing with Valverde.

More/intense training during the first week(s) = team will be dead in March, all seniors will turn on him, Messi will leave

Not scoring enough goals (when that was already a problem before) = Setien only has possession and won't score goals

Some starters playing nearly all minutes minutes the first few games = team will be dead in March, he hasn't mastered the rotation like Valverde did even though Valverde fielded Messi pretty much every possible minute this season.

No matter how you twist that, it's just in no way objective because you had your opinion on Setien set in stone before he even had his first training session. You just troll the forum because of how much shit Ernie got from some users.

Now for the season: It was fucked up either way. We all knew that, that's why Valverde got fired mid season despite leading the league. The mistakes were made last summer when they kept Valverde and didn't change much about the squad. At least Setien is/was worth a try to turn things around and maybe prepare a bit for post-granny days, even though that last part is probably unrealistic knowing how the board bends over for them at every possible occasion :lol: I don't think there was a chance Valverde would've suddenly turned things around so there was no point in keeping him any longer and in the summer they would've hired another average coach anyway. The team got progressively worse even with the league master in charge.

I also don't think many people seriously expected Setien to suddenly turn everything around what went wrong the past few years but somehow that seems to be the opinion you keep arguing against just like other made up things like the majority of fans wanting to play Arthur-Frenkie-Puig etc.

Last edited:

malvolio

Wow man, we needed someone like you after the Roma match. Where were you while we were getting high?

you wanted to be ironical but eventually shit your pants. nobody would have fired him(maybe florentino high on cocaine) after the roma debacle and rightly so. we were doing great in the league(results wise) and finished the season with a double.

last year's elimination against liverpool was truly the moment to fire him. it would have been a legit move by the board, players wouldn't have actually complained and we would have got a better manager(than 4-5th option setien) which would've had time to prepare the new season.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans