Rafinha Alcantara

If it was sergi roberto who put up such a mediocre performance, He would've been burned alive and ripped apart.
Many just look for ways to suite their already pre-determined narratives about someone, Objectivity is becoming more rare by the day.

Roberto's been in the first team for a whole season and failed to impress. Rafinha's been in the first team for 2 games. Not to mention he's already had a good season in La Liga, which is a lot more than you can say about Roberto.

Last edited:

Der Kaiser

It's probably an unpopular opinion but I always thought Thiago was the better one of the two. His playstyle would have suited us a lot more... but Rafinha is still young and has shown promising signs.

Darko

It's probably an unpopular opinion but I always thought Thiago was the better one of the two. His playstyle would have suited us a lot more... but Rafinha is still young and has shown promising signs.

might be "unpopular" but it was true

Zangash

Banned

How is that an unpopular opinion? Thiago was Xavi's heir. I don't think any rational person would say Rafinha was ever the better brother.

If it's unpopular, it's only because people here are butthurt about Thiago leaving.

Zangash

Banned
If it's unpopular, it's only because people here are butthurt about Thiago leaving.

Thiago had something a certain CB on our bench lacks in recognizing when the club values you about as much as dirt. If he hadn't have left he'd probably still be behind Iniesta and Rakatic in the pecking order while now he's an important part of Pep's Bayern. People can be butthurt all they like, but the blame should really fall on Tito and the board for refusing to play him even when we had long secured the league.

Icarium

Lifestealer
We would never have bought Rakitic if thiago was still around. But i won't complain because he is injury prone. Actually i am glad he left.

Thiago had something a certain CB on our bench lacks in recognizing when the club values you about as much as dirt. If he hadn't have left he'd probably still be behind Iniesta and Rakatic in the pecking order while now he's an important part of Pep's Bayern. People can be butthurt all they like, but the blame should really fall on Tito and the board for refusing to play him even when we had long secured the league.

+1

khaled_a_d

I think most of us know that tbh,but It is more of a hope that Rafinha can surpass his brother ,he has better physical tools as he is taller and stronger and can be better defender in midfield ,but Thiago has been always the more creative player

Neeraj

I think most of us know that tbh,but It is more of a hope that Rafinha can surpass his brother ,he has better physical tools as he is taller and stronger and can be better defender in midfield ,but Thiago has been always the more creative player

Yeah. I firmly held the same opinion too. The only time I started to question it though, was when I read that Thiago had said that his brother is much more talented than him.. Now that could just be a nice thing to say about your brother, but I felt he wouldn't say that unless his bro was some serious talent too..so I thought..hey maybe...:lol:

Der Kaiser

Im not so sure about the defending... Thiago has done very well playing as a lone holding midfielder for Bayern, Rafinha is usually used in a much more attacking role. I feel as if Thiago has everything we need in a central midfielder to replace Xavi. The high percentage passing, vision, balance, movement off the ball. Rafinha works much better when he´s closer to the goal, he doesnt seem to be a build-up player.
Rafinha may be taller but Thiago is pretty strong for his height, and he scored some headers for us too. The only downside is that he´s pretty injury prone...

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Come on folks, just a few games in and we have already given our verdict on Rafinha?

It is useless to bring up Thiago, he is a goner.

Der Kaiser

Come on folks, just a few games in and we have already given our verdict on Rafinha?

It is useless to bring up Thiago, he is a goner.

Nobody has given up on Rafinha, just stating the differences and our preferences. Thiago may be gone now but so have Pique and Cesc at one point. If Pep leaves Bayern one day and we´re a CL contender at that time, I can see him coming back now that we have a different board and coach.

PhilS

Rafinha shows glimpses of making game-changing plays. Along with disappearing for significant intervals, which is not OK for a Barca midfielder. Thiago might become one of the best midfielders in the world, with Rafinha the ceiling is lower. I don't know if that ceiling is Barca #4 midfielder, Barca first alternate midfielder, or member of the first 11.

Tito drove Thiago away, but I don't thing Thiago was quite right for the Barca style. I think Rafa is more likely to have a long-term future here.

No, Thiago was never Xavi'x replacement. No one will ever replace Xavi in his prime.

Andrew M

Yeah. I firmly held the same opinion too. The only time I started to question it though, was when I read that Thiago had said that his brother is much more talented than him.. Now that could just be a nice thing to say about your brother, but I felt he wouldn't say that unless his bro was some serious talent too..so I thought..hey maybe...:lol:

I remember in around 2007 kolo toure said that yaya was more talented than him and people felt that perhaps kolo was being supportive. Kolo just knew his shit, though.

Home of Barca Fans