Raphael Varane

khaled_a_d

He probably didn't come close to it (despite the advantages of the club and NT he played for) because (for me) you are vastly overrating his talent in the first place. That's really the most obvious explanation. Good player sure but I never swallowed his hype. Van Dijk as one example is way more talented than him. Ramos is only 6 years older and carried him for years.

Varane was supposed to be VVD before VVD himself, and he is younger. That mix of height, speed, strength, athletic ability while actually being a true footballer and not just an athlete. That was almost unprecedented.
He also had that golden luck with his teams.
And years from now, I doubt he will be rated higher than the likes of his own teammates like Ramos and Pepe, or VVD, Pique, etc but closer to Boateng or something. And that is deservingly too, I am not saying he was better player. It is just what could gave been.
Injuries and lack of progress hindered him a lot tbh.
Still amazing career, and probably one of the best, if not the best, CB for the French NT too. He was immense in 2018 and their best defender in both 2014 and 2022.

Home of Barca Fans