Real Madrid (old thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainsaw

Killahead
Greece win is a mix of luck and of course rise of the level of football in Greece , it still remain a fluke but u can't achieve it with 11 idiots
as for Valencia .. look mate this a team that won la liga , UEFA cup and played the final of the CL twice.. losing to us in one of them... what do they have to do to be bigger than that ? everyone feared them ..

Look i don't know how old you were back than but it was in my mid 20's so i do remember them quite well

There is nothing about questioning Valencia here. That team was the one I admired alot myself and if you have read my posts here and there I always spoke highly of 'em. The point was that the Barca at the time could not cope with the 3 strongest teams in Europe which used to be Bayern, Real and Valencia. Not sure if they even could against Manchester and Arsenal. I said I believe due to the struggle of Italian and English sides (beside Barca) back then, those 3 names were owning the 2000-2003 in Europe all the time. You said you disagree with that. Fine, let's not run into the circles about this.

And I was 17,18 at that time. Dunno if that's sufficient enough for you. lol ;)

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
Barca had good players at that time:- Abelardo, Luis Enrique, Rivaldo, Overmars and Cocu but the rest of the team was garbage. Dutreal and Bonano were crap. Reizeger was shit. De Boer and Rochemback also shit. Plus with 2 overrated turds up front in Saviola and Kluivert, was it any wonder Barca failed when it matter back then?

Only when Xavi and Puyol started to emerge and Rijkaard became manager did the tide turn for Barca.

But yeah apart from those 3 Spanish teams, Depor had some great results in europe beating the mancs home and away. Although they lost to them in the Quartes that same season!!!

Lyon and PSV were starting to emerge and solid outfits in europe that one their day can beat anyone.

One thing did remain the same though. Inter were still the king of choke jobs :lol:

Chainsaw

Killahead
Re: Valencia.

Had they had a world class striker they would have won the CL easily circa 2000 - 2004 era.

The competition back then was awesome. So many very good teams back them competing to win the CL. Juve and Milan were exceptionally strong at that time. Real and Valencia were Spain's strongest teams at that time, however Barca weren't as bad as people think, however they had a real soft centre which meant they weren't winning anything soon at that time. In england Man U and Arsenal were strong, PSV and Lyon were no slouches either. Bayern were awesome and Leverkusen were strong too.

So in european football it was a great time to be a neutral watching CL each season because there was no heavy favourite each season and it was unpredictable.

Real Madrid 2000 team is superior to the 2002 because of one man:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjDcPQPXN08

Easy to say 'easily' now. But Hector Cuper, as much as I loved the guy (one of the reasons I started following Inter as well after his first year there as the coach) and his tactics looked to be sharp and effective at the time has always been known to be the 'second best'. Call it lack of luck, his very specific style of play, lack of enough offensive ideas... his teams used to go all the way good only to be stopped at the last step. Even back then at Inter several players in the squad (specifically attacking players) were not happy with Cuper's lack of attacking approaches. Even that came out as one of the reasons that Ronaldo left Inter for Real Madrid. I'm not sure if a world class striker could change that much. Claudio Lopez at his time in Valencia was an absolute freaking monster in the team. Though even he couldn't save Valencia.

About Italian teams, you are very much wrong. Those were some dark times for Italians teams. They were repeatedly on the losing mode. And if you take a look back it was the Lazio/Roma era more than Juve/Milan's actually (Real Madrid vs Lazio in the Bernabeu which ended 3-2 to Real was one hell of a match!). But yet again, despite all the big hopes they had to make it in Europe they were just disappointing at the end. That's exactly the era that the English media (in particular) started to stick their knives into Italian football, claiming they are no more the teams to be feared of in Europe.

M

mitkoa7x

Angel Maria Villar is reelected for the 7th term in a row. Im not into the whole federation thing, is the bum behind the ref's behavior this season?

No Soy Galáctico

Benny Blanco
what i remmeber from milan - madrid :

42722_dv854657_122_443lo.jpg

InzaghiMadrid.jpg

inzaghi :hooray:

That goal was offside. Thats all i remember.

Re: Valencia.

Had they had a world class striker they would have won the CL easily circa 2000 - 2004 era.

The competition back then was awesome. So many very good teams back them competing to win the CL. Juve and Milan were exceptionally strong at that time. Real and Valencia were Spain's strongest teams at that time, however Barca weren't as bad as people think, however they had a real soft centre which meant they weren't winning anything soon at that time. In england Man U and Arsenal were strong, PSV and Lyon were no slouches either. Bayern were awesome and Leverkusen were strong too.

So in european football it was a great time to be a neutral watching CL each season because there was no heavy favourite each season and it was unpredictable.

Real Madrid 2000 team is superior to the 2002 because of one man:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjDcPQPXN08

Cannot agree with you more. Redondo was immense that season, he hit the pinnacle of his career. So sad it would be his last high as a player.

DucdeOrléans

As much as I liked to watch the Galácticos, mostly because of ZIZOU and Ronaldo since they were the first football players I can remember that I genuinely admired (my first football matches I can remember having watched was France's and Italy's WC 1998 campaigns in France as well as Brazil's, mostly because of Ronaldo - I don't think there was any 6 year old kid, which I was at that time, who watched football and did not like Ronaldo or owned a Brazil shirt with his name on the back) that Galácticos team (2000-2006) although having a share of majestic performances were too unstable and too weak as a unit (especially defensively) which "only" 2 league titles and 1 CL proves from 2000-2006.

In fact I see a lot of similarities with the Galacticós and FCB anno 2004-2008. A hell lot of talent but all that talent did not live up to the expectations far more often than it should.

In my 10 years of watching football I have never seen such a well-oiled machine as Pep's FCB. I imagine Sacchi's Milan being the closest team in that aspect in the last 20 years.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
Stop sobbing Ed, you are not even the oldest on this forum.:)

I still remember the 1998 and 2006 WC's as it was today but that feels like ages ago now.

Simple, time flies fast.

True I can always rely on good old Gio to cheer me up :D

I remember Italia 90 like it was yesterday. My memory is hazy on Mexico 86 - however I still have my sticker album for it in my parents loft!!!!

DucdeOrléans

True I can always rely on good old Gio to cheer me up :D

I remember Italia 90 like it was yesterday. My memory is hazy on Mexico 86 - however I still have my sticker album for it in my parents loft!!!!

:lol:

From what I have seen Mexico 86 was pretty epic, Italia 1990 not so much.

In my life time (footballing life time at least) France 1998 has been the best until now closely followed by 2006.

2002 (because of the horrible and corrupt referees and the France and Argentina fiascos (both were the biggest favorites to win it) and 2010 (only Germany entertained me and to an extent Spain while I will remember it for the France and Italia fiascos:() were overall quite poor in comparison in my opinion.

Last edited:

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
Well i tend to disagree i think the 2002 team was imperial maybe lacking a redondo beside Makalele only and Del Bosque still had the freedom to do what he want

he had freedom on paper, but in reality the freedom wasn't that great because of the makeup of the team.

either way it'd be great fun. I'd love to see Busi battle with Zizou.

I disagree about the A teams now.. show me any A team outside Real and Barca ? who is the superstar ? i mean that's the easiest thing to do to judge by that.. you know who will be the top 4 every year in the WPOY award.. the trio of Barca + CR..

this season? well compared to Barça and Real there are none, but that's exactly my point. Barça are A+, Real are A, which at the very least downgrades everyone else to A-. so right off the bat things look worse, but that's only because of Barça and Real!

there was no Barça and Real (like this) at the start of the decade. if there was, you'd have seen those A teams get knocked down a few pegs just like the current lot have been. those Juve teams, Bayern teams, they could shine alongside Barça and Real because it was a level playing field (more or less).

these teams haven't gotten worse (well, some have, like Juve & Valencia), it's just that Barça & Real have gotten better.

and the WPOY thing doesn't fuck with my theory. like I said, Barça distort everything. and so do Cristiano's gaudy numbers. would Sheva, Nedved or Owen have come near the Ballon d'Or with Messi around? fuck no!

We didn't know who will win it back than, yes the CL played the same role but you had Nedved,Henry,Rivaldo,Zidane,Figo,Ronaldo,Sheva?

Do you see Cavani winning it in the next 5-10 years ? or being a Ruud ? or even a Sheva ?

Cavani could, for sure. the only thing stood in his way is that Barça, Real, Bayern, Milan & City don't need a striker. and while United could use him, it's unlikely they'll move for him as they have loyalties to their current forwards. the best thing for him would be for Juve to win Serie A and then buy him. they're crying out for a proper goalscorer and he could be just what they need.

and it's funny you should bring up Zidane, Figo and Ronaldo because guess where they all ended up? same place Cristiano, Benzema, Kaka and Xabi did. and, apart from in Kaka's case, all those teams had to adjust to losing a really special player. only United spent that money well, just like only Juve recycled the Zidane money back in the day (us & Inter blew it all, really).

But i can point out to 8 A's back in the time .. you had players to fear in every team , i can't even point to a single massive star outside Real & Barca the same way i would say about Ruud about Nedved , About Sheva,Rivaldo

again, every star is being outshone by Barça and Madrid.

there are plenty of great players to be feared outside of the Big Two. they lack the reputation because how can they possibly be hyped to the hills when Messi is around? you can't fawn all over, say, Schweinsteiger, because he's still vastly inferior to Xavi & Iniesta. you can't really big up Nani too much because he's not on Cristiano's level. etc. but there are players to fear everywhere and if you don't respect them they will fuck you up. City didn't respect Cavani & Napoli and look what happened to them.

Pepe Silvia

It is not about tracking back as much as it is about control. This team cannot control a game for long, they get anxious. 1. They don't have the patience, 2. They don't have the necessary skills in midfield or offense.

Our first team's first touch is that of a boss, not a king. Also, technically speaking, our players don't have the dribbling skills to beat defenders and leave them in their wake, besides Di Maria and Marcelo (who still has to improve a lot) we don't have a player who beats a man for man. Ozil, Benzema and Higuain are on a lower level than Di Maria, and Ronaldo is even lower without his pace and Coentrao and Lass are in their next tier.

Not to mention my observation about the player's first touch, which is below Barcelona's. We wouldn't have to track back as much if we controlled the ball, or pressure as much if we had to control the ball better. There is always a trade off and a risk in approach.

Not to mention under constant pressure your current defense is worse than our current one, and our current one isn't as good as the 2002's because while they may have conceded more overall, they had better leadership.

You would find massive difficulties against the 2002 team.

But as far as squads go, its hard to argue against this Barcelona. Built for constant winning, with the mentality to conquer all, equipped with the necessary tools to destroy and unlock. It had been a while since coach's built teams to win everything all at once, Frank Rijkaard brought that to the club, Pep succeeded with it. The 2002 team were happy to win one thing, and at the time that was a major success, but not by today's standards.
Wow nice post, Raed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans