Ronald Koeman

malvolio

where did this meltdown come from? was he unhappy with the end to the transfer window?

Things were brewing since Laporta won the presidency and Koeman was nowhere near the title.

Plus the fact that he got a much weakened squad after the end of the transfer window.

Messigician

Ronald Koeman: "At Barcelona there is a really bad financial situation. The departures of Messi and Griezmann have caused us to adjust our goals." [jinek]

Koeman: "Of course there are moments when you think: 'Do I really want this?', but in the end I want to succeed here as a coach. I will give it my all to make the grade."

Bobo32

Ronald Koeman: "At Barcelona there is a really bad financial situation. The departures of Messi and Griezmann have caused us to adjust our goals." [jinek]

Koeman: "Of course there are moments when you think: 'Do I really want this?', but in the end I want to succeed here as a coach. I will give it my all to make the grade."

A true hero! If it wasn't for him, the club would have NO future!

Wambo

"Trust the process"

Neeraj

It's also a problem of personalities. Koeman is arrogant belying his competence, and Laporta is a showman and a loud talker.

After the initial communication where he made it very clear that he would replace Koeman if he found someone better and the fact that he ended up staying only because they couldn't get anyone else - well okay, let's say that was fair enough.

The problem is, Laporta is doing everything in his power to cover his back and make a defense for himself when things (invariably) go belly up this season. The way he has positioned himself, it is to say - Look, if Koeman does okay, great, we gave him a chance. But if we implode, that is totally not on me, I've been saying for a while we should play X with formation Z. I never wanted this guy, etc.

Laporta could and should be more magnanimous here. He could keep aside his agenda of building his own safety net and keep these discussions within the club without parading it to the media, for the sake of the club. Let's face it, this kind of public spat doesn't help us from a sporting perspective. But that's what you get with Laporta though. As much as he 'loves' the club, he's a showman, he wants to cover his ass and he wants to make himself look good, aside from being a real big mouth.

Bobo32

It's also a problem of personalities. Koeman is arrogant belying his competence, and Laporta is a showman and a loud talker.

After the initial communication where he made it very clear that he would replace Koeman if he found someone better and the fact that he ended up staying only because they couldn't get anyone else - well okay, let's say that was fair enough.

The problem is, Laporta is doing everything in his power to cover his back and make a defense for himself when things (invariably) go belly up this season. The way he has positioned himself, it is to say - Look, if Koeman does okay, great, we gave him a chance. But if we implode, that is totally not on me, I've been saying for a while we should play X with formation Z. I never wanted this guy, etc.

Laporta could and should be more magnanimous here. He could keep aside his agenda of building his own safety net and keep these discussions within the club without parading it to the media, for the sake of the club. Let's face it, this kind of public spat doesn't help us from a sporting perspective. But that's what you get with Laporta though. As much as he 'loves' the club, he's a showman, he wants to cover his ass and he wants to make himself look good, aside from being a real big mouth.

Forgive me for not following everything too closely, but can you sum up what Laportas real big mouth has said?

I am sure Laporta wants to look good but I can't believe Koeman wants to make himself look bad (even though he does look bad)?

Neeraj

Forgive me for not following everything too closely, but can you sum up what Laportas real big mouth has said?

I am sure Laporta wants to look good but I can't believe Koeman wants to make himself look bad (even though he does look bad)?

Laporta is known to be a big mouth. Any single event he has whether it's business or pleasure, he tries to go on a charm offensive and runs his mouth, which we also saw during his campaign.

On this specific occasion, him talking (or leaking) about preferred formations, players and Koeman once again doesn't help matters (specifically saying he thinks Puig and Umtiti should play, that we should play 4-3-3, that we should play a different 'style' of football). Even now his reply to whether Koeman has his support is filled with mixed signals. I refuse to believe that the rumors out in the media don't have Laporta's blessing. If you believe that, well that's a different story then.

As for your point on Koeman, I didn't quite follow what you were saying (or asking?)

Bobo32

Laporta is known to be a big mouth. Any single event he has whether it's business or pleasure, he tries to go on a charm offensive and runs his mouth, which we also saw during his campaign.

On this specific occasion, him talking (or leaking) about preferred formations, players and Koeman once again doesn't help matters (specifically saying he thinks Puig and Umtiti should play, that we should play 4-3-3, that we should play a different 'style' of football). Even now his reply to whether Koeman has his support is filled with mixed signals. I refuse to believe that the rumors out in the media don't have Laporta's blessing. If you believe that, well that's a different story then.

As for your point on Koeman, I didn't quite follow what you were saying (or asking?)

Very vague, I would like some quotes and examples...
If he is loud and lets his mouth go, you should have examples of things that he said but that he shouldn't have said, not rumours from papers.
I think a president should present himself in a charming and correct way.

My point down there is that it's good to appear good.

JamDav1982

Koeman and Laporta know they are in the shit and playing games to put the blame on one another.

Koeman is in the right on this one. Laporta has to back him or sack him not undermine him at every opportunity in hope he deflects from his own failings and constant shite being spouted.

Any coach with self respect would do the same and come out firing. Either back me or sack me but dont play games to try and shift blame.

Laporta just once again acting like a politician with no plan at all.

JamDav1982

The worst part will be if the team shows all the issues have had in big CL games for 4/5 seasons and nothing has been learned.

Pique bitching at refs and unable to organise a defence, CBs struggling to get ball into midfield as Busi cant move and deferring back to MATS to try and make passes they should be making, lack of pace up top meaning teams can push high and pressure the weakness of Pique led defence and Busi at DM.

Could even take a few goals defeat if younger players were given chances at expense of players already know fail at this level for years.

Fear is Barca play 352 and the idea to get past the press is for MATS to make a 'long pass' up to De Jong to win fouls and take ball down.

Home of Barca Fans