Ronaldinho

footyfan

Calma, calma
It's based on votes cast by readers through the 10 years. Those are never accurate measures. Ronaldo won the ********* poll for this year.
Besides, how do they come up with the points? Messi is at second, close to Ronaldinho but he has only played amazing for a few years hasn't he?

Doobs

The Messiah
Well yeah looking at the popularity Messi and Ronaldo have had in the last few years, its not surprising they've got as many votes as they got. How Ronnie won on shit.com is beyond me but who cares? Im just happy Ronnie got recognized for his brilliance.

footyfan

Calma, calma
I agree but it's difficult for me to take that award seriously because, for example, you can see Nedved, Figo and Owen in the top 10. Great players they may be, but they only had 1, maybe 2 years of brilliance in this decade. Not just that, but people who have been consistent throughout (who in my opinion, should be the real winners) are much lower on the list.

It might be a controversial thing to say on this forum, but how is Iniesta so high? There are more deserving players ranked below him and less deserving players ranked above him. This poll was in 2009, so all his awesomeness at the WC was not even taken into account. Yet he finished at 14th.

Doobs

The Messiah
I'm not taking the award seriously myself. Its just a popularity contest really, thats why it hasn't really made big news. Nedved, Figo and Owen were more popular a few years back than you think.

Im a little confused about your comment on Iniesta, are you unhappy with him being too high on the list or too low?

I'll assume you meant too high, because thats whats "controversial"
I infact think he's too low on the list, I think you've fallen for a typical misconception about Iniesta (and Xavi too) that they've only become star players after 09.
Iniesta had been performing at a very high level from the moment he broke into the B team and first team, its just that he was so damn masterful in 09 (again along with Xavi) that the world couldn't help but take notice. He's been a brilliant player from the moment he started out, he would have been thrown into the spotlight had it not been for players like Ronnie, Deco and the emerging Messi etc.

footyfan

Calma, calma
Yeah, I meant he was higher than expected. And the same goes for a few players above him as well. That's what I meant.

I do know quite a bit about Iniesta (and Xavi). I distinctly remember he turned the game around when he came as a sub at HT in the CL final in Paris. He was a good player but was played all over the place however and as you point out, was rightly overshadowed by Dinho, Etoo, Deco and Messi too to a certain extent. But there are players on other teams who have influenced their team's games much more and have won just as much.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/world_soccer/12/15/player.of.decade/index.html

Within that list itself, I can point out a few names who probably should be higher than Iniesta (consider that the list is for the decade 2000-2009):

Xavi
Eto'o
Deco
Totti (debatable)
Maldini
Casillas
Ibrahimovic
Buffon
Ballack (debatable)

Additionally, there are players like Andrea Pirlo who are not even in the top 40. That's unbelievable. Other players missing from the list - Makelele, Nesta, Seedorf, Puyol, Terry and others that I cannot think of currently.

89Norcal

I like this video:

btw, today is the 7th anniversary of that clasico where Ronnie raped Madrid at Bernabeu.

My ears! They had to use the Wack Eyed Peas version! :angry:

I have that clasico on my computer. It's blurry and was recorded with a POS VCR but I'll never delete it.

Doobs

The Messiah
Considering that the end of the vote coincided with Barca's magnificent performance in 09, its not surprising Barca players made it quite high (maybe) undeservedly. You could say Messi doesn't deserve to be #2 considering he wasn't even active pre 04. Like I said earlier its a popularity contest, David Beckham is rated higher than Pirlo :lol:

Ronnie basically won because he was so entertaining.

89Norcal

Watching his club play Cruzeiro right now. Atletico Mineiro are seeking 2nd place in the Brasileiro behind Deco's Fluminense. Ronne's penalty in the 1st half was denied.

89Norcal

Atletico Mineiro win 3-2 vs Cruzeiro. Gremio drew in the Gre-nal Derby so Atletico win 2nd place by 1 point. All the fans and the players stayed in the Estádio Independência to watch the result which was pretty cool. It was weird to see Ronaldinho watching hoping for his home club to lose or draw lol

Jadentheman

Who ever said Ronnie is fat now is lying. He never has looked better or younger! It looks like he was freshly dumped from 2005 Barca team

18083_346804418750266_268570932_n.jpg

Stric

His head looks disproportional :/

I thought so, too. Like his entire body shrank. :lol: Probably a very unflattering camera angle or lighting or something.

But yes, that's definitely a very low BF % right there. He's in great shape. So sad he's not in Europe anymore...

Home of Barca Fans