Ross Barkley

H

Haruko The Goon

Out of that lot only Barkley, Shaw and Ward-Prowse can be classified as players with world class potential. Wilshere is too old to be put in that group. Jones too.

A 21 year old is now written off as "too old" to reach WC level?

Sweet baby Jesus!

H

Haruko The Goon

Not sure about Lingard and Berahino...You missed out Sterling/Hughes and Powell though who i rate, Januzaj could also represent England, not sure how i feel about that. But if the worlds top nation (Spain) can pouch players who have represented another country (Costa), why can't England? Januazj representing England isn't as bad as the Costa situation, it's a similar case to Thiago, in how he could have represented 3 country's - Brazil due to his parents (father played for Brazil), Italy (country of birth), Spain (5 year residence rule).

If Januzaj applies for British citizenship in 2 years, he's as British as anyone who was born in Britain, but yeah think those have an high ceiling of potential too.

I've heard good things about Dan Crowley too, I've never watched him, but you always hear of comparisons to Wilshere with him.

Crowley does this predictable move where he'll be in full sprint, and when someone tries to tackle him, he'll showm them his back, only to then continue with the bursting run... God knows how it baffles players all the time, as he always does it.

Plus he's too bloody young. He's good for his age group.

Jenks

If Januzaj applies for British citizenship in 2 years, he's as British as anyone who was born in Britain, but yeah think those have an high ceiling of potential too.

Oh come on, you can't seriously believe that.

J

Jayuk

Oh come on, you can't seriously believe that.

Can't believe what? It's what they will be. In the 21st century the world is a smaller place and immigration happens everywhere, especially in large country's.. In the future human beings will be born on the Moon and Mars, that won't make them martian.

If an individual chooses to be a citizen of a particular nation and passes relevant tests to be a citizen of that country, people should respect that.

From a sporting pov the likes Zaha has lived here since was 4, has lived under an English roof/grown on English food/educated in English schools and as a footballer, talents developed and paid for by English academy's and coaches, what has his country of birth contributed to Zaha the man or footballer and why should they benefit from that if he ends up as a massive talent?

In Januzaj's case, as said its very similar to Thiago and not as bad as Diego Costa representing Spain should it happen, so if other country's do it and the no1 ranked nation in the world, as said why can't England?

Jenks

Can't believe what? It's what they will be. In the 21st century the world is a smaller place and immigration happens everywhere, especially in large country's.. In the future human beings will be born on the Moon and Mars, that won't make them martian.

Well yeah, it will do. But my point is less about the lottery of where you were born and more about culture and national identity. There's nothing English about Januzaj, he's Belgian and of Kosovan descent, and it's implausible that he'll be more English than Belgian or Kosovan in just five years time.

If an individual chooses to be a citizen of a particular nation and passes relevant tests to be a citizen of that country, people should respect that.

Why? If Januzaj chooses to represent England then it'll be because of financial gain and career opportunities, not because he's English. This sort of blasé attitude towards nationality completely undermines what international football is all about.

From a sporting pov the likes Zaha has lived here since was 4, has lived under an English roof/grown on English food/educated in English schools and as a footballer, talents developed and paid for by English academy's and coaches, what has his country of birth contributed to Zaha the man or footballer and why should they benefit from that if he ends up as a massive talent?

Zaha and Januzaj are not comparable for the reasons you've listed.

In Januzaj's case, as said its very similar to Thiago and not as bad as Diego Costa representing Spain should it happen, so if other country's do it and the no1 ranked nation in the world, as said why can't England?

We can, we just shouldn't. Just because Spain are an incredibly team that doesn't mean they're the arbiters of footballing ethics across the world. They can call up all the Brazilians they like, but I'd like England to hold ourselves to a higher moral standard than that.

H

Haruko The Goon

Legally he will be eligible for England.
But every man and his dog will know he isn't.

I think it's Crazy that Zidane could play for France, while his son plays for Spain. In 15 years, If Enzo has a son who's born in Malta, he could represent them.

In the real world, everything is fine. But we all know it's not exactly what International football once was.

S7_MUFC

Legally he will be eligible for England.
But every man and his dog will know he isn't.

I think it's Crazy that Zidane could play for France, while his son plays for Spain. In 15 years, If Enzo has a son who's born in Malta, he could represent them.

In the real world, everything is fine. But we all know it's not exactly what International football once was.

Alfredo di stefano played for three National teams so you can argue that modern situation of being stuck with one team after making competitive debut is just and represents the spirit of International football.....According to Fifa rules he will have to spend 5 years in the England after his 18th birthday so he will not be eligible until 2018.........
BTW did anyone know that Barkley was eligible for Nigeria because his grandfather was Nigerian.....:lol:

J

Jayuk

Have to say you have very old school views.
Well yeah, it will do. But my point is less about the lottery of where you were born and more about culture and national identity. There's nothing English about Januzaj, he's Belgian and of Kosovan descent, and it's implausible that he'll be more English than Belgian or Kosovan in just five years time.
National identity is a lottery. What is national identity to you? What is your view of nations like the United States, a newish nation built on immigration. A nation that still prides itself on having its doors open to people wanting a (so called) better life, where you can swear allegiance to the US and become 'American' (stricter now but doors are open) and a policy all western nations now adopt.
Why? If Januzaj chooses to represent England then it'll be because of financial gain and career opportunities, not because he's English. This sort of blasé attitude towards nationality completely undermines what international football is all about.
If Januzaj chooses to reprsent England it will be because Kosovo isn't reconised as a country by FIFA and half of the world and for whatever reason doesn't want to play for Belgium. You talk about 'morals' and 'ethics' further down, the only thing unmoral and unethical is making a player represent a nation he doesn't feel linked to or call home just because they was born there, that's why there is residency rule in football.
Zaha and Januzaj are not comparable for the reasons you've listed.
That's why i said, i'm still "not sure how i feel about that" (Januzaj representing England). What i am a big believer in though is a persons free will and as said if Januzaj wants to represent England and become a British citizen then he CHOOSES to be British, holds a British passport and is much a citizen of the United Kingdom as people born here, like it or not that is just a fact in the world we live in.
We can, we just shouldn't. Just because Spain are an incredibly team that doesn't mean they're the arbiters of footballing ethics across the world.

[/QUOTE]
I never said it does, there's many other nations who have players and sportsmen representing them who wasn't born in their country (Spain/Italy/Germany & England). Because that's the way the world is now, especially in high population nations like the ones i mentioned. All this is because of free movement/job opportunities/better lifestyles/traveling overseas less time than traveling to parts of your own country, the human race has moved on from the primitive 'you are from this tribe, you have to stay in this tribe' or 'this is our land, you cannot enter this land'.

Alg1878

Rooney fell out with Moyes.

Now Moyes manages him, and they praise each other.

Rooney still doesn't like Moyes, however as a Man U employee he isn't going to come out and criticise his new manager. Put it this way, there is more chance you will see Rooney back in a Everton shirt before you see Barkley in a Man U shirt.

Jenks

National identity is a lottery. What is national identity to you?

A shared culture and life experience, first and foremost.

If Januzaj chooses to reprsent England it will be because Kosovo isn't reconised as a country by FIFA and half of the world and for whatever reason doesn't want to play for Belgium. You talk about 'morals' and 'ethics' further down, the only thing unmoral and unethical is making a player represent a nation he doesn't feel linked to or call home just because they was born there, that's why there is residency rule in football.

I never said a word about forcing anyone to do anything. If Januzaj doesn't want to play for Belgium or Kosovo then he is free to turn them down, but that doesn't mean he should be able to represent any country he pleases, and it certainly doesn't mean that England should pick him were we in a position to.

That's why i said, i'm still "not sure how i feel about that" (Januzaj representing England). What i am a big believer in though is a persons free will and as said if Januzaj wants to represent England and become a British citizen then he CHOOSES to be British, holds a British passport and is much a citizen of the United Kingdom as people born here, like it or not that is just a fact in the world we live in.

I think you're being incredibly naive if you believe that Januzaj getting a British passport somehow means that he's choosing to become British in any meaningful sense. It would be a piece of paper and a means to an end, nothing more. Also, in case you're unaware, even if he gets British citizenship, he'll still be ineligible to play for England due to the Home Nations Agreement.

I never said it does, there's many other nations who have players and sportsmen representing them who wasn't born in their country (Spain/Italy/Germany & England). Because that's the way the world is now, especially in high population nations like the ones i mentioned. All this is because of free movement/job opportunities/better lifestyles/traveling overseas less time than traveling to parts of your own country, the human race has moved on from the primitive 'you are from this tribe, you have to stay in this tribe' or 'this is our land, you cannot enter this land'.

Again, this is just a weird straw man argument. Nobody said a word about freedom of movement, but living somewhere and being of that nationality in any meaningful sense is something completely different. I could go and live in France, but it wouldn't make me French, piece of paper or not. I mean, if you're going to endorse this politically correct fantasy that culture doesn't matter, and an immigrant who has been here for 5 minutes is just as English as I am, then why bother with international football at all? What's the point? You remove those deep cultural ties that bind the fans and the players who represent them and you end up with something that's barely distinct from club football, and utterly pointless.

Zuess99

Lol hahaha Ross Barkley is part nigerian , that's so cool. Reminds me of giggs being part african too.
If adnan is eligible for playing for england then its perfectly fine.

oggydude

How can a player who hasn't even played for a full season be even mentioned to be worth 50mil, sounds like a Carroll type of transfer. Great player who does seem to be United bound but with only 2.5years on contract can see him go next summer for cheap with a huge wage.

Home of Barca Fans