Sergi Roberto

ThwiX

Best midfielder around
It's the hype train. I've seen some comments as if he's better than Alves already.

Let's wait and see what form Alves is in when he returns. When he's at his best, no RB is even close to him, but if he's going to play like he did the majority of last season until shit got real at the end, it will be interesting what Lucho will do.
Is he just going to put Roberto back on the bench and give him some minutes in midfield now and then while Alves remains untouchable despite form?

Alarcón

He is a good RB but people are going overboard. Alves is still clearly better; Vidal as well. Come January, Roberto will be relegated to the bench again.

ThwiX

Best midfielder around
Seems like some people forgot how bad Alves can be at his worst. We can only pray that those won't be reminded of it anytime soon.

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
He went forward the last 2 games he played RB but against Atleti, he had to watch Griezmann and was probably instructed by Lucho to be a little defensive and cautious going forward. He had a goal saving tackle as well IIRC. IMO Sergi is a 7.5-8/10 at RB while in form Alves is 9.5/10

F

Flavia

Seems like some people forgot how bad Alves can be at his worst. We can only pray that those won't be reminded of it anytime soon.

Seems like many also forgot how good he is. And keep using a bad patch as the ultimate truth(it doesn't matter if he whole team was playing badly). How many times he had cr in his pocket. Also his performances against city, to name a few. I'd wait to see if Roberto is able to do that.

FC B

It's the hype train. I've seen some comments as if he's better than Alves already.

Pretty poor football understanding then:blush:
Seems like many also forgot how good he is. And keep using a bad patch as the ultimate truth(it doesn't matter if he whole team was playing badly). How many times he had cr in his pocket. Also his performances against city, to name a few. I'd wait to see if Roberto is able to do that.

I agree but I certainly don't want even to imagine myself a roberto vs. ronaldo:lol:

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

He is a good RB but people are going overboard. Alves is still clearly better; Vidal as well. Come January, Roberto will be relegated to the bench again.

Vidal isn't a natural RB either and played there rarely IIRC ,something like 10-15 games in that position only
I think S.Roberto might be main back up RB & DM and Vidal might be better used this season in attack as Pedro replacement

He went forward the last 2 games he played RB but against Atleti, he had to watch Griezmann and was probably instructed by Lucho to be a little defensive and cautious going forward. He had a goal saving tackle as well IIRC. IMO Sergi is a 7.5-8/10 at RB while in form Alves is 9.5/10

Last night his problem wasn't about going forward ,he moved forward a lot and wasn't defensive in his movement .it is about what he did when he got the ball in offense .most of the time he just played it to the back line again or the closest midfielder and didn't like to even try to do something with it like he had no business taking part of the offense .a vintage of his CM performance
That said it is his 3rd game as a RB against a team that was in CL final 16 months ago so no problem there .overall all good

This is so true, when Alves is on form Ronaldo is always invisible.

I still think Alves is leagues above him, but the fact that he hasn't even played 10 games at RB and is already putting in these kinds of performances against Atletico of all teams makes me think that if Lucho gives him the time he could be a starter for us at RB one day.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
I'm perfectly fine with him as backup RB, he seems comfortable there and has shown decent enough understanding of the position...

Either way, one day he will have a bad game as RB and the angry mob will come for him and say he was never good enough and should be sold...

anguy

Vidal isn't a natural RB either and played there rarely IIRC ,something like 10-15 games in that position only
I think S.Roberto might be main back up RB & DM and Vidal might be better used this season in attack as Pedro replacement

Hmm, I believe you people are overrating Vidal, he wasn't that great in Sevilla, he wasn't even sure starter. We bought him IMO, because we had few alternatives (I think Dnilo was our first choice) plus he was Catalan and not very expensive. Also he played position we don't have - a classical winger in 4-2-3-1. I really don't think he'll be a good fit or our attack, he either becomes RB or will be a bust I'm afraid.

Zinedinho

I'm not sure Vidal is good enough for that role. He wasn't even one of the best players at Sevilla offensively. Not a great dribbler, not a great finisher, although he's technically pretty decent, has great pace and stamina and the right attitude. We know Emery demands physicality and intensity, and we know Sevilla is a great team, but is a couple of steps below us.

To me, an ok forward at Sevilla that a coach like Emery transforms into a fullback is very unlikely to be relevant as a forward at Barça. Currently, he is as much a forward as Adriano.

And by the way, he shares with Sergi Roberto some of the qualities that made Emery see a potential fullback in him: stamina and pace.

Jombi

I'm not sure Vidal is good enough for that role. He wasn't even one of the best players at Sevilla offensively. Not a great dribbler, not a great finisher, although he's technically pretty decent, has great pace and stamina and the right attitude. We know Emery demands physicality and intensity, and we know Sevilla is a great team, but is a couple of steps below us.

To me, an ok forward at Sevilla that a coach like Emery transforms into a fullback is very unlikely to be relevant as a forward at Barça. Currently, he is as much a forward as Adriano.

And by the way, he shares with Sergi Roberto some of the qualities that made Emery see a potential fullback in him: stamina and pace.

Emery didnt "transform him" into a fullback. He played mostly as a winger for Sevilla, and has always played as a winger. He has played 10 games as a RB in his career if I remember correctly.

Zinedinho

Emery didnt "transform him" into a fullback. He played mostly as a winger for Sevilla, and has always played as a winger. He has played 10 games as a RB in his career if I remember correctly.

All of them in the last third of the season, if I'm not mistaken. The games that earned him a spot in the NT, precisely as a fullback, not a forward.

So yes, I stand by my words.

Home of Barca Fans