Sergi Roberto

N

Noldorin

Exactly. I'd actually rather keep Roberto than sell him because he could be a midfield utility man like Adriano has been for defense. He's well rounded in all roles of midfield, he's grown up with the Barcelona philosophy and tiki taka style of play, and can provide good squad depth and allow other players to rest or he can take over during injuries. I know that this role isn't the most glamorous but any person in the club will tell you that this kind of role is actually one of the most vital. Tito sees this and knows that Roberto will be an important player for Barcelona if he chooses to stay. Although since he is short on playing time for the next few seasons a loan to Espanyol will help him develop into a better player and become more useful for us.

Not Espanyol... their style is too far off for him to develop properly. I'd say a team more like Celta Vigo, if they stay up and continue performing alright!

Juan Shoe

Now this may be a little bit of a Football Manager idea, but if he's going to stuggle to get game time, he has good attacking and defensive skills and is young. Could he be made into a long term replacement for Alves? Perhpas not as dynamic but a bit more well rounded.

Now this may be a little bit of a Football Manager idea, but if he's going to stuggle to get game time, he has good attacking and defensive skills and is young. Could he be made into a long term replacement for Alves? Perhpas not as dynamic but a bit more well rounded.

We already have Montoya as a long-term replacement for Alves. He's more defensive, but we already have an offensive fullback in Alba.

Micah

That would be terrible. He's a playmaker and lacks pace. Im not going to go into detail of why he wouldn't suit that role because it's pretty obvious.
But i do think he could do a pretty good job in the wings, much like Iniesta was for most part of the season. He's a really talented chap, and i really hope he makes it to the team.

He definitely needs to get loaned next season, he's turning 21 this year and way too old to be plying his trade in 2nd division. He's just wasting his talent playing there. He really has the talent to walk into any midtable side. At times he looks disinterested, and i wouldn't blame him, because clearly 2nd division isn't all that competive. He needs to make the step up.

yahudi

Actually, both Pep and Eusebio tried something similar with JDS and Patri, respectively.

The advantage of that is having another reliable passer on the field. Other than that, neither JDS nor Patri added much to the play. On the other hand, the lack of positioning, pace and defensive awareness has cost the B team a couple of points already.

To make it short: none of Sergi Roberto's strengths (Dribbling, stamina, decent shot) are traits of a RB.

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
none of Sergi Roberto's strengths (Dribbling, stamina, decent shot) are traits of a RB.

Those are all good traits for a right back to have, stamina especially. The dribbling and shooting for the attack-minded right backs (in other words, us) and the stamina in order to get back in time and then forward again.

Juan Shoe

That would be terrible. He's a playmaker and lacks pace. Im not going to go into detail of why he wouldn't suit that role because it's pretty obvious.
But i do think he could do a pretty good job in the wings, much like Iniesta was for most part of the season. He's a really talented chap, and i really hope he makes it to the team.

He definitely needs to get loaned next season, he's turning 21 this year and way too old to be plying his trade in 2nd division. He's just wasting his talent playing there. He really has the talent to walk into any midtable side. At times he looks disinterested, and i wouldn't blame him, because clearly 2nd division isn't all that competive. He needs to make the step up.

I'll bow down to the knowledge of people who have seen him more often than myself. From what I've seen he isn't lightening but certainly not slow. He has good dribbling skills but also can defend. But as I say I've not seen him a lot. Centre mids generally have a good skill set to play fullback and I can see RB being a problematic position in the future. Montoya doesn't will me with confidence against the highest level opposition.

yahudi

Those are all good traits for a right back to have, stamina especially. The dribbling and shooting for the attack-minded right backs (in other words, us) and the stamina in order to get back in time and then forward again.

Other than stamina, both other traits are secondary for a RB. On the other hand, playing him there would greatly amplify his weaknesses: positioning, being easily shoved off the ball, defensive awareness and such. Especially if you put him in the highest backline (other than Zeman's Roma) in Europe.

kozza

Played a few minutes but was really good, he made two lovely passes that could have been assists, and was very tonic on the pitch, I want to see him playing more in next games.

ThwiX

Best midfielder around
I think he will be our "new" Xavi, not Thiago. I can see his future here at Barcelona. It's always the less hyped players that become the best players.

Home of Barca Fans