Sergi Roberto

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Roberto definitely was a better player at the CDM position. Better than Mascherano and Samper hasn't played enough to compare them.

There's a reason even Sampaoli won't use Mascherano as his CDM. He's not good enough for that position anymore and struggles moving the ball quickly enough, and efficiently.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
What.. I mean you literally never seen Paulinho play, at CDM position Roberto wasn't even better than Samper or Mascherano. Just an useless thing to say unless you tell me how the fuck is Roberto 10 times better than him

Roberto was great as a CDM. You probably didn't watch the matches?

clemente

Roberto was great as a CDM. You probably didn't watch the matches?

Lol no he wasn't, of course he provided great matches when played against cans, but when we had to play against strong oppositions using Roberto CDM instead of Busquets it was just bad, he was getting ran over, not surprised you don't know that.

gasgas

Lol no he wasn't, of course he provided great matches when played against cans, but when we had to play against strong oppositions using Roberto CDM instead of Busquets it was just bad, he was getting ran over, not surprised you don't know that.

when did we play roberto as CDM instead of Busquets against STRONG oppositions?

Neymessi

Roberto was goodish at cdm but what really made the breakthrough for him was his performances at right back at the start of the season back then. He was godly and the hype went berserk for him. Those performances lasted 5 or 6 games iirc. It was definitely his performances at RB and not the one at cdm that made everyone love him and wanted him to be a starter at barca.

xXKonan

Roberto at CDM vs Eibar. This is when things slowly started to turn around for him here. before that he wasn't featured a lot and got a lot of us questioning why he was still with us.

BarcaOG

Banned
we better not sell him..also LOL and a strong wtf to the notion that masche could have/could be a better RB...holy delusion

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
We didn't play him as a CDM vs strong opponents. Sergi was a great sub for Busi vs weaker teams like Eibar or Getafe. As a CDM he played 3-4 games in the end of 14-15 season and few games during his breakthrough 15-16 season. Also in the 16-17 pre-season, but then he was forced to become a RB. And that is when he had horrible displays, after becoming a RB. As a midfielder, he was always solid. In my memory, he played bad only vs Celta when they trashed us in 15-16 season. But then everybody put in a horrendous performance.

He is the best CDM for our style we have after Busi. I genuinely think you did not watch the matches.

serghei

Roberto was goodish at cdm but what really made the breakthrough for him was his performances at right back at the start of the season back then. He was godly and the hype went berserk for him. Those performances lasted 5 or 6 games iirc. It was definitely his performances at RB and not the one at cdm that made everyone love him and wanted him to be a starter at barca.

Yea, it started when Alves got injured vs Bilbao and everyone was extatic when Roberto came in and delivered a great game at rightback on one of the thoughest stadiums to play on. Then many people started to overrate him based on that relatively brief period of top form. Alves got back from injury and played RB again until he left. Then Roberto who was 2nd RB behind Alves got the first spot, and did fine for a while, but as soon as we entered the most difficult part of the season, he started to have problems and his limitations as a right back showed.

Happy that he's back in midfield. It's between Rakitic and Roberto as far as RCM is concerned at this moment.

Last edited:

BerkeleyBernie

Roberto had some problems in midfield. He often directed the ball into congested areas of the pitch; once started in one direction, he tended to continue that direction. I think one reason he did better as right back was because he was more behind the action and that requires less distribution savvy. We haven't really seen him in the midfield since, so it's hard to say how he'd perform. He may well have matured and become more skillful.

Neymessi

Yea, it started when Alves got injured vs Bilbao and everyone was extatic when Roberto came in and delivered a great game at rightback on one of the thoughest stadiums to play on. Then many people started to overrate him based on that relatively brief period of top form. Alves got back from injury and played RB again until he left. Then Roberto who was 2nd RB behind Alves got the first spot, and did fine for a while, but as soon as we entered the most difficult part of the season, he started to have problems and his limitations as a right back showed.

Happy that he's back in midfield. It's between Rakitic and Roberto as far as RCM is concerned at this moment.

I don't count on iniesta being able to play or be relied upon to start almost all matches as lcm. I think this will finally be the season iniesta will be started to rotate a lot and is mostly used as a trump card against tougher opponents while serving the bench for most fodder games.

clemente

We didn't play him as a CDM vs strong opponents. Sergi was a great sub for Busi vs weaker teams like Eibar or Getafe. As a CDM he played 3-4 games in the end of 14-15 season and few games during his breakthrough 15-16 season. Also in the 16-17 pre-season, but then he was forced to become a RB. And that is when he had horrible displays, after becoming a RB. As a midfielder, he was always solid. In my memory, he played bad only vs Celta when they trashed us in 15-16 season. But then everybody put in a horrendous performance.

He is the best CDM for our style we have after Busi. I genuinely think you did not watch the matches.

Mate you are literally saying right now he played against Getafe and Eibar well but was bad against Celta, and you are suggesting he should be our CDM and he is better than Paulinho? If we would play against Madrid 4-2-3-1 with Roberto as CDM next to Busquets it would be sorry to look at. I know barca fans will be biased towards their players but holy shit some of you are screaming for a reality check.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
Mate you are literally saying right now he played against Getafe and Eibar well but was bad against Celta, and you are suggesting he should be our CDM and he is better than Paulinho? If we would play against Madrid 4-2-3-1 with Roberto as CDM next to Busquets it would be sorry to look at. I know barca fans will be biased towards their players but holy shit some of you are screaming for a reality check.
He played as a CM vs Celta, not a CDM. I think he has never played as a CDM in an important game. I believe he will do well if given chance. Also I never suggested he should be our CDM, I said he is the best sub for Busi. Have you even watched Paulinho playing? He is not a CDM, he is a box-to-box CM.

RIZALDINHO

What.. I mean you literally never seen Paulinho play, at CDM position Roberto wasn't even better than Samper or Mascherano. Just an useless thing to say unless you tell me how the fuck is Roberto 10 times better than him

roberto is a much better cdm than Paulinho your making stupid logic comparing roberto with samper when samper has not played enough matches to to compare him and Mascherano was a good cdm when he was younger but know he's not good enough for that position know

behindbrowneyes

He played as a CM vs Celta, not a CDM. I think he has never played as a CDM in an important game. I believe he will do well if given chance. Also I never suggested he should be our CDM, I said he is the best sub for Busi. Have you even watched Paulinho playing? He is not a CDM, he is a box-to-box CM.

I see Roberto more as a box-to-box CM. Sure, he can play CDM when Busi gets rested, but all in all a CM position should suit Roberto better. I consider Rakitic will have his spot secured and Roberto is the first option to replace him while Gomes is the substitute of Iniesta. Additionally, Roberto will still be our "fireman" to play wherever we need him.

Home of Barca Fans