Sergi Roberto

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
I see Roberto more as a box-to-box CM. Sure, he can play CDM when Busi gets rested, but all in all a CM position should suit Roberto better. I consider Rakitic will have his spot secured and Roberto is the first option to replace him while Gomes is the substitute of Iniesta. Additionally, Roberto will still be our "fireman" to play wherever we need him.

Yes, I agree that Roberto is at his best when playing as a CM.

clemente

roberto is a much better cdm than Paulinho your making stupid logic comparing roberto with samper when samper has not played enough matches to to compare him and Mascherano was a good cdm when he was younger but know he's not good enough for that position know

Mascherano was literally never good CDM for us, I doubt that he even has had 1 good game there FOR US, and how the fuck is Roberto better cdm than Paulinho, have you even seen Paulinho play? Give me something, tell me some facts, traits, just ANYTHING to prove your point that he is better than Paulinho as cdm.

Raketa10

Mascherano was literally never good CDM for us, I doubt that he even has had 1 good game there FOR US, and how the fuck is Roberto better cdm than Paulinho, have you even seen Paulinho play? Give me something, tell me some facts, traits, just ANYTHING to prove your point that he is better than Paulinho as cdm.

For the last 3 years Paulinho is playing in China. He is 29 years old player who wasn't good enough for Tottenham. Is that enough for you or you need more??? :lol:

If someone just told me those facts I would never ever consider that player to be a Barca material. I really don't see why would anyone even consider him as a solution for our midfield. IT'S JUST WRONG!

On the other side you have a home grown midfielder who gave all he had last year playing as a fucking RB. So I would play him as CDM in front of Paulinho ALWAYS AND FOREVER!

We may argue if Roberto is better as CM or CDM but to tell me that Paulinho is better solution it's just ludicrous! There are for sure better solutions than Roberto out there but Paulinho is not one of them. Bringing shitty old players instead giving chance to La Masia youngsters brought us here in the first place.

Last edited:

Neymessi

By the look of things it seems like he is our much needed midfield signing. Going to be a crucial season for him to perform at midfield and his performances will be crucial for us depending on whether he fills the massive quality gap in midfield.

fergus90

He's matured as a player massively since his last time in the midfield. I've a good feeling about him this season.

Barcilliant

We really need to go back to our roots. The transfer market is becoming more and more difficult. Developing our own players should be our priority.

JamDav1982

We really need to go back to our roots. The transfer market is becoming more and more difficult. Developing our own players should be our priority.

That team was built that way in one freak generation of players.

If Barca are to remain at the top the biggest factor will be the players bought in and trying to develop home grown players to compliment it. Have that advantage over other top clubs buying top players;

ebieymjunior

If Barca are to remain at the top the biggest factor will be the players bought in and trying to develop home grown players to compliment it. Have that advantage over other top clubs buying top players;

Actually, the opposite would be ideal (buy players with potential very young, train them to be the best, let them grow into the best, and buy excellent players to compliment them), but I've kind of learned it's best not to argue with you :lol:

One thing I noticed is that with Xavi, he dictated the way we play, even in his passes (he dictates where the player should run and not the player that indicates where to pass the ball), which you really need the balls to do so, especially with superstars upfront. So no matter who plays in midfield, if they don't dare to stand up to our players (especially our forwards), and dictate the game, they'll have a tough time.

I think Sergi Roberto has gained enough confidence to be able to do so, and with his time in RB, also the defensive experience needed for that role.
Now he needs everyone's trust to do a good job and grow into that role.

Last edited:

Galning

Neither was it pure luck to get so many talented players from the academy. It takes a lot of work, vision, ... something that's been totally neglected since Laporta left. You reap what you sow.

Messi983

Actually, the opposite would be ideal (buy players with potential very young, train them to be the best, let them grow into the best, and buy excellent players to compliment them), but I've kind of learned not to argue with you :lol:

I think you both have a point. There are four ways to built/improve the team.

1. Buy proven worldclass players like Suarez. Of course this can also be risky as you can get a player like Ibra who has quality to suceed here but just doesn't fit for different reasons. Even with prices going higher and higher I believe a club like Barça can afford to buy a (let's say) 80-90M player every second year or so. But we need to find the right player(s) when we make those investments.

2. Buy proven but not yet worldclass players like Umtiti to develop them into potential next stars here. I think this is where we have to be most careful. Every average player nowadays is worth at least 20-30M, it's just the way market is and will be in the future unless it will collapse one day like it did at the start of this century when most Serie A clubs that were the most powerful then bankrupted. But with money clubs are getting from TV rights (especially in PL) and other sources this is unlikely. Anyway, for those 20-30M you can get an Umtiti or tens or hundreds of other players that clubs have buy and never met expectations so you really don't know what you'll get until you buy a player and see how he works in your team. Tons of players that have played well in smaller clubs have failed in bigger clubs. Good scouting and getting as much informations as you can about players can improve your chances to get the right player(s) a lot but there is still no guarantee you'll get Umtiti instead of Chygrinsky for that money.

3. This is where good and intensive scouting is even more important. Discover talented youngsters that will fit Barça system when they are still in smaller club so we can get them easier and cheaper (let's say Marlon, Mina - if he's really already signed - and we could even include MATS here). Then let them develop either in Barça B or loan them if they are not ready for first team yet. That's something I already wrote about in the Ismaila Sarr thread two days ago so won't repeat myself.

4. Give La Masia players a chance. But I think [MENTION=6099]JamDav1982[/MENTION] is right here. Just because we had "luck" to have the best player world will ever see and two of the best midfielders in history playing in the same team for years it doesn't mean fans should expect this will happen again. What we should continue to develop is players like Roberto, Pedro, Puyol (more on his pure football qualities because I don't think any player will ever have bigger Blaugrana heart than him) and possibly Busquets (I think he's a genius but individually he's still a few steps behind Xaviesta). But I don't think we should expect to produce another Xavi or Iniesta in next 15-20 years and I won't even talk about the next Messi. But even if we'll get lucky to get a player who'll be close to Xavi or Iniesta individual quality in future it's almost impossible he'll have the perfect midfield partner at the same time.

So in other words, while I do believe in La Masia it's not realistic to expect we'll get a homegrown core that could carry whole team like Messi and Xaviesta did (and Messi still does). I would be more than happy if we could have entire bench out of our own players one day in the near future and I believe this should be one of our goals as we could save 100M+ doing that. If we could also add 3-4 potential homegrown starters to them even better but this will be harder. But I think key roles of future team will again be in hands of outside players like it was in almost our entire history before golden generation. So we'll have to be smart and/or lucky to get 2 or 3 Suarez's instead of Ibra's and 3 or 4 Umtiti's instead of Chygrinsky. And last, we'll also have to hit a jackpot on 2-3 of players from that third group. Maybe we already found one in Marlon but now we should also do the same in other positions.

At least that's how I think balanced building of the team should look like. It should also be financially sustainable as long as we are not really missing on every player.

So looking at our potential team (in let's say 2021) I think we could have:

------------------MATS (3)-------------------------
Semedo (2)--Umtiti (2)--Marlon/Mina (3)--Cucurella (4)
???? (1)---???? (2, 4) --- Alena (4)/3, 2
???? (1)---- ???? (1, 2, 3) ----??? (2, 3, 4)

Numbers in brackets are from which group I mentioned above player for that position is or could/should be. So we got MATS and Marlon/Mina for relatively cheap because we buy them before they were already in big clubs while Umtiti and Semedo were already more proven/in bigger clubs and we had to pay more for them. I really believe Cucu could be our future LB and of course Semedo and Marlon/Mina should also prove them before we make them starters but for now I also believe in them.

So based on this I think we'll sign one worldclass midfielder while DM position will go to either a homegrown player (maybe Oriol Busquets) or to someone who will be already proven but not yet at top level (a "new" Yaya Toure would be nice). I added Alena to complete midfield but it could be another one from our youngsters (if not, we'll have to look for outside help) or maybe even Roberto. I think for him this will be a make or break season where he'll have to prove if he can be our future CM (in hopefully better working midfield/system than we had under Lucho) and we'll see how Alena will develop.

For RW position it could be Dembele. He's not worldclass yet and might still not be if/when we buy him in 2018 or 2019 but he'll be paid as a worldclass player and most believe he'll also develop into one until 2021 or before. He's not exactly a Messi-like replacement (we won't find one) but he still could become a special player.

As for Suarez replacement it could really be from any group except La Masia as I doubt we'll really produce that good striker. So try and sign a few players with potential over the next few seasons and see if one of them will be up to the task when needed if not we'll have to invest bigger money into a worldclass striker (maybe Dybala).

LW: I'd like to say Neymar but don't think he'll still be here in 4 years. And if he stays so long he'll be close to 30 already at that time so it's not like we could really look at him as part of our future team in 2021. So it could really be a player from any group except maybe first one as I don't think we could afford to again have three worldclass forwards (this time we'd have to buy all three as there won't be another Messi for free). But we could maybe produce a "new Pedro" who could take first team spot, at least for few seasons.

Then for the bench we could possibly have players like Mina/Marlon, Palencia, Roberto/Alena and hopefully another midfielder and forward too.

In reality Suarez (maybe), Messi, Pique, Busquets and Alba (hopefully not) will still be here in 2021 but their roles won't be the same as now and we should look to start for their longterm replacements.

Ok, it's enough or I'll really become BBZ. :lol:

xXKonan

I read on Sport, Valverde has been playing him in the Middle during training as a RCM.

well obviously since we have a RB now but good news nonetheless.

Home of Barca Fans