Sergi Roberto

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I agree. Okayish game. But Roberto's topic has become a new battlefield.

Because you cannot criticize him without people jumping in and claiming he's the next Cafu.

You voice concerns about Roberto's poor positioning and defensive play in pressure moments in the CL and you're hit with people claiming there's never been a more clutch RB than Sergi Roberto ever lol.

He has a shitty game defensively and have a limited impact offensively and makes one great pass at the end of a game and suddenly people start claiming he has a fantastic game.

Sorry, I'm not doing that.

Ironically it comes from some of the same people that used to shit on Messi for having one poor game in a season.

Nothanks

no one here, including me has said roberto is some god rightback
simply he fits our system tactically better than semedo and deserves to start in the big games.

others act as if he is the biggest defensive liability some even wishing we face a "real winger" (whatever the fuck that even means) so they can say they were right in the sense semedo should start or some other bullshit
on the "real winger" comment makes me laugh too.. as if the guy who can't even play for his national team, a nobody last year would stop a player like neymar or mbappe.

my case is simple, roberto has more pros than cons compared to semedo.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
He was awful on both ends. 0 crosses attempted and key passes all game. Perisic had his way up our flank the entire second half with relative ease.

Watch the goal replay and don't look at the ball. Roberto wasn't just trying to dive in with last ditch pressure, he was marking Icardi well before the ball fell to him. And despite that he let Icardi be directly in between him and the goal the entire time, with generous space. You have to fight for position in the box and make it hard for the player you're marking to receive a pass, not just let them jump onto it easily and do a 180 all without pressing him.

To those saying he played well or did alright, what EXACTLY did he do today that was positive? Average in buildup and wasn't making runs either, letting a few passes from Rakitic/Dembele just run by him.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
And just to clarify it because some of the idiots will start jumping in and calling Semedo for trash, no I'm not saying Semedo should be a definitive starter over Sergi Roberto. I do believe Semedo is a good player and I started his thread and wanted him at the club, but I'm having doubts about whether Semedo or Roberto should be a Barcelona starter at RB long-term.

Ideally it would be none of them as I'm not convinced by Roberto and Semedo is not showing enough either. Roberto's offensive contribution is grossly overrated while he's poor defensively and Semedo's offensive contribution is just non-existent so far.

Xaviniesta

no one here, including me has said roberto is some god rightback
simply he fits our system tactically better than semedo and deserves to start in the big games.

others act as if he is the biggest defensive liability some even wishing we face a "real winger" (whatever the fuck that even means) so they can say they were right in the sense semedo should start or some other bullshit
on the "real winger" comment makes me laugh too.. as if the guy who can't even play for his national team, a nobody last year would stop a player like neymar or mbappe.

my case is simple, roberto has more pros than cons compared to semedo.

Do you hate Semedo more than you like Roberto? Because the tone of this post makes it sound like so

jairzinho

He was involved in the build up at times but he is consistently suspect at defending. Needs to stick tighter to his marker. He was 1v1 against Icardi when he scored.

Nothanks

Do you hate Semedo more than you like Roberto? Because the tone of this post makes it sound like so
Nah i don't hate any of our players just don't think semedo fits our mold
i've admitted that he's improved in the past month compared to his last season and early months of this season.

hopefully he proves me wrong.

Cule4life

The Culest
What exactly did he produce today to warrant him having an "okay game"? Where was his godlike attacking output? Perisic had a field day today against him. Lucky that Perisic sucks and we had a let off. Yes the Icardi goal is on him too besides Busi. He was 1v1 vs Icardi and he allowed to way too much time to turn and position for the shot instead of closing him down quickly.

clemente

Love Roberto, he could be the face of our team, but he is such a liability in defence, Perisic was just having fun with him, he literally gets dusted by any winger in those 1v1 situations, what is gonna happen if he has to cover someone like Neymar, Mane? It blows my mind how Semedo is behind him, that "better offensively" argument is absolute nonsense.

Barcilliant

Again the Roberto fans with their excuses. Fucking Valverde! I hate that bastard. Semedo does great in games only to be benched.

Where is this fucking offensive output people are talking about? Roberto is woeful one on one and is so slow pace wise and reaction wise. There is clear bias here.

El Flaco

Lol? your going to blame the goal on sergi roberto?

the goal was gifted by busquets

This is insane asylum level delusional lol. The ball was being placed past Busquets and he stretched hard to intervene. Roberto completely got lost by his man and gave up the goal.

I like Roberto but Icardi took his time turning 360 to score the goal while Roberto did nothing.

He was okay. Goal was more on Busquets, or well almost only on him.

I don't think he was particularly poor tonight. The goal's certainly not on him.

He was involved in the build up at times but he is consistently suspect at defending. Needs to stick tighter to his marker. He was 1v1 against Icardi when he scored.

es the Icardi goal is on him too besides Busi. He was 1v1 vs Icardi and he allowed to way too much time to turn and position for the shot instead of closing him down quickly.

The full sequence for Maruto Icardi's 1-1 goal vs. Barca last night

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/s/3dev4/jetsax" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Home of Barca Fans