Sergi Roberto

Birdy

First, let's get something straight, this is not about "blame" here. This is about players who are not good enough stinking up the place AGAIN. When one capable player makes a situational error (bad touch basically), he can't be bailed out by them because they are terrible in a generalized way. With all the shit some people gave Semedo for his weak offensive output (deserved maybe), I've seen this type of play dozens of time, sometimes more than once a game, with Semedo tracking the runner and isolating him to the point that the worst we get from this "exposed" defensive shape is a corner against us. Because the man was fast and hard to beat in 1 vs 1 on pure speed or strength. Against Roberto, any decent player who can run fairly well, he smokes him I kid you not.

Thank you!
When you talk to people on this forum about Roberto/Semedo and point the obvious, is like the world turns upside down.
Semedo is maybe limited in many ways, and would never be anything close to WC.
But he is a proper player, an RB.

Roberto is NOT, and NEVER was, an RB (irrespective of whether someone put him there).
I don't honestly know if he has a position on the pitch where he can play as a proper footballer.

raedkuwait

if he starts the next game, then koaman is a pussy and another EV, and he started the youngsters only cause the seniors where injured.

xXKonan

We have been living in the RB predicament since Alves Left.

It's been Roberto plays, does well ends up dropping form, Vidal gets a chance ends up doing okay gets his ankle cleaned out and never again a contender for that spot.

We get Semedo and again we play Musical chair hell for the next couple of years as both Roberto and Semedo end up not really being what we needed.

We sell Semedo, we get Dest a much younger prospect and he has been inconsistent and Bob again gets placed there only to be much worse in recent memory due to not playing much since the first half of the season and Covid and his injury likely affecting him. Mingueza makes appearances and he's been pretty chaotic as an RB in a good and bad way.

Messigician

My heart breaks reading this dawgs.

Alves: "I showed that I was able to play for Barcelona for another 10 years. I tried to go back to Barcelona. I wanted to go back to Barcelona. I played to go back to Barcelona, but they didn?t want me anymore."

Alves: "Messi has given me advice before so I can do the same to him. Once he told me to stay in Barcelona because there wasn?t any place that was better. ?Where will you be happier?? he asked me. So I stayed."

Alves: "Now I have reminded him of that conversation and that a good friend [him] advised me that Barcelona is the best place ever. I haven't had an answer from him yet but when you leave Barcelona you realise how good it is."

Alves: "When I left the club, I just wanted to show my value to get back. I played as well as I could at Juventus but, unfortunately, the same people, who were against me when I was at the club, stayed there."

Bobo32

Mingueza's error is with the interception. What you say it's impossible. :lol: How can he stop a pass between him and Pique, they cover the zone, they apply the principles of zonal defense. The initial mistake is by Umtiti. He breaks shape, goes to intercept, and fails miserably. But still, the situation is containable. Barca has numbers (but then this is deceiving because numbers don't count if you have duds who can't run and fold 1 vs 1). Then, as I said, Pique covers for Umtiti's absence, Mingueza goes more centrally (basically a standard move), and Roberto has to cover the wide zone (again, as it is normal).

There are two mistakes here. Mingueza with the interception, and Roberto because he's a terrible defender who constantly gets beaten for pace by any winger with some speed (which is the majority of wingers since speed and pace are what they're known for basically).

Positionally, Mingueza makes no error. His mistake is purely technical, more precisely coordination. Roberto's error is what we've known of him. An unreliable defender who is a weak link in any individual duel.
It is not impossible but defending 101: if an opponent is headed towards your goal with the ball under control, not under pressure, make sure the ball goes on the outside instead of on the inside.
Mingueza needed to be maybe one step left and two steps back in your first picture, and sprinting back! He was in good enough position to intercept anyway, but was the only one who "failed miserably" in that situation.
Shit happens! But with a better position from the start, the interception would be easier.
I guess there are more man marking tendencies under Koeman, but that Roberto should be the most advanced in attack, and still follow and defend furthest back - it's impossible for anyone!
And what should the 3CB:s duties even be according to you? You say it's wrong for Umtiti to put pressure on the ball when there is only one player further up and both his defenders are in place to deal with him... What do Pique or Mingueza even add to defence in a situation like that? They shouldn't hinder balls inbetween them, they shouldn't break shape to put pressure, they shouldn't be responsible for runs in behind?
How is it not Roberto's business, when the pair is set from the start? Look at the picture, Roberto takes on the Granada player when Pique and Mingueza adjust for Umtiti missing. It's basically a back 4 there. Roberto is the RB, the RB is the one directly in charge to block the opposing wide player, whenever the defense becomes a 4, like here.

It's a standard move. If Umtiti doesn't wander, Pique is positioned where Mingueza is in the picture (or thereabouts), and Mingueza even wider, very close to where Roberto is, making Mingueza the marker of Machis.

Roberto has stopped because his marker smoked him and left him for dead because he's fucking slow and turtles should NOT be on wing duty, let alone at wingback where they basically have to be speedy monsters and make the whole flank up and down. That's precisely the point. The 1 vs 1 was Roberto vs Machis, Machis smoked him as if he wasn't there, then became Mingueza vs Machis, but it was too late.
If Roberto was 1v1 vs Machis, then Mingueza and Pique were 2v0. Even though they were further back, didn't run up and down the flank the whole game, and the ball appears in the central corridor just outside the penalty box after Minguezas mistake, you say that it's Roberto who should be blamed for not being first on that ball in that situation...
Roberto should tell or be told that Mingueza should follow that run from the start.
He was the same 2 steps behind that player the entire time, and had to stop in order not to foul him after he picked up the loose ball from Mingueza, and intelligently had his first touch outwards. Your lines are a bit fucked up, the angle was such that you can't find any player that would be first on that ball from that position.

Bobo32

Alves: "I showed that I was able to play for Barcelona for another 10 years. I tried to go back to Barcelona. I wanted to go back to Barcelona. I played to go back to Barcelona, but they didn?t want me anymore."

Alves: "Messi has given me advice before so I can do the same to him. Once he told me to stay in Barcelona because there wasn?t any place that was better. ?Where will you be happier?? he asked me. So I stayed."

Alves: "Now I have reminded him of that conversation and that a good friend [him] advised me that Barcelona is the best place ever. I haven't had an answer from him yet but when you leave Barcelona you realise how good it is."

Alves: "When I left the club, I just wanted to show my value to get back. I played as well as I could at Juventus but, unfortunately, the same people, who were against me when I was at the club, stayed there."

Yeah that was really a terrible decision to let him go, and missed opportunities to get him back. He would probably be the best option in 2021 still, but either way he definitely was the best option for a few more years than he got.

Richard.H

One of my favorite barca players. It's sad how the club treated some legends like Alves and Eto'o. Alves was the main reason that Juve side reached the 2017 CL final.

snowy

The same fatheads who let go of GOAT RB went on to extend Umtiti when he was playing hard to get and asking for a raise :lol:

Just Krazy! dude had more assists to Neo than both Iniesta and Xavi and Lucho's system would've been perfect with him

Richard.H

The same fatheads who let go of GOAT RB went on to extend Umtiti when he was playing hard to get and asking for a raise :lol:

Just Krazy! dude had more assists to Neo than both Iniesta and Xavi and Lucho's system would've been perfect with him

The amount of bad decisions made by this club makes you wonder if they were actively trying to make bad decisions. I don't think it's even possible to make as many consecutive bad decisions as this board has. It's like Bartomeu and the rest of these crooks wanted everything to fail. It feels like some RM spy espionage mission.

Total-Football

Listen Dawg. As much as we admire alves as a goat RB, the quotes are perfect reflections of the amigo culture. Old players feeling entitled to play eternally in barcelona based on past merits and based on their own good (notice how he spoke about the life in barcelona).

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Not sure he'd be able to play at a high level as a RB for much longer when he left. Kinda played more as a wing-back/winger/wide midfielder at Juve and PSG.

Anyway, fuck Bartomeu and the last board. Burned bridges with former players, other clubs, current players.

snowy

Yeah but Total, Alves wasn't old. Dude was still prime time and good to go for at least a couple of years.

The amount of bad decisions made by this club makes you wonder if they were actively trying to make bad decisions. I don't think it's even possible to make as many consecutive bad decisions as this board has. It's like Bartomeu and the rest of these crooks wanted everything to fail. It feels like some RM spy espionage mission.

Exactly! :pique1:

Barcagate 2.0 Loading...

https://tribuna.com/en/realmadrid/news/2020-10-28-you-did-a-great-job-soldier-now-rest-you-deserve-it-real-madrid-fans-have-a-field-day-as-/

Bobo32

Listen Dawg. As much as we admire alves as a goat RB, the quotes are perfect reflections of the amigo culture. Old players feeling entitled to play eternally in barcelona based on past merits and based on their own good (notice how he spoke about the life in barcelona).

Alves played well enough every time, both in Barcelona and later (at least what I saw) in Juve and PSG.
He was probably blamed on forums like these a lot when at Barcelona, just as Busquets, Stegen, Alba are so easily blamed right now. Replace them with Wijnaldum, Donnarumma, Robertson? and find out it will be like when Semedo was to replace Alves.

Sometimes I think it would be more fun to see you get what you want and see the club tumbling down into midtable contenders, than seeing these half-measures resulting in results like the last years and the older players of quality get all the blame by supporters...

ArtistCatalunya

***********************************2021/4/26/22404176/sergi-roberto-not-convinced-by-one-year-renewal-offer-report?fbclid=IwAR0IcZVNZaKpkHxjHfqmopzIDBPFANGc9IJiw4eFizaZHBoECo1oue791iE

Sergi Roberto isn't convinced by 1 year reneweal offer contract. He wants a longer deal. (No comment!).
If I were him I would aim at going to a team like Lyon or Roma. He didn't evolve as a player at all since 2016, now he is not Barcelona level. Time to make a change.
As for the next season, Dest and Emerson can do the job.

Home of Barca Fans