Sergi Roberto

Ursegor

World Champion
As of this moment, the hype is totally unwarranted. He hasn't remotely shown himself to be an 'heir to Xavi', and I couldn't care less about how he performs against the likes of Lechia Gdansk in preseason.

You guys are brutally undermining Xavi if you think his role is just making simple short passes and running around. From what he's shown, Roberto is completely afraid of the ball and just plays a complete passenger role. He doesn't make us better or worse, he's just there. Hell I've seen him make plenty of wayward passes around January/February as well so the 'calm, composed' label shit is just a perception and not an observation. It was alarming how poor he was with the B team last year despite being a 'senior' talent and how most of the praise just came as a reaction to Thiago's departure.

He even got a good run of games in the CDR, never shone or grabbed his chance like a truly impressive prospect. Xavi is a unique mind, brilliant and one of a kind. Roberto is simply correct and functional right now. I mean the fact that he's called 'the patient midfielder' says quite a bit doesn't it?

That being said he does perform decently with confidence and Lucho must have some sort of plan if he likes him so much. I hope to see a turnaround, though his best chance of that was being mentored by Xavi who's now leaving. Players have stepped up as their career moved on even though nothing indicated that'd happen, I hope Roberto can be one of these cases.

Now I'm 100 % confident he'll become a world class player. :pep:

JamDav1982

As of this moment, the hype is totally unwarranted. He hasn't remotely shown himself to be an 'heir to Xavi', and I couldn't care less about how he performs against the likes of Lechia Gdansk in preseason.

You guys are brutally undermining Xavi if you think his role is just making simple short passes and running around. From what he's shown, Roberto is completely afraid of the ball and just plays a complete passenger role. He doesn't make us better or worse, he's just there. Hell I've seen him make plenty of wayward passes around January/February as well so the 'calm, composed' label shit is just a perception and not an observation. It was alarming how poor he was with the B team last year despite being a 'senior' talent and how most of the praise just came as a reaction to Thiago's departure.

He even got a good run of games in the CDR, never shone or grabbed his chance like a truly impressive prospect. Xavi is a unique mind, brilliant and one of a kind. Roberto is simply correct and functional right now. I mean the fact that he's called 'the patient midfielder' says quite a bit doesn't it?

That being said he does perform decently with confidence and Lucho must have some sort of plan if he likes him so much. I hope to see a turnaround, though his best chance of that was being mentored by Xavi who's now leaving. Players have stepped up as their career moved on even though nothing indicated that'd happen, I hope Roberto can be one of these cases.

Reading back no one is claiming he is 'Xavis heir' and most are having their doubts.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Now I'm 100 % confident he'll become a world class player. :pep:

Wonder what'd happen if I say Cesc is not the true heir to Xavi :VdB:

Reading back no one is claiming he is 'Xavis heir' and most are having their doubts.

Well I never said that it was majority opinion, but I've heard the phrase thrown around a few times on this forum and other internet media. It baffles me that even some people would jump the gun that much. Even JDS wasn't really worse than him when he played. For example:

i always believed in him,said, his potential is greater than thiagos. Thiago is risky and flashy , he is the one. if he beleives it himslef, the true heir to xavi. Calm and composed. mobile and competent. He just needs that one extra gear on him. thats it

Either way, I was making a point. Not really accusing everybody but just giving my two cents about Roberto's current status as a prospect.

Butaan4barca

Wonder what'd happen if I say Cesc is not the true heir to Xavi :VdB:

Well I never said that it was majority opinion, but I've heard the phrase thrown around a few times on this forum and other internet media. It baffles me that even some people would jump the gun that much. Even JDS wasn't really worse than him when he played. For example:

Either way, I was making a point. Not really accusing everybody but just giving my two cents about Roberto's current status as a prospect.

i can't disagree with you, because you did make some descent points. But like i said in another comment, he is far from that point where he will be considered trustworthy, but he does at time just makes me feels, that he has got it, inside him. So that was more of an opinion and feeling than reality.

Last edited:

LeeRomeno

You guys keep forgetting that he is 22, Xavi at that age was heavily doubted by the fans as well. He only started becoming the Xavi we know during 03-04 season, when he was finally not used so much in defensive role. He was 24 then.

hardyboy

When you are talking about Xavi you're talking about one of the best midfielders to have ever graced the pitch and the best of his generation. I agree with Don.Andreas people here are brutally undermining Xavi...

L

linetty

Barcelona have offered midfielder Sergi Roberto (22), whose current contract expires next year, to renew until 2019. [sport]

F

Flavia

MD is saying he hasn't given an answer yet. That he'll wait to see what role he'd have, because he stayed on the bench with tito and tata. And he has many teams interested.

Zangash

Banned
MD is saying he hasn't given an answer yet. That he'll wait to see what role he'd have, because he stayed on the bench with tito and tata. And he has many teams interested.

He was just promoted for his first season with the first team under Tata. To be fair though, he'd have certainly be benched by Tito as well, looking at how he handled the other youngsters.

It's probably for the best he waits to give his answer. Everyone is saying Lucho loves to utilize youth players but the exact same was said about and by Martino and we all see how that ended up.

Maria

With Tito he was a B player and he played more minutes than all the youngsters put together did with Tata.

Zangash

Banned
With Tito he was a B player and he played more minutes than all the youngsters put together did with Tata.

Well yeah, the other youngsters could hardly get a combined 90 minutes under Tata, while Roberto got to play a full game against Celtic. Not really saying much of anything with that one.

Maria

Well yeah, the other youngsters could hardly get a combined 90 minutes under Tata, while Roberto got to play a full game against Celtic. Not really saying much of anything with that one.

With Tito Sergi got over 300 minutes while he was still playing for the B team..I don't remember him playing against Celtic in 2012-2013 though.

L

linetty

Sevilla are monitoring the situation of Barcelona midfielder Sergi Roberto (22), whose contract expires in 2015. [muchodeporte]

Come on, stay...

Home of Barca Fans