Sergi Roberto

khaled_a_d

I think no one still thinks that S.Roberto is better than Thiago,we don't need U-21 competetion to confirm it tbh
I am not sure what is the argument here tbh

zanela

Yeah, but then again you could just as well question players like Isco and Muniain. Roberto has 43 caps in the first division, majority as a sub. Isco has already played 2 seasons in the Champions League, Muniain is playing his 6th senior season for Athletic Bilbao. Why couldn't they unlock Serbia U21? I didn't watch the game but I doubt Roberto single-handedly dragged the entire team down. From what I'm seeing Saul scored an own goal and Spain generally dominated: 20 vs. 6 attempts, 8 vs. 1 corners, hit the woodwork ... Looks like parking the bus against Spain has finally reached youth levels.

There is a lot to criticize about Roberto's game but not carrying Spain U21 isn't high up the list IMO. If Isco is the next goalscoring Iniesta who everyone here wishes should join Barca in the future and Deulofeu is the "next Cristiano Ronaldo" ready to get gametime at Barca they should be the first ones to unlock Serbia U21.

I didn't mean to blame the loss entirely on him (though it may look like it). But going from Thiago to Roberto is a significant downgrade. The former effected the game by his leadership, organisation, and playmaking skills regardless of his teammates or the opp. conservative tactics. There is a reason their highly rated U23 bombed at the Olympics, apart from Adrian flopping in front of goal ofc. Their MF looked lost, and overrun by the oppn. Roberto, on the other hand, is usually a passenger player (as has been said already), and his presence in the team doesn't inspires anyone. With a weak central play, a team isn't gonna get far.

F

Flavia

I really don't understand why he stayed, and Denis was sent on loan.

He's not the patient midfielder, he's the passenger midfielder.

Neeraj

Yeah I don't get it either. Every game he plays, I try and keep my eyes peeled on him as much as I can, to see what it is about him, that gets him a spot on the midfield of the greatest club in the world. Is it his off the ball runs, is it his positioning? I've been looking for a year now, and am still drawing blank.

anguy

I really don't understand why he stayed, and Denis was sent on loan.

He's not the patient midfielder, he's the passenger midfielder.

Suarez is much more offensive guy, while Roberto can play both CM positions. It was thought, that Denis would have it much more difficult to break through with Iniesta, Rafinha, and even Rakitic as AM. Rafinha was considered to be more senior and "polished" AM after his stint at Celta, so they wanted to give him chance for next 2 years. In reality Rakitic took Xavi's place, and Iniesta and especially Rafinha were not that good as it was expected (I'm not even mentioning Roberto), so now it looks like it was a mistake.

Ritchie

Simply not good enough, Even Jonathan would offer more. We can't afford him as our back up midfielder for the next two seasons with this transfer ban. He just kills the midfield because he offers nothing and it forces Messi deep.

God forbid Rakitic or Iniesta get injured but they still need a lot of rest, particularly Iniesta, and the team aren't as effective when he starts.

F

Flavia

Suarez is much more offensive guy, while Roberto can play both CM positions. It was thought, that Denis would have it much more difficult to break through with Iniesta, Rafinha, and even Rakitic as AM. Rafinha was considered to be more senior and "polished" AM after his stint at Celta, so they wanted to give him chance for next 2 years. In reality Rakitic took Xavi's place, and Iniesta and especially Rafinha were not that good as it was expected (I'm not even mentioning Roberto), so now it looks like it was a mistake.

Denis is an Iniesta type of midfielder. Rafinha can play am, cm, rw. It'd be better if Denis stayed, for his profile. That's why the rumors of him coming back next season have started. He offers way more than Roberto.

Meh performance but I hope he is OK from that head knock.
He didn't knock his head, it was on his torso.

Darko

Doubt we will see him a lot when Rafinha comes back, given a chance to prove himself, but was not good enough yet again...

Ini8

¡Gr?*cies Xavi!
Why? We're extending Pedro and he's much worse, and we bought Douglas and he isn't even good enough for Levante.

At least Pedro had something to show for with his excellent seasons of 09/10 and 10/11. Sergi Roberto still hasn't done anything to warrant an extension, and yet, he gets it.

He should've been loaned out during the summer instead of Denis Suarez. There's much more promise in that kid.

Zangash

Banned
At least Pedro had something to show for with his excellent seasons of 09/10 and 10/11. Sergi Roberto still hasn't done anything to warrant an extension, and yet, he gets it.

He should've been loaned out during the summer instead of Denis Suarez. There's much more promise in that kid.

If we loan out Sergi Roberto to Sevilla instead of Suarez they don't agree to sell us Rakatic for peanuts.

I don't think anyone is actually stupid enough to think Roberto is more ready for a first team place than Suarez, not even Zubi.

Home of Barca Fans