Sergi Samper

Jaguar

Flair Trait
Is he diabetic or something??? Doesn't sound like a normal illness for somebody his age. Worried now :cry:

Yugi

he is probably hyperglycemic, wonder why they didnt find out as they probably do some blood tests frequently

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Hyperglycemia is merely the term for high levels of sugar in the blood...Can't be certain but it's possible Samper is suffering from Type I Diabetes or what's commonly referred to as Juvenile or Insulin dependent diabetes...There is no cure, it's basically a lifelong condition that will require vigilant attention from the player himself - if that's what's going on with him...He can lead a normal life but there are all sorts of pretty serious complications that can still occur, regardless of how well controlled his blood sugar is

Again, that's the guess...Would be a damn shame but there are lots of athletes who play even professionally with Type 1 Diabetes

Jaguar

Flair Trait
Hyperglycemia is merely the term for high levels of sugar in the blood...Can't be certain but it's possible Samper is suffering from Type I Diabetes or what's commonly referred to as Juvenile or Insulin dependent diabetes...There is no cure, it's basically a lifelong condition that will require vigilant attention from the player himself - if that's what's going on with him...He can lead a normal life but there are all sorts of pretty serious complications that can still occur, regardless of how well controlled his blood sugar is

Again, that's the guess...Would be a damn shame but there are lots of athletes who play even professionally with Type 1 Diabetes

No doubt he won't be the player he could have been if he does indeed have it, sad really :cry:

I'm a type 1 diabetic. It shouldn't alter his lifestyle too much as a professional footballer. It will take him a bit to get used to the condition, but with the medical staff he should be fine. Before a game he'll need to drink something high in sugar and possibly at half time. I think asthma would be more of a concern (for an athlete). Gary Mabbutt was a diabetic, and I think Steve Redgrave too. The medical team will have him under watch and it shouldn't affect his performances if he diets correctly. The worry would be to not have enough sugar cos to be hypoglycemic (levels too low) is akin to being extremely drunk - staggering, incoherent, unaware of the situation around you, whereas hyperglycemic (sugar levels too high) feels more like aching muscles and you can run that off, or adapt your warmup slightly. I might have oversimplified this but it should not affect his ability to play football to his highest level.

Tomchin

Are there any other elite footballers (who're playing for 1 of the top-teams currently) who also suffer from diabetes?

(btw, is it already confirmed that he has diabetes, or are we just guessing here?)

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
I'm really excited to see how he does with the B team. He's mature beyond his years (something Deulofeu, Thiago, etc. weren't at this age) and is a very smart player so that could lead to an earlier callup to the first team than other star prospects who had to play in the B team for at least 2 years.

JamDav1982

I'm really excited to see how he does with the B team. He's mature beyond his years (something Deulofeu, Thiago, etc. weren't at this age) and is a very smart player so that could lead to an earlier callup to the first team than other star prospects who had to play in the B team for at least 2 years.

Busquets to take over from Xavi in the more advanced role and Samper to come in for Busquets at DM. Song to bridge the gap.

Sorted.

Home of Barca Fans