Sergi Samper

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
With all these ridiculously low and stupid release clauses in their contracts, what's stopping other teams from plundering us (especially our B and youth players) and paying the buy-out money? Something so intangible such as a player's affection and loyalty toward us?

Spain......

khaled_a_d

Munir got first team play in a team that only really had Messi and Neymar. Pedro was there but he's not really a threat to anyone. Of course there were more chances for Munir at the time when he could sub in for any of three players with no competition, while Samper had to sit behind the greatest DM in the world, with Mascherano being capable of playing deputy. To say or imply Munir/Sandro are more developed is ludicrous. Bellerin gets first team play because he choose to climb down several tiers and play for Arsenal. Any of our young players can choose to play for a weaker team for first team action but some don't because they desire to play for Barca. Even now he's not even with Barca B. If Lucho decides he's not ready for the first team yet he'll be loaned.

What the coaches say or do now doesn't matter when discussing how he could evolve as a player. Two seasons from now Lucho's opinion on Samper's best position can change. It's quite obvious he has the capability of transitioning to a different role. It's just a matter of when/if the coach decides to make that jump. We've had plenty of players come through our academy who now play different positions than they did in the youth teams and even with the first team initially. Messi went from the RW to False 9, back to RW. Alba was a winger before getting cut and returned as a fantastic LB. Xavi was a deep lying playmaker (Seen as the heir to Guardiola, a DM, no less) before moving up. Puyol was a RB who obviously didn't become legend for us as a RB.

Robbie pointed out that he would have had better chance by now playing 1st team football .I am pointing that this could be true .not implying who is better
And sure ,there is always a chance for every player to change position ,it doesn't mean it isn't gonna happen .for example Puyol was CB in his youth career and tried at RB for a while but as you said ,he made his name in his original position as CB
Most of the change of position made by coaches who see players every day ,not by fan suggestion .Playing in different position could be tough for any players and might prove they lack qualities to play it .some players did it but most didn't
May be Lucho will change his opinion .but that is still an assumption based on Fans opinion this remains the fact about him

Both iniesta and CEsc were also DMs, Rafinha was supposedly a CF and was great at headering. Pique was a CF, Sergi Roberto used to be a winger. List goes on :lol:

those players changed their position between the age of 14-17 man .we are talking about a professional player who is 20

Robbie pointed out that he would have had better chance by now playing 1st team football .I am pointing that this could be true .not implying who is better
And sure ,there is always a chance for every player to change position ,it doesn't mean it isn't gonna happen .for example Puyol was CB in his youth career and tried at RB for a while but as you said ,he made his name in his original position as CB
Most of the change of position made by coaches who see players every day ,not by fan suggestion .Playing in different position could be tough for any players and might prove they lack qualities to play it .some players did it but most didn't
May be Lucho will change his opinion .but that is still an assumption based on Fans opinion this remains the fact about him

those players changed their position between the age of 14-17 man .we are talking about a professional player who is 20

The list gets shorter then but Sergi Roberto is still on it. Cm to Dm. Alves winger to RB. Henry CF to winger. Certainly not unheard of and for Samper the only difference would be his positional play he wouldn't actually be doing anything different since he's already creative and controls the tempo and already beats his man in advanced positions routinely.

khaled_a_d

The list gets shorter then but Sergi Roberto is still on it. Cm to Dm. Alves winger to RB. Henry CF to winger. Certainly not unheard of and for Samper the only difference would be his positional play he wouldn't actually be doing anything different since he's already creative and controls the tempo and already beats his man in advanced positions routinely.

I never said it doesn't happen ,but Samper doesn't control the tempo well for CM .CM position is tough and right now in Barca system it is totally different than his game btw.You can see some quality in players and you think he would excel in certain position but their might be other factors that you didn't count
Many people here wanted Busquets to play in advanced role as CM for example (me included btw) ,many thought Adama best position is RB ignoring his defense ,other said Bartra best position is RB .hell even Pedro was said to be our future RB by many fans
Bottom line ,it might happen .but people need to stop acting like it is forgone conclusion and say it is his actual position or the most likely .for every player you can name who changed position there is probably 3-4 players who stayed playing in their own position for most of their career

Robbie

Will he still be with Barca B next season? Or has he done enough to break into the first team. At his age, maybe it's smarter to go out on loan and play every week. He might end up like Jonathan Dos Santos

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
I think it is wrong to say that a player like Samper has to play every week if he wants to be at a club like Barca. If he does not get loaned out, it will be all right for him to get subbed from time to time and play Copa games.
The only players that you need to play week in week out at such an age are guys like Messi, Xavi etc. who are usually better than anyone else in the team at their position (no matter if they are 20 or 25) and who would leave otherwise. But it is certainly okay for guys like Samper (who are talented of course but no Ballon d'Or level talent) to train with the best for several years, wait for their opportunity and stay on the bench during that time.

For me it should be unusual for young players like Munir, Samper, Adama to step into the 1st team and get much playing time from the get go. Samper was 19 years old last year and played in CL and Copa. He contributed to two titles, trained with legends like Xavi or Iniesta, traveled with the team to a CL game etc. If you would ask him about last season, he would tell you it was a huge step forward for him.
Munir was 19 too. He started over Neymar and/or Pedro in Lucho's first games as a Barca manager!! Those were must win games and the kid even managed to score. Munir can himself a legit Treble winner and has also managed to play for La Furia Roja. The whole season was a damn fairy tale although he did not get games in the 2nd half of the season.

Where was Thiago when he was 19/20? He was with the B Team and played some games with the big guys but not more. 3/4 years later he is bossing Bayern's midfield and the only one always playing when fit, putting guys like Götze on the bench.
Be patient. :roberto:

navidjaan

I do not trust a coach who gives more pre-season minutes to Gerard Gumbau than Sergi Samper. I do not care how many Trebles he'd have to win.

Interlop

I do not trust a coach who gives more pre-season minutes to Gerard Gumbau than Sergi Samper. I do not care how many Trebles he'd have to win.

Because, obviously, giving Samper minutes is more important than winning a TREBLE when judging a manager's ability to coach a team to success.

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead

It wasn't because he rates Gumbau higher than Samper, it's probably fitness problem, don't forget that Lucho started Samper in CL game (against Apoel), Lucho undoubtedly trusts him.

Ini8

¡Gr?*cies Xavi!

That's the weirdest reason to not trust Lucho I've heard, especially after what he's achieved.

F

Flavia

Gumbau starting vs Chelsea. I don't understand Enrique. I just hope samper plays too.

Home of Barca Fans