Sergi Samper

BBZ8800

Imo, Samper's only chance to make it at Barca is if he will quickly turn into a "world-class" CM.

As a CDM, he is too weak, and not what we need, it seems.
He was always hailed as the Barca's future starter, so in that sense, he will (imo) probably never be good enough as a world-class level of CDM for Barca (the one on which we can rely against Real, Bayern, Chelsea, Psg and similar).
As a CDM, he could maybe turn into a squad player, and as a CDM who will play at Nou Camp matches against Levante-level of teams (like Bartra).
-- so, for that level, when we need to rest and rotate players=he would be probably good enough (again, the same as Bartra)
-- but, that also means that he would be just a rotation player, like Adriano, Bartra, Roberto
-- and that he will almost never play or be good enough against Real, Ateltico, Bayern, Chelsea etc
But, Samper's "problem" is that Lucho probably thinks that even Gumbau is a better option for a squad-player CDM than current Samper.
-- so, imo, it seems that Samper's future at Barca as a CDM is currently somewhere in between:
1. you will never play, because we have 2-3-4 better options as a CDM (Busquets, Mascherano, Roberto, Gumbau)
2. or, at best, if you improve a lot=you will turn into an episode role, and be Busi's replacement in Mickey Mouse matches for the next 5-6-7-8 years, and then, who knows, we will either play you, buy someone else, or promote some younger BTeam CDM with more potential than you.
So, his future as a CDM is not too bright.

Because of our new philosophy, where we are moving away from Pep's type of (technical but physically not too strong) midfielders, Samper can't be a CDM, but he has some chances to make it as a CM.
But it is not that easy after years of playing on different position.

So, imo, Samper only has some chances:
1. if he improves a lot in the next 1-2-3 Seasons (either in Bteam or on loans)
2. if he will play as a CM
3. and if he will be stronger in terms that he won't be pushed as easily nor when he has the ball nor when he defends
(Ok, there are some chances still as a CDM, but he would need to improve and strengthen in duels a loooooooooooot)

khaled_a_d

Munir and Sandro were added after the renewal of Pedro ,Lucho himself said that he doesn't know if he was gonna stay or not until he moved .it was in Pedro hand not the management .and Sandro and Munir were gonna stay with 1st team because of Lucho request .because he rated them highly .he actually counted on them since 2014 when we knew there was a ban.
DonAk is saying he wasn't loaned because of no promotion clause and for me that is just an excuse

If Samper was rated high enough he would have forced his way up ,we don't have many option in midfield either .with Roberto at RB we only had Iniesta/Busquets/Rakitic since September 16th
Players don't get promoted just because of promotion clause .in fact it seem like something like the new management(robert Fernandez) is against unlike Zubi who gave it for fun.the club didn't gave a shit about Adama's clause and didn't even train with 1st team and was finally sold to the highest bidder

And let's just talk about Samper without bringing Gumbau for a second
Look,Samper had good game last night ,his distribution is never in doubt IMHO .
BUT ,he doesn't know how to control the tempo and the game ala Xavi ,neither he is defensive quality like Busquets and both even showed last night against 3rd division team despite good game
And the more worrying of all is that his positioning ,both when we have the ball or not ,the mentioned 2 is just 2 of the greatest ever in moving without the ball ,they are always available for their teammates ,they are always in the right place .even defensively most of their work is done by being in the right place to make interception not by tackling ,those guys ware natural at that, even in Samper's age.that isn't his area of strength either

I am not trying to compare because it is unfair to compare a prospect for legends but those 2 guys are the players that Samper will have to play in their position .
Samper is more of a Pirlo ,you give him the ball and let him distribute it .but that doesn't fit at all with Barca philosophy by any mean .
That article explains it good btw https://grup14.com/article/the-challenges-that-la-masia-players-must-overcome-to-reach-the-top

Samper will have to adapt if he want a future here ,he need to learn at least few things .right now there look to be improvements in those areas while playing with Barca B .taking more responsibilities and learning more to control the game .hopefully will add some muscles b4 the end of the year
So regardless of Gumbau ,Samper is in a good place to learn at Barca B , for better chance in making it to Barca 1st team in the long term .next year he will be just same age of Roberto when he was promoted .
Player development is a long process ,some are ready at the age of 18 like Messi ,some need years like Roberto .some are late bloomers like Nolito who didn't play in Segunda until he was 24.
I can see Samper more like Roberto if he makes it,and both the fans and him need to patient

Last edited:

ManusXavi

This sounds risky but Samper needs game time with the first team. Yes there will be harsh personal lessons learned which may make him feel bad but we are seeing potential in Samper. The guy is only 20.

gasgas

Munir and Sandro were added after the renewal of Pedro ,Lucho himself said that he doesn't know if he was gonna stay or not until he moved .it was in Pedro hand not the management .and Sandro and Munir were gonna stay with 1st team because of Lucho request .because he rated them highly .he actually counted on them since 2014 when we knew there was a ban.
DonAk is saying he wasn't loaned because of no promotion clause and for me that is just an excuse

If Samper was rated high enough he would have forced his way up ,we don't have many option in midfield either .with Roberto at RB we only had Iniesta/Busquets/Rakitic since September 16th
Players don't get promoted just because of promotion clause .in fact it seem like something like the new management(robert Fernandez) is against unlike Zubi who gave it for fun.the club didn't gave a shit about Adama's clause and didn't even train with 1st team and was finally sold to the highest bidder

And let's just talk about Samper without bringing Gumbau for a second
Look,Samper had good game last night ,his distribution is never in doubt IMHO .
BUT ,he doesn't know how to control the tempo and the game ala Xavi ,neither he is defensive quality like Busquets and both even showed last night against 3rd division team despite good game
And the more worrying of all is that his positioning ,both when we have the ball or not ,the mentioned 2 is just 2 of the greatest ever in moving without the ball ,they are always available for their teammates ,they are always in the right place .even defensively most of their work is done by being in the right place to make interception not by tackling ,those guys ware natural at that, even in Samper's age.that isn't his area of strength either

I am not trying to compare because it is unfair to compare a prospect for legends but those 2 guys are the players that Samper will have to play in their position .
Samper is more of a Pirlo ,you give him the ball and let him distribute it .but that doesn't fit at all with Barca philosophy by any mean .
That article explains it good btw https://grup14.com/article/the-challenges-that-la-masia-players-must-overcome-to-reach-the-top

Samper will have to adapt if he want a future here ,he need to learn at least few things .right now there look to be improvements in those areas while playing with Barca B .taking more responsibilities and learning more to control the game .hopefully will add some muscles b4 the end of the year
So regardless of Gumbau ,Samper is in a good place to learn at Barca B , for better chance in making it to Barca 1st team in the long term .next year he will be just same age of Roberto when he was promoted .
Player development is a long process ,some are ready at the age of 18 like Messi ,some need years like Roberto .some are late bloomers like Nolito who didn't play in Segunda until he was 24.
I can see Samper more like Roberto if he makes it,and both the fans and him need to patient

i am on course to gain a lot of muscle as well, my program starts next month. may be Samper and I can be gymmates :p

khaled_a_d

There was an United scout present at the villanovense game, though.

Every club has plenty of scouts whose job is to go and watch games and right reports .that doesn't men they have interest to sign him .there are probably dozens of scouted players by every big club

F

Flavia

Every club has plenty of scouts whose job is to go and watch games and right reports .that doesn't men they have interest to sign him .there are probably dozens of scouted players by every big club

It was a match vs a segunda b team. They were certainly there to watch some specific players. Not the 1st time he's been linked with epl teams either.

Bran the Greenseer

I think samper still has alot to learn, his tempo control from DM position is great imo, i think he just needs to adapt to CM. But his talent is abundantly clear and he needs to be shown confidence from management like gumbau has been shown. Honestly looking at Gumbau he may actually turn into a great DM, he has the physicality and can make tidy passes already. And looking at him now he should be called up and given chances like he has been but I think Samper should also be given a go at CM because his passes/passing iq is already first team barca level. He needs to bulk up some more to ride challenges like iniesta/xavi do but Lucho should be calling him up a little more.

khaled_a_d

It was a match vs a segunda b team. They were certainly there to watch some specific players. Not the 1st time he's been linked with epl teams either.

I am not denying he was watching him ,the rumor is that he was there for him and Kaptoum
But I am saying that a scout watching a player doesn't mean a lot in the 1st place . every club probably scout many players and leave reports for the decision maker

ManusXavi

I am not denying he was watching him ,the rumor is that he was there for him and Kaptoum
But I am saying that a scout watching a player doesn't mean a lot in the 1st place . every club probably scout many players and leave reports for the decision maker

I can't agree with you here.
I'm with Flavia on this one.

khaled_a_d

I can't agree with you here.
I'm with Flavia on this one.

Everyone has his opinion ,but I can tell you something like 20 players Braida and Roberts had scouted .not to mention other scouts too
And remember Bojan senior?the guy asked the management to buy Varane and Courtois when he scouted both .
Again ,every big club has scouting departments ,guys who look for talent everywhere and give reports to the decision maker (boar/sporting director/coach etc)

Home of Barca Fans