Sergiño Dest

Bobo32

Alba has, or had, amazing pace and endurance. He times his runs amazingly, especially when the ball was served by Messi. His cutbacks are a little suspect most of the times. Defensively if he can't use his speed to sweep long balls he is not good on an organized defense. His mentality is that of a 10 year old child being bullied in school. That's my evaluation of him.

Sure, this is the evaluation of a Barcelona fan that has tired of him as years passed, who knows his weaknesses and has taken his strengths for granted.

Marcelo is not as fast or as physical overall, he is sometimes 5kg overweight, he is as unreliable defensively, not only because he lacks the skills, but because he sometimes doesn't even bother. He is technically excellent, but mostly wants the ball on his feet. He dribbles very well and can open up defences that way, but sometimes he loses the ball in these situations giving away good counters for the other team. His mental age is that of Albas badly raised son...

Alba, like Carlos or Marcelo, is an attacking left back. To compare him to Maldini is like comparing Makelele to Zidane. But Alba is more reliable defensively than those Brazilians, and he offers about as much offensively, although not in the same way.

Porque

If I'm PSG then I am all over trying to bring in Alba given they need a LB.

Messi withdrawal symptoms? Check
Can play with Neymar? Check
Can play with Messi? Undoubledly check
Speaks French? Le Check

JohnN

Sure, this is the evaluation of a Barcelona fan that has tired of him as years passed, who knows his weaknesses and has taken his strengths for granted.

Marcelo is not as fast or as physical overall, he is sometimes 5kg overweight, he is as unreliable defensively, not only because he lacks the skills, but because he sometimes doesn't even bother. He is technically excellent, but mostly wants the ball on his feet. He dribbles very well and can open up defences that way, but sometimes he loses the ball in these situations giving away good counters for the other team. His mental age is that of Albas badly raised son...

Alba, like Carlos or Marcelo, is an attacking left back. To compare him to Maldini is like comparing Makelele to Zidane. But Alba is more reliable defensively than those Brazilians, and he offers about as much offensively, although not in the same way.

I do say in my post specifically: "amazing pace and endurance", "times his runs amazingly".
So, there are his abilities, not taken for granted. I don't ever mention Marcelo, who I rate much much higher as a player, no matter if he sometimes is 5kg overweight. That is 5kg of brain missing from Alba some times also.

Bobo32

I do say in my post specifically: "amazing pace and endurance", "times his runs amazingly".
So, there are his abilities, not taken for granted. I don't ever mention Marcelo, who I rate much much higher as a player, no matter if he sometimes is 5kg overweight. That is 5kg of brain missing from Alba some times also.

I saw that. Your assessment was fair, but I still think a bit shadowed by his reputation in the last two years or so.
Dani Alves could've been described a bit similarly in his last Barcelona year(s), but with time his status becomes higher. I think Alba will be almost as hard to replace, and I think in 5 years you might focus a bit more on his strengths when you describe him, and look past some of his weaknesses a bit more, even if I don't disagree with your overall picture too much right now.

Horatio

You're welcome
If I'm PSG then I am all over trying to bring in Alba given they need a LB.

Messi withdrawal symptoms? Check
Can play with Neymar? Check
Can play with Messi? Undoubledly check
Speaks French? Le Check

Speaks French? Since when?

jamrock

Useless truly, but he is fast, we are team in desperate need of pace, so for that reason alone he & alba Has to start unless Emerson adpats and shows quality.

JamDav1982

There are top full backs out there like Andy Robertson that doesnt have a fraction of the ability on the ball but they play a simple game of up and down park always busting a gut to over lap and get ball in early.

Dest cannot do it.

Rarely ever bombs on past the wide player and takes ball at pace. He is obsessed by getting ball and slowing down to take players on and it rarely works.

Home of Barca Fans